Author Topic: My son has just cut a hole in my leather sofa!!!!  (Read 6519 times)

cocopops

• Acre
My son has just cut a hole in my leather sofa!!!!
« on: December 02, 2009, 16:23:34 »
We only had it on Saturday, it was second-hand but after a good clean it was lovely.

I have just noticed a 5cm x 1cm hole in one of the seats.  I know that you can get leather repair kits for car seats so does anyone know of one that is any good?

It is my sons 6th birthday next week and the party he was promised is now cancelled.  There is no way this could have been an accidental snip!  He normally well behaved, as well as any normal boy of his age at least.  I am fuming and upset aaaghhhh.

betula

• Hectare
Re: My son has just cut a hole in my leather sofa!!!!
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2009, 16:33:25 »
Oh dear....he won't do that again in a hurry I should think............reminds me when my little un decided to draw all over his nicely painted bedroom wall.

:o :'(

debster

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2009, 16:33:46 »
oh Cocopos, the joys of parenthood. Im sure in time this is one of the things you will look back on and laugh at, I cant advise you about leather repair kits as i have no experience but good luck.
I remember my daughter spilling spaghetti bolognese on my brand new carpet, at the time i was furious but in fairness it was an accident.
heres a big hug for you, just remember they are not children very long, sadly

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2009, 16:47:52 »
I feel for you.

But do think about whether the punishment is appropriate, after all it may affect his relationship with other children.

plot51A

• Hectare
  • Norfolk - we do diff'rent!
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2009, 17:06:44 »
Oh dear, can understand that you're cross. My son, aged about 3 1/2 at the time, somehow got hold of some scissors into his bedroom and cut a hole in his duvet - to find out what was inside - and a hole in his bedroom curtain - so he could lie in bed and look at the moon. Logical when you think about it (to a small child anyway.) Do hope when you're feeling calmer your little boy's party can be restored, you say he's normally good and he's still only 5.

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2009, 17:15:35 »
My little un cut some of her hair off when she was three, other half was none to pleased, the hairdresser had to come round and sort it out, and before you ask the scissors were out of her reach and they was plastic blunt ended ones.
You will calm down Coco, punish yes, but see if you could work it around the party.     ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

emmy1978

• Hectare
  • It's good to be in my gardening shoes again!
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2009, 17:25:31 »
Oh no, poor you! You just give up trying to have nice things when you've got kids.
My eldest snipped my new curtains when she was 4 and both my girls have cut their own hair as I had metal kids scissors! One cut herself a sidey and the other just cut a random chunk from the top of her head!!
I know he does deserve a punishment but with 5 year olds it really needs to be immediate-he will struggle to understand why he isn't having a party and you will instantly feel bad that he didn't have one and then you'll have mum guilt as well as your snipped sofa!
As he is really 6 now I would talk to him and ask him if he would be pleased if you cut something of his (fav t-shirt or whatever). He will understand what you're saying.
Big hug for you and your ruined sofa!
Don't throw paper away. There is no away.

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2009, 17:45:56 »
Sharp objects and children don't mix.  I remember when I was about seven, the morning of a school photograph, I decided to cut off one of my eyebrows.  That was more years ago than I care to remember, and I can still hear my mother's voice  :o :o :o :o :o >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(
The Tuscan Beaneater

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2009, 17:55:24 »
I was a little boy like that once but I was always sticking my Mums knitting needles in the arms of the three piece, I think if we had a leather suite in our house when I was growing up in the 50's we would of eaten it,  don't worry you will be laughing about it when he is eighteen, ;D

cocopops

• Acre
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2009, 18:17:43 »
I have calmed down a bit now, done some research and think I can fix it.  My husband, Noel, came home after a 9 hour day working in the outside and is not impressed.  Luckily we are not an argumentative family, I grew up in one of those.   He just works so hard for us to have a nice house and this has obviously upset him.

I have attached photos of the area that Noel has converted to the living room - my kitchen for 2+ years (without even a window), how it looked on Sunday evening with the 'new' sofa and the damage.

I am sure the Max will have some sort of get together with his friends, maybe not what he wanted but he does need some sort of nonphysical discipline.

I must admit, having heard all the other horror stories, yes it part of the joys of parenthood.  Some of the stories are very immaginative on behalf of the children!

emmy1978

• Hectare
  • It's good to be in my gardening shoes again!
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2009, 18:28:14 »
I don't know what sort of party you were planning but maybe now you could say something like he can have 2 friends round for a party tea as you have to spend all your money on fixing the sofa now and what a shame etc.
He will have a good time with his friends anyway but at least you will get to deliver the punishment of your choice. I dunno-such a shame-your beautiful living room-how long did you get to enjoy it before he did that?
Don't throw paper away. There is no away.

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2009, 18:45:23 »
Oh dear! as others have said.. the joys of parenthood. My daughter told me yesterday that my Great Granddaughter decided to help Daddy wash his car only trouble was that she didn't have a cloth so she decided to use a piece of slate. He now has quite a few scratches on the wing of his car. Chloe-Anne couldn't understand why Daddy was cross, well, she is only 2!!

cocopops

• Acre
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2009, 19:01:31 »
Lorna, you have just reminded me of something I did as a 'grown-up'.  I had a metallic blue car with loads of tar marks on it.  I used my initiative and used a scouring pad to remove them, and cleaned the whole car while I was at it.  The whole car went white, it took several bottles of t-cut and loads of elbow grease to sort it out.  I hope the slate marks come out without too much hastle.

It also reminded me that about two years ago Grace and Max decided to tip the hot chocolate powder all over the floor, add water and make a skating puddle.  That too ages to clean up but then the house was at the 'camping' stage. 

tomatoada

• Hectare
  • south birmingham
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2009, 19:05:13 »
Cocopops  welcome to the world of rearing boys.  I have 3 [now grownup] boys.  If this is the worse he does you are lucky.   Get over it.   One could say where were you?   I think delayed punishment is not good.   He has no idea at his age that it was wrong.  Responsibility starts at about 7 years.

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2009, 19:06:42 »
cocopops  don't think t-cut will work this time apparently the scratches are down to the metal. I expect my grandson (mechanic and sprayer) will come to Martyn's rescue.

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2009, 19:08:29 »
Cocopops welcome to the world of rearing boys.  I have 3 [now grownup] boys. If this is the worse he does you are lucky.   Get over it.   One could say where were you?   I think delayed punishment is not good.   He has no idea at his age that it was wrong. Responsibility starts at about 7 years.

No need to be unpleasant.She did not post for a lecture off you.

gwynnethmary

• Hectare
  • Hartlepool
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2009, 19:16:56 »
Oh dear, what a shame!  You will naturally feel angry and upset.  I wonder why he did it?  Sometimes it's just an experiment- I'll bet he wishes he hadn't now!  I think I'm with Emmy's idea for a very tiny birthday tea- I'm sure when you've calmed down you'll be able to remember the reasons you would want to celebrate him -it would help him to understand a little about the idea of consequences to our actionsas well as relieve your feelings of "mummy guilt"(love that expression!)  As to what you could do- maybe a very large throw?  Leather is a bit chilly to sit on anyway, and you might find cream to be a bit of a problem in other ways too (my friend's adult daughter stained their new cream sofa with her jeans, and it never came out- she uses throws!)

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2009, 19:29:06 »
What you need to do is find some where underneath the sofa or one of the chairs where you can cut a piece off safely and will be unseen.
you need two bits one which will need to be bigger than the hole and one just slightly bigger, this one you place under the rip and then mark round the the edges of the rip onto it. Take it out and cut to size.
The bigger piece you you glue in (not super glue ) under the hole let it dry then glue the second piece into the whole
Unfortunately i cant think of the name of the glue you need at the moment NOT super glue
When you wake up on a morning say "good morning world" and be grateful

DAVY

gwynnethmary

• Hectare
  • Hartlepool
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2009, 19:34:16 »
Copydex?

lewic

• Hectare
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2009, 20:04:30 »
Are you sure the kid did it? If its a second hand sofa it may well have had a cut that was not immediately visible. Then someone sits on it and opens it up and rips it more.

Unless the child admits it or is making up obviously impossible excuses, I would not be so hasty in apportioning blame. You may have just bought a sofa with a hole in it.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal