Produce > Kept Animals

Bees and Beekeeping

<< < (50/50)

Plot69:
My bees have made it through their first winter. I provided them with sugar but they wasn't that interested in it. They've been out and about foraging for a couple of weeks now coming back loaded with pollen. Can only imagine it's from all the heather filled gardens that abound in this viilage.

So happy they made it after such a wet winter.

Robert_Brenchley:
An utterly uncooperative swarm I tried in vain to deal with!

http://thisandthat-robert.blogspot.co.uk/2014/06/a-swarm-arrives-and-leaves-again.html

Melbourne12:
I looked out of the window this sunny morning to see what I thought must be a swarm either forming or dispersing!  Obviously that wouldn't be happening at this time of year, and I realised that a huge number of bees had arrived to feast on the ivy that proliferates in the line of trees at the end of our garden.

Everything is happening early this year.  Normally the ivy is one of the last sources of top-up supplies for the winter.  I hope that this doesn't mean that the bees will run out of stores before the spring.

brownthumb2:
 we had a swam of bees arrive  under our shed at the Lottie  as they were right by the door we wanted them moved   luckily our next door neighbour is a bee keeper so was able to help us   He removed part of shed  floor and he couldn't locate the queen so put a brooder box on top of the hole with some honey smeared in it  Hoping the queen will find her way in during the night hes going back this morning to check  with the view of moving them to night. We would have loved to have an hive on the plot but have no experience in bee keeping

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version