Bees and Beekeeping

<< < (49/50) > >>

Robert_Brenchley:
Another swarm which arrived yesterday.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAfRc7qXXP0

Mikeakabigman:
Fascinating , thanks for sharing

Nigel B:
Just something that I have always wanted to ask but never met the right person yet....
SooOooo.. :wave:
If a beehive was built and left empty, and assuming there were no other hives nearby, what are the chances that honey-bees will find and colonise it?
 'If you build it they will come' sort of thinking...
Just so I know, yunno?

Robert_Brenchley:
If it's a new hive, probably not that great. I get them moving into empty hives every year, but they're attracted by the smell of old broodcomb, and I have hives deliberately set up to attract them.

goodlife:
It seems like ages since I've last time seen my bees, or any bees. It was beginning of the December when I dropped some fondant on as 'emergency feed' to keep them going for months ahead.
Last few years I've been paid to keep bees on our local shopping centre's roof, but just got call that they wanted to end it...so today being reasonably good day we went to fetch the hives back on allotment.
One hive, that I knew had fairly good size winter colony was active and eating the fondant away..that was packed VERY carefully for transport..other one, no sign of any life and fondant wasn't touched neither. I didn't lift the crownboard to see if there was any live ones left or not, but 'packed the hive', plenty of straps on and off we went.
Back on the allotment, once I removed the bungs from the entrances....."whoaaa!" ..loads of bees came to check up their new recidence...and from both hives  :icon_cheers:
Now I feel like the spring is almost there...bees were sunning in their new spots and so far future is looking positive!!!!!!!...at least there is bees in there. They are going to be pampered with plenty of more fondant to make sure they don't go hunry...spring feed to follow to get them really going and then there is no stopping them...LET THE HONEY FLOODS COME... :tongue3: :icon_cheers: :sunny:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version