Author Topic: UK opinion on Swine Flu needed asap please  (Read 1469 times)

cocopops

• Acre
UK opinion on Swine Flu needed asap please
« on: November 22, 2009, 18:55:37 »
As some of you know I live in Brittany, France.  I have followed the UK media with regards to SF.  It has only just reached here so is big news, schools closing, headline news in the local papers etc.

Both my children 9 & 6 have been really unwell this week, high temps, vomiting, runs and coughs.  I took them to my doctor who said they had a gastro problem.  I was up nearly all night checking my son's temerature (Max).  He got scared this morning as his throat was tight  and he wanted to cough but he found it hard (sounds like croup).  My hub took him to the A&E who said that if he had SW then he would be constantly coughing and have a temp of over 39 (was 0.3 below).

I do wonder if they are expecting SW to have the symptoms of the Black Death, as the UK media lead us to believe before.

The school in the next village has been closed for a week so it is close.  Don't get me wrong, if they have it then we are amongst many.  I am just glad that Max is now on antibiotics for his 'chest infection'.  I have read about complications and late diagonisis so as a mum I am obviously worried.

Have any of you had this, or more specifically children / grandchildren, or am I barking up the wrong tree / over anxious mum?

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
Re: UK opinion on Swine Flu needed asap please
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2009, 19:07:03 »
I work at a school and have seen plenty of children and adults with SF - fever and high temps seem to be the most indicative factors not heard of any having gastric problems.  Most of them had very mild symptoms but latterly many have been having bad aches..basically we have been told that unless you are runing a high temp then its not SF..

but then again I do IT so I'd listen to your health people not me!
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2009, 10:16:14 »
As I understand it onset of swine flu is fast and involves a temperature.  The current strain is of short duration and only a danger to pregnant ladies, people with underlying health problems and, it seems, young children who are more likely to be admitted to hospital with complications.

At OH's office - hundreds of people - in Brussels they have banned the morning kissy kissy greeting, told people who suspect they are sick to stay at home and not spread the infection and have installed hand washing systems about the place like you see in hospital corridors now.  All employees have had the vaccine.

Meanwhile, we just carry on as normal at home but are washing our hands more frequently too.
Obxx - Vendée France

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2009, 10:41:19 »
I think as your son has had upset an stomach etc it isn't swine flu. OH has had it (in the summer) and high temperature etc were the classic symptoms (and no upset stomach etc)

Hope your kids are on the mend  :)

Alimo

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2009, 13:23:51 »
I had it early summer very high temp, but feeling cold and achey all over andupset tum..

It is included in symptoms, I had to stay in bed for 3 days and felt better after a week.

Alison

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2009, 17:12:36 »
My OH had the swine flu jab on Friday and he's had a very miserable weekend with it I thought last night I was going to have to take him to A&E before morning. It was all swollen up up and he had a rash covering about 10cm square around it and it was very sore, he was convinced it was infected. However it finally calmed down a bit overnight.

Now it should be offered to my two boys but I'm quite nervous about that now.

cocopops

• Acre
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2009, 17:53:53 »
Thanks for the advice and best wishes.  Daughter Grace is now back at school but it was very unlike her to be quiet and subdued.  Max has settled down somewhat, just a cough that sounds tight.

Everyone who I speak with keeps asking me if it Grippe A - swine flu.  I have told them that two doctors have given me different opinions, but I have been assured that it is not sf.  I still think that the fear of a hugely fatal strain of flu, that was experienced in the UK earlier in the year (the fear that is), is prevalent here. 

Living in a country that is big on kissing and handshaking it would be very easy to spread a deadly flu.  For a culture that is immaculately clean I did notice that when I went on a school trip with Max I was the only one that washed the children's hands after they used the toilet.  By the third toilet trip I did notice that the others started to though.

My main concern now is for my best friend who is 23 wks pregnant.  Our daughters are also best friends.  If mine did/have sw I hope she does not contract it.

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2009, 18:19:38 »
good to hear they are on the mend  :)

On the subject of french hygene / washing hands I've noticed that one too  :-X

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2009, 18:35:33 »
It's strange that you say it has only just reached you. I'm sure I read about it in the paper when I was in France in August.

cocopops

• Acre
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2009, 19:01:01 »
It's strange that you say it has only just reached you. I'm sure I read about it in the paper when I was in France in August.

I live in Brittany which is the back end of beyond as far as the French are concerned.  They have been panicing about it for a long time, again due to the media.  It has only just really got here the last month or so.  Just as in the UK the media are scaring people with it.  It is only because I am English, and read the UK papers online, that I am not as worried about it as the locals.

As for the handwashing, they groom their gardens within a inch of it's life, no litter, super clean houses  ???

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2009, 07:02:36 »
Several weeks ago I got a call to collect grand daughter from school with suspected swine flu

I called in the doctors leaving her in the car to ask advice and was given the phone line of the NHS Flu service. I rang them

They got me to check for different symptoms (which I know are for other things with similar symptoms)

She was not that bad, it was, to me, just a cold. But they told me I could collect Tamiflu for her, I needed ID of the child to do it.

Kids do not have ID so that was a waste of time because you can not get it without.

When her father came to collect her he said he did not want her on the drug.

She got over it with just rest after 4 days and we still think that it was only a cold but she will be on the statistics as a Swine Flu victim.

It does not seem so sensationally dreadful a pandemic as was feared, (unless of course you or your loved one got a bad reaction). 

I believe the vacine is now available and being distributed in order of priority to those who want it.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal