Allotment Stuff > The Basics

Well rotted manure

(1/5) > >>

ciderself:
I know this sounds pathetic BUT when do you know if manure is rotted enough.
I've been to collect some today and it wasnt steaming or anything like that. (I've known it melt plastic dustbins when fresh).
If its put on the dug soil now surely it will have rotted down come springtime?

merv:
Hiya,  :)

To rot or not to rot.

Well rotted is black, crumbly stuff.  New is brown and sometimes steamy.

I use the well rotted for specific things.  I have no probs with covering the whole of my plot with new in early Autumn.  The worms drag it down during the winter and it keeps weeds down.  It also makes for easier cultivation in spring.

I use my old as the base in my sweetcorn pots and for growing on all my beans etc, I then use it when planting out spuds, beans, peas et al with some chicken manure.  Also for changing my greenhouse soil.  

With a bit of bashing and the adition of odds and ends I also use it as a seed compost, and for potting on.

To me, it gives the plot heart.  In my part of the world, we get as much as we want, delivered by the horsey peeps which I mix with my ordinary composting material. That's the manure not the horsey peeps. *snigger*

Try it new on your plot.  Experience will say if it is successful with your soil.

Me, I'm just a lazy bones and easy plotting is my way.  ;)

ciderself:
Cheers Merv
No sleepless nights over that then. The soil definitely needed something on it as it was so dusty.

Will plan to make holding bin so can have better rotted for springtime spuds.
If I've got this right - thats compost, grass cuttings wrapped in newspaper then well rotted manure- going to need a deep trench.

Mrs Ava:
hmmmm...ciderself......what do you mean?  Do you dig a trench now and fill the base with green stuff to then plant your spuds in, in the same way you would for a bean trench?  Only curious as I did my bean trench today - nearly killed me, but a job well done, so if I need to do one for my spuds, I need to plan accordingly (and warn the local A&E  ;D)

I have covered half my plot with fresh manure and just forked it in a bit, the soil is so dusty, and today I forked it over again and was amazed at the improvement already, in just a few weeks!  Worms everywhere, the soil was damp and chunky - kinda wholesome, if you know what I mean.  Hope the veggies will love it too!

Doris_Pinks:
BEAN TRENCH  :o, that's a dirty word at my house at the mo, merrily dug mine last week, and yes, have spent the last week on my back, thinking of all the things I SHOULD be doing!! Beware the bean trench back all!
A miserable Dotty P.  :(

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version