Author Topic: note from Jeannine  (Read 2855 times)

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
Re: note from Jeannine
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2009, 20:41:24 »
Hi you all, thank you for your lovely welcome back as usual. I think I have the e mial going now so all should be well.

Manics.. there are not many plots on the site. It was originally a large farm area that was used by the local mental hospital, the long stay disabled patients went there every day. When the hospital closed down a few years ago the land was made into a park/rec area, the lotties are newish. It is set in lovely surroundings very wide grassy roads between which are maintained by the parks folk.. very pretty,there are fruit trees set all among the lawns surrounding it, the downside is that it is all open to the public. The lotties are  individually fenced but only 3 foot tall picket type fencing so very easy to reach over. There is talk of opening up more of the area to lotties and making some much bigger. Odd thing is.. they only get allocated in February so even if one becomes free it sits idle till then.We are allowed up to 6, but only 1 for the first year.. however I was lucky and the organiser thought he was OK to give me 2 as he said I sounded  like a gardener and it wasn't a whim which they get a lot of. There are hose pipes to every site which is great. It is on the net.. Colony Farm.

GrannieAnnie..drats no, my patio sadly faces north, I have a superb view of mountains but not a lot of light. I did manage Tumbler toms in hanging baskets though.  No, I am not adding eh yet.. cheeky monkey!! Most of the other redidents here are white haired with little hope of growing anything.. and there is a smashing flat roof in full sun. I have tried to get permission to use it but  no one voted with me, they thought the roof would leak!!

Caroline.. the climate on the whole is much warmer than Hull, it has cooled now but the temps were pushing 88F for a few weeks. I still have all the windows and patio door open even now.

SamLouise.. yes I am back in BC, just outside Vancouver on the coast.. place called Coquitlam. and yes, tea would be great, let me know when you are coming and your itinery and we will work something out.

Tony bloke,, thank you for the offer of seeds, very tempting  but I think I should pass, I have so many and very little chance of using most of them. I had them all out the other day.. we had packed them around evry thing you can imagine, inside shoes, teapots, handbags etc.. it was really funny when we unpacked, but they are together agin now and well organised.Just before I left the UK I got some seeds from Australia which travelled in my bra!!! They were Galapogos toms..from the island of the same name and grow in salty areas..neat eh!!

I am surrounded by all kinds of growers and get can get a lot of things direct. We drove to an orchard farm the other day and actually got Bramley apples.. unheard of here.. also some smashing crab apples that were brillian red right through to the core.. now turned into apple jelly. I have managed to do most of my usual preserves except green tom chutney but I have found a source for the toms for next week. It was exciting picking brambles as we did it on the edge of a forest close by, the bears come out of there to our garbage bins so I found myself looking over my shoulder a lot! Sad thing is they have built a lot of millionare homes across the road up the mountain and sadly many of the bears have lost there habitat so they come into the bins and fruit trees in gardens. There was a picture in the local paper last week taken about half a mile away of a Mummy bear with two cubs in a garden eating the apples.

We are glad to be back, it is much easier for us to live here than the UK. I am not knocking Britain but we fit in here better.

We have thw apartment more or less how we want it so I guess I will be looking for volunteer work soon or I will go stir crazy!!

Highlight of my week... I got a huge  live Alaskan King crab from the Oriental supermarket, cooked it myself.. it was so good,ah  too good, cost a fortune but  it was a real treat.

Well I think that is all for now.. lovely io be back online

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

coznbob

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2009, 22:49:56 »
Really glad everything has worked out for you both, I'm sure you'll find an ingenious way for making your balcony work for you... good to see you posting again.

Corinne X
Smile at your enemies.

It makes them wonder what you are up to.

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2009, 09:52:19 »
Glad everything is going well for you Jeannine.  I have been wondering how you and John were settling in.

Good to hear you have two lotties, even if they are small.  Once you have them organised I am sure you will be given some more plots.

Welcome back.   :D

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2009, 13:57:42 »
About roof gardening- just wondering if all the pots were placed on some type of trough that could lead the water into a downspout over the roof edge. I mean, really, what does the flat roof do when it rains?
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

star

• Hectare
  • Northampton, sm greenhouse, heated propagator
« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2009, 21:39:31 »
 ;D ;D ;D Hiya hunny ;D ;D ;D

Lovely to hear from you and your adventure so far........ooh bears, eating apples in gardens :o!! Tis all a bit scary, no wonder you keep looking over your shoulder. I do that here, but its to try and catch a glimpse of the mole 8)

Im so pleased you have settled in your new home, lets hope the winter is not too cold out there. Just a tad chillier than here I expect :D :D xx
I was born with nothing and have most of it left.

CotswoldLass

• Hectare
  • I love gardening!
« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2009, 23:38:57 »
He hey! Well I've been a stranger for a while too (studies) so really good to see you posting on one of my first forays back!

Bestest luck, bonne chance and all that!

CL xx

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal