Author Topic: Crimson-flowered broad bean and blackfly resistance?  (Read 13918 times)

earlypea

• Hectare
Crimson-flowered broad bean and blackfly resistance?
« on: September 28, 2009, 08:07:58 »
Hi
I noticed on the daughterofthesoil blog that she thinks that the Crimson-flowered broad bean is more resistant to blackfly than other varieties.

http://www.daughterofthesoil.com/crimsonflowered.html

Did anyone else have a similar experience?

Mine (Epicure) were a total disaster this year and had to be composted.

Thanks.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: Crimson-flowered broad bean and blackfly resistance?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2009, 08:26:37 »
I haven't noticed any difference.. my Epicure were fine but my CFBBeans tend to get swamped by the blackfly...  :'(

Trevor_D

• Hectare
  • north-west London
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2009, 08:33:22 »
My crimson-flowered beans were devastated this year - lost the entire crop.

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2009, 08:46:43 »
I can't say I notice any difference between the two, both had some blackfly, which they weathered well with a little help from some soft soap.
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

Flighty

• Hectare
    • Flighty's Plot
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2009, 08:50:39 »
All mine, two varieties one of which was crimson-flowered, were totally blackfly infested so dug up and composted.  That was despite pinching out and spraying.
It was the worst year I've ever seen.
Flighty's plot,  http://flightplot.wordpress.com,  is my blog.

I support the Gardening with Disabilities Trust, http://www.gardeningwithdisabilitiestrust.org.uk

earlypea

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2009, 08:56:25 »
Shame - I thought I might be on to something  :(

Seems it's in the lap of the Gods then.

I suppose it can't be as bad as this year - it really did seem an exceptional one in the south east for aphids and ants.

Thanks for all the replies.

(I finally composted mine after having a nightmare about flossing black-fly from between my teeth  :o )
« Last Edit: September 28, 2009, 08:58:01 by earlypea »

Flighty

• Hectare
    • Flighty's Plot
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2009, 09:10:18 »
Next year I shall be far more vigilant and at the first sign of any I'll spray them with rhubarb leaf liquid.
That's leaves left to soak in water. Several people have said that it works, but that it smells really digusting so to keep the bucket well out the way!
Flighty's plot,  http://flightplot.wordpress.com,  is my blog.

I support the Gardening with Disabilities Trust, http://www.gardeningwithdisabilitiestrust.org.uk

earlypea

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2009, 09:20:11 »
Thanks Flighty, I'll remember that for next year.  May be worth a try.

The fatty acids didn't seem effective in the face of a total plague, maybe if it's just a few early critters it would work....but they just kept on coming.

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2009, 09:34:14 »
(I finally composted mine after having a nightmare about flossing black-fly from between my teeth  :o )

eeewwwww!

I haven't tried the crimson flowered broadies yet, but my early sowings really weren't affected, the later sowings did get hit but not till quite late. I also grew summer savoury alongside them (I'd read that it helps / detracts the aphids in terms of companion planting, so I'll be trying it again next year)

Slug_killer

• Acre
  • I wanna be a slug.
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2009, 11:41:15 »
In the frozen wastelands of the Midlands, I had a bumper year of Aquadulce and Bunyards. so much that I ate as many as possible, filled the freezer, and left the rest for seed. I now have over 700 seeds for next year!

I can't seem to give them away, and God knows where I'd plant them, maybe I need another plot - just for baens.
When Santa's about, just hoe-hoe-hoe

non-stick

• Half Acre
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2009, 14:00:36 »
Mine like many others were a total disaster, absolutely swamped with the beggars. Hopefully better luck next year

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2009, 14:20:48 »
Grew Crimson flowered and Masterpiece Green Longpod.  About two plants of the later had a problem with blackfly.  No shortage of blackfly on beans elsewhere on site.

Thanks to a tip from Geoffrey Smith on Gardeners question time many many years ago I do not have a problem with blackfly.   You just put the packet of beans in the freezer for a few weeks before sowing, or even better put the packet outside in a sealed plastic bag - ensure it is frozen several times.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2009, 18:09:03 »
I planted mine late this year, and they got hammered by blackfly for a while. They disappeared again as soon as the weather cooled off. I haven't had any problem on spring-flowered CFBB though.

earlypea

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2009, 09:10:13 »
Thanks to a tip from Geoffrey Smith on Gardeners question time many many years ago I do not have a problem with blackfly.   You just put the packet of beans in the freezer for a few weeks before sowing, or even better put the packet outside in a sealed plastic bag - ensure it is frozen several times.
Quite an intriguing idea there  :)

Digeroo - are you saying that since you've been doing this you've never had a serious blackfly problem?  Presumably you did before sometimes?

If I put them in the freezer it's going to be much colder than leaving them outside.  I mean there's barely much frost here in the balmy south east before Christmas.  Are the beans supposed to sort of align themselves to the local weather conditions or meant to be very cold?

Did he say how or why this works at all ?

And is that for autumn planting or early spring planting?

In fact I wondered about whether that has an effect for people in general too.  They say it does but seems to me people were doomed this year whether they planted in early winter or early spring - no difference.  People who planted very late, once the ladybirds arrived, had far more success.

tomatoada

• Hectare
  • south birmingham
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2009, 11:02:48 »
Just the questions I would like the answer to earlypea [ put much better than I could].

earlypea

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2009, 08:45:55 »
Just the questions I would like the answer to earlypea [ put much better than I could].

You flatter me Ada  8)

Bumping......Digeroooooooooo - we really want to know.

TISH

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2009, 10:09:15 »
I wondered if people who have grown both varieties had any thoughts about the difference in taste between the red epicure and crimson-flowered? Aslo is there any other source of seeds for Crimson flowered than the heritage seed library?
Thanks

plot51A

• Hectare
  • Norfolk - we do diff'rent!

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2009, 10:23:33 »
Robinsons have red flowered.  But in my experience the hit rate is rather poor.  Fewer than a half turn out to be red.

Better the second generation.  

http://www.mammothonion.co.uk/shop/7/index.htm

Since Geoffrey I have had very little problem with black fly.  I have been doing this for 15-20 years.  Never had a problem with it since that time.  This year only two plants suffered out of several hundred.  There was plenty of blackfly on nearby allotments.   Three allotments away up wind they were caked in them.

I also believe that ants farm them so removing ants is also a good thing to do.

flowerlady

• Hectare
  • "Tug-o-Weeed!"
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2009, 10:28:51 »
... is there any other source of seeds for Crimson flowered than the heritage seed library?

I bought mine from Plants of Dstinction  ... T&M also do them.

And 1066 ...  Savory is also very good when cooked with the beans  ;D ;)

To everything there is a season and a time to every purpose under heaven: a time to be born and time to die: a time to plant, and a time to pluck up what is planted.     Ecclesiastes, 3:1-2

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal