Author Topic: Too wet to plant Raspberry Canes?  (Read 1167 times)

carosanto

• Half Acre
Too wet to plant Raspberry Canes?
« on: November 26, 2009, 12:20:41 »
Hi Y'All

Here in the Wild West it's been raining for days, and the soil is really claggy.  My specially prepared Raspberry plot looks an inhospitable site in which to bung my newly delivered raspberry canes.  They are well packed (wet newspaper, polythene, and netting) but how long can I keep them like this.  I've had them a week already.

They are both summer fruiting varieties.

I know the answer is out there!

Regards

Caro
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got!

allaboutliverpool

• Hectare
  • allaboutliverpool.com
    • My Allotment in Liverpool
Re: Too wet to plant Raspberry Canes?
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2009, 15:31:38 »
As long as the canes are wrapped as you state and they are in a cool place then they will keep for months. (They are probably a few weeks old anyway),
It would be a pity to upset the nicely prepared ground and it is worth waiting until conditions are more hospitable.

http://allaboutallotments.com/index.html

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2009, 15:17:18 »
My problem is having 2 young trees and raspberry canes, but am too ill to deal with them. They are sitting in buckets of water at the moment, but I worried about them as they arrived a week ago. Last time I saw the soil it looked good, but I just can't get out. Would wet newspaper and polythene bags be better than water?

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2009, 15:18:06 »
PS they have bare roots

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2009, 19:12:06 »
Can you get out long enough to make a hole, stick the roots in and cover them up? Or can you get someone to do it for you?

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2009, 09:20:14 »
My husband stands guard over me to make sure I don't escape, and he is not a keen gardener. I certainly WANT to heel everything in, and may be allowed to do so tomorrow.

I don't know which is worse, the roots drowning in buckets of water, or drying out without them.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal