Produce > Pests & Diseases

White things that look like aphids

<< < (2/2)

tim:
You've been into http://www.pestspotter.co.uk/pests/pests.htm of course? = Tim

Jak:
There are such things as Root Aphids.  Don't know anything about them, but do a Google and I'm sure you'll find your beasties! :)

Jak

john_miller:
It would help Jesse if you could post a picture of the weed too. The only weeds that I can think of that resemble your description are as hawkweeds and their ilk which are in family Lactaceae/Asteraceae. This leads me to speculate they are lettuce root aphids that have found a hospitable overwintering spot.

Jesse:
Thanks Jak and John, I have done some Googling and they do look like lettuce root aphids. I will take a picture tomorrow as I'll be there once again digging up the weeds. The weeds look a bit like a low growing creeping thistle but I could be completely wrong, I've got a lot to learn about weeds and bugs!

Bionic Wellies:
It may be that you have dug up an aphid farm run by ants.  Apparently ants take aphids underground to feast on the roots of plants where they protect them and then 'milk' them for the sweet liquid that they (the aphids) suck out of your plants.  When undergound the aphids become pasty (bit like british men - OK like me then) and therefore would look like white aphids.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version