Allotment Stuff > The Basics

Planning permission -Sheds

<< < (2/4) > >>

Unwashed:

--- Quote from: Trevor_D on April 28, 2009, 08:41:20 ---It's surely up to whoever runs the site - in this case, the Council - to put in whatever bye-laws are necessary. We always insist that members apply in writing to erect any shed, greenhouse, etc. And if - like with lots of sites, including ours - plots are being split to make them smaller, you could easily end up looking more like a building site than an allotment.

--- End quote ---
In short, no.  On any allotment it's not legal to apply a new rule to an existing allotmenteer that restricts something they could previously do.  I suspect many councils and allotment associations are unaware of this.

In general a private landlord can put whatever conditions she wants on a new tenancy as long as she respects the tenant's right to exclusive possession and quiet enjoyment of the plot, but on sites managed by or for a council there are a few other restrictions, and on statutory allotments the council only has a power to make rules that are enabled by the Allotments Act, and it's not obvious how that includes rules about sheds, and in any case a tenant has an absolute right to build sheds to house hens and rabbits whatever the rules say.  There are also good reasons not to lord it over tenants by requiring them to apply for permission and that's been the best-practice guidance since the Thorpe Report in the 60's, and is still supported by the 2008 Growing in the Community.

I suggest an allotment site with a shed and greenhouse on each plot would look, well, like an allotment site.

daileg:
i had recently put my request into the allotment association for the right to place a 20x8 shed / greenhouse combined this was signed under the principle that once built if anyone should be envious are to apply in writing for a quote to the above plot holder

on a serious note i was told that there was no reason why a allotment association can refuse any application to erect a Poly tunnel or shed as long as it would meet the needs of the tenant and wasn't to re sell any produce this was said to me via the chairman in my area at least
if i was you the best thing would be to ask the question directly to who you pay ground rent too

PurpleHeather:
Allotments laws are different to domestic residential laws.

It seems that a lot of council's turn a blind eye to some constructions called sheds and greenhouses. Provided that no one complains.

There is always some one in the community with little else to do than complain and I suggest that some one has a grudge here and the Council is attempting to resolve the matter in accordance with the rules, regulations and the law.

You can apply for planning permission to cover the entire site which lasts for 5 years.

You could have a chat with your Parish Council and ask them to give you written consent (subject to planning) to have larger sheds. Then apply for a grant to cover the cost, of Planning Consent from the same council.

They will then be able to tell the complainant that the matter is being dealt with.

manicscousers:
after a complaint by a small minded individual, we had to get pp for our communal polytunnel..the site is surrounded on 3 sides by rugby pitches, used sundaysonly and a 40' leylandii hedge on the other, cost us 210.00 and there was nothing we could do about it  ::)

Unwashed:
I think this is what I was thinking about:

The Town and Country Planning (General Permitted Development) Order 1995, Part 12, Class A:

Permitted development
    A.    The erection or construction ... by a local authority ... of—

(a)  any small ancillary building ... on land belonging to or maintained by them required for the purposes of any function exercised by them on that land ...

I suggest that this allows a council to build itself an allotment shed, and I'd suggest that also gives the council the option to let us build sheds for ourselves.  Sheds under this order can be at least 7m square and 4m tall!

But to answer the original question again, I'd be pretty sure it's something the parish council has thought up for itself and has nothing to do with any requirement of the planning authority.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version