Author Topic: White worms  (Read 1293 times)

LESTTHEPEST

White worms
« on: February 22, 2009, 20:26:17 »
Hi Another newbie to both this site and my allotment (first year just finnished)
So sorry if this has been aired before: After a great deal of back breaking work last season i was "to say the least" gutted to find these small (1 miilimetre x 4 millimetre) white worms having the feast of their lives on my potatoes and other produce inc carrot & swede. Pea seeds were also ate prior to growth by these pests, can any one help. i am even thinking of applying a heavy pesticide and leaving the plot covered over for this season just to clear them from the ground .Help Help Help!

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
Re: White worms
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2009, 21:00:42 »
Sounds like Wireworm, Have a google
When you wake up on a morning say "good morning world" and be grateful

DAVY

Slug_killer

• Acre
  • I wanna be a slug.
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2009, 02:19:30 »
Sounds like carrot fly/moth/butterfly maggots etc.
When Santa's about, just hoe-hoe-hoe

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2009, 07:35:00 »
I would certainly agree maggots. I would just pour boiling water on them, the birds seem to love them cooked or raw.

LESTTHEPEST

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2009, 19:54:54 »
Ok Thanks all for answering, dont have anty hot ater on the allotment so can any one suggest a liquid or powder insecticide i can apply even if it means not producing this year ?

Gobby

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2009, 20:05:22 »
Get yourself a gas camping stove and a kettle to sit on top, not only will this serve you'r hotwater requirements but you can keep yourself filled with tea and coffee while you work ;)

LESTTHEPEST

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2009, 12:23:21 »
Thanks gobby ! i have an old stove i used for fishing ,I'll take that over thanks. How thick am I ????

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal