Author Topic: Filling raised beds  (Read 4140 times)

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
Re: Filling raised beds
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2009, 07:02:54 »
Hiya, cordyline, welcome to the site  ;D
Inky, our paths are 18" between beds with a 2' path between, bads are made with old pallet wood, I think there are pics in our gallery..good luck with your growing  ;D
we filled them with whatever we could get hold of, card on the bottom to stop the weeds, a mix of old leaves, grass cuttings, soil from wherever and rotted horse muck..it's done us well, all the compost from our carrot beds etc gets added each year with the contents of the compost heap, we even get all the grass cuttings from our neighbours' lawns  ;D

Inky

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2009, 13:42:21 »
Good call on the skip hire suggestion. I called around a few and it seems I can get screened top soil for an average of £30 per ton. As opposed to the top soil companies on the net who charge £90 per ton.

I just need to work out how much I need. What ratio of compost/maure to soil should I have?

greenfists

• Half Acre
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2009, 11:04:00 »
As far as top soil goes.
We had many tons which we got by ringing skip companies up.
I drive about for my job.
I would see a skip full of soil and they would dump it on my drive for nothing , rather than being charged to put it in a landfill.
We all win. :)
If you haven't got green fingers then use your fists.

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2009, 13:39:31 »
I just need to work out how much I need. What ratio of compost/maure to soil should I have?
10 - 20 per cent would be a good start!! ;)
You couldn't make it up!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal