Author Topic: Help Please - have notice to show that my allotment is being culitvated or else!  (Read 6250 times)

flossy

• Hectare

No flak 70 fingers [ how did you get those ? ]   ;D

You're talking a lot of sense  , hello by the way,     :D

floss xxx
Hertfordshire,   south east England

elvis2003

• Hectare
KNOCK KNOCK 70fingers,are you in there?
the average age on our site is probably 45,at a guess,but you dont see anyone ever ever ever using roundup! retired or not,if you havnt got time to work your plot,either reduce the size or give it to someone who has.this may sound harsh but as the person responsible for turning over plots to newbies,we grow weary of them not being able to keep their plots maintained,sometimes ignoring them for a year,when that plot could have been happily used by one of our 40 folk on the waiting list!
i think you are right 70fingers,if you feel your comittee is ageist,it would be a great idea to get involved yourself,do you attend meetings etc?
if a plot has been properly dug over before christmas,it shouldnt need much doing now,i managed to do mine and have been up there all this  year doing maintainence jobs,whatever the weather,at the grand old age of 39.
on the surface,this letter does seem to be a bit previous,and i agree with the previous advice of busy bee number 2 going directly to the author to discuss it,really important not to ignore it!
when the going gets tough,the tough go digging

Maidenheadtaff

• Half Acre
Busy Bee don't worry bout it

We received a letter this week as my allotment neighbours did also.

I agree weather has been awfull and i haven't been down there since last year.But must admit the letter forced me into action.
Most other allotments are being cultivated though,not sure how they manage it.I can only go there on the weekend.

But we did a load today dug about a quarter of the site which was impressive.
My problem also is that the rugby is always on during feb amd march and being a rugby mad welshman and my wife being irish allotment or rugby there is only one choice

Once you start the preparation though it will give you a huge amount of satisfaction as it did us today.Real acheivement.I felt really guilty not doing anything even though we haven't been able to do anything for ages
but happy as a sand lark now

good luck

amphibian

As a Maidstone Taff, myself, I suffer the rugby/allotment issue, but I have found a bit of digging a great way to kill those nervous hours before the game, but my plot is over my back fence so there is no journey time involved.

70fingers

• Half Acre

Hello Flossy  :D

Hi Elvis2003
if you havnt got time to work your plot,either reduce the size or give it to someone who has.this may sound harsh but as the person responsible for turning over plots to newbies,we grow weary of them not being able to keep their plots maintained,sometimes ignoring them for a year,when that plot could have been happily used by one of our 40 folk on the waiting list!
- good point

do you attend meetings etc?
- Yes attending my first on the 3rd March - hope I can help out but a little daunting as I have never done anything like this before  :-[

BusyBee - we had a similar letter 6months after we had worked on the plot but had left it to overgrow in places we rang them and explained we had a plan and it did somewhat spur us into action. Don't be put off, do a little and often and do what Sparkly said talk to someone on the committee. Have fun - the rewards will be worth all the hardwork :)

Plot69

• Hectare
  • Lincolnshire
Expecting some flak for this post - off to hide in the shed :-)

I've been hiding in my shed all morning... Kids are back at school tomorrow so it gets a bit hectic the day before.

Anyway, Our tenancy agreement states that you have 6 months to complete 25% of your new plot and I think it's a year after that to complete the rest. I wouldn't swear to the exact times but I do know its a reasonable amount of time for newcomers to show their intent.

Our top council bod who's in charge of all the council sites has plots of his own so he knows the score. He's a really nice chap, so nice in fact you get a bloody way from him when he's about.

Tony.

Sow it, grow it, eat it.

lewic

• Hectare
you dont see anyone ever ever ever using roundup

They are probably doing it under the cover of darkness!

mick

• Not So New ...
hi, the council tried that up here top end of lincolnshire and got there backsides kick by the the local press, not everybody as all day to potter around on a plot some of us have to wait for a clear window day like myself i work till late then it`s to dark and on my day off it`s been chucking it down, seems to me that the council have earmarked your plot to a council employee or friend, get your local press involved, the council don`t like that, cheers mick

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
not everybody has all day to potter around on a plot some of us have to wait for a clear window day like myself i work till late then it`s to dark and on my day off it`s been chucking it down,

Apart from feeding my hens and taking delivery of a load of manure, I have not done any work on my plot for 2 months because of the crap weather.  My beds are covered so remain weed free, though the edges could do with a bit of work. 

Our chap who allocates plots always approaches plot holders via phone or face to face before the letters start just in case there are any underlying personal issues that have prevented work on the plot.
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
That's the way any sensible committee handles it, and hassling people with official letters after the sort of winter we've just had is out of order unless there's a history of neglect.

Kea

• Hectare
A lot of people at my site are still waiting for the soil to dry out enough to dig. Me Included though i managed to dig over an area about 4ft by 10ft where there is a patch of sandy soil the only bit for miles I think. I got a really nasty look when I mentioned it to two of the guys on the site as they haven't got any nice sandy bits.

shaun01

• Acre
so you don't actually live by your name sake ,its a privilege to have a plot these days and they are few and for between , no easy way I'm afraid its hard graft and you have to get stuck in stop moaning and get on with it a little at a time it will soon be done and you will feel a lot better for it , so come on enjoy it and stop moaning get stuck in its well worth in  ;D
You can bury a lot of troubles digging in the dirt.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
A lot of people at my site are still waiting for the soil to dry out enough to dig. Me Included though i managed to dig over an area about 4ft by 10ft where there is a patch of sandy soil the only bit for miles I think. I got a really nasty look when I mentioned it to two of the guys on the site as they haven't got any nice sandy bits.

You're not the only one in that situation! It's only in the last week that my plot has really dried out a bit. Just do what you can when you can.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal