Author Topic: Bushy Tomato plants  (Read 1774 times)

simhop

• Quarter Acre
Bushy Tomato plants
« on: August 09, 2004, 20:46:28 »
It is my first try at growing tomatoes and i was ever so excited to see that many of the flowers are at last now turning into tomatoes - the plants are really bushy with many leaves, alot of the tomatoes seem to be hiden from the sun. Isn't it the sun that helps to ripen them? I think I read a post by EJ on another thread that she took away some leaves from the plants - did I totally misunderstand what she said or is this the right thing to do?- how do I know what leaves and how many to take away?
thanks in advance
simon

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
Re:Bushy Tomato plants
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2004, 22:32:30 »
Oooer, okay, don't shoot me if what I tell you is totally wrong, but I grow my toms as cordons, so only one main stem, I pinch out all side shoots so all the plants energy can go into producing fruit, and not lots of branches and leaves.  I believe our learned John Miller told us a while back that the lower leaves stop working efficiently, so they can be removed allowing more energy upwards.  Also, if there are masses of leaves, there can be poor air circulation, so the risk of disease in the still air, plus, yes, less light, and less heat due to shading, so what I have done, please don't shout everyone if it is wrong, is remove all the lower leaves up to the first truss of fruit, then after that, just trim some off if they are really causing dense shade.  I guess, if I had more room in the greenhouse I wouldn't have to do this, but as I have lots and lots of plants all crammed in a small space, they are all shading each other, so it was more necessity.  I should imagine I have reduced the leaves by 50% per plant - hopefully leaving enough for photosynthesis to take place successfully!  Finally, my toms have all started ripening, and some of the trusses, especially the plums, are huge with 12 or more toms on one truss!!!

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2004, 08:11:14 »
Simon - need to know the variety of tom - 'bush' or 'cordon'. Different treatment. Indoors or out? Soil or bags?

Yes - like Emma says, clear out the bottom leaves - from the time the plant is (guess) 4' high.

It is light & warmth that are good - not direct hot sun. In fact, writing has it that fronds should be left on specifically to protect the fruit. Depends upon the amount of hot sun you expect?? = Tim

simhop

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2004, 17:33:47 »
Thanks both for your replies - the plants are Gardeners Delight and are about 5' high. They are outside growing up a south facing wall in growbags, we are having a bit of a heatwave here in Sweden at the moment, so they are receiving quite a lot of sun. They are watered every night and fed once a week. They are producing quite a lot of tomatoes but I was just a bit worried about the ripening process.

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2004, 18:57:08 »
So - cordon - so - how bushy? And have you pinched out any side-shoots? Should have! All. Outdoors, you expect 3-4  trusses - then stop them. = Tim

simhop

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2004, 20:48:42 »
I have just been out and 'tidied up' the plants - it seems that I have missed a couple of side shoots on each plant and that is why I have two or in some cases three main stems - have sorted that out now and stopped any more trusses as suggested - thanks for your help - have really enjoyed growing toms for the first time and have certainly learnt something for next year.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal