Allotment Stuff > The Basics

My First Allotment...Lottie!

<< < (2/7) > >>

teresa:
Hi Les and welcome,
What luck to get it next to the house and two sheds realy good.
The wheelbarrow rusty it may be but if it works greese it and being rusty no one will pinch it?
Check other rusty items they may be tools for the lottie hoe's etc with a sharpen good as new. No idea about the car bumper what it could be used for.
Tarpaulins will supress weeds also keep moisture in the soil you also see them over compost heeps to keep the heat in to rot down.
You might even find the last ocupants compost heap if your lucky.
But start digging one end and work your way back slowly this way you can see what you have done. Also check to see if they have any manure delivered. Do you have waterbutts with having two sheds?
Keep an eye out for rhubarb crowns which would have died down now if your not sure as a fellow lottie holder.
but most of all have fun.
Teresa

Hot_Potato:
Hi Les....welcome from me too......I've had my lottie about 4 weeks now.......it's completely covered in layers & layers of old carpet except for middle section of about 20/25ft. which has an assortment of different sized fruit trees and bushes (species unknown as yet).....some very dead - I think!....and totally choked with grass/weeds etc. I've made a start working away from the centre section one way.....WHEN that's done....will work from the other side......will tackle bit in middle as & when I feel able to.....need advice on that!.....you are so lucky having TWO sheds....and so close to home...I've not got a shed yet but have met a nice lottie neighbour whose letting me use his shed to store my fork (my only tool so far) in!....it is exciting and I wish you lots of luck with yours.....little & often as everyone says is the best way I'm sure.....this is a great site and everyone is very helpful and fun too!!.....you'll be in for some surprises I'm sure.....I was!  :o have a look around and you'll see what I mean!!... :-[....H.P.

legless:
congratulations!

no advice at all here as i am new to this and either make it up as i go along or ask everyone here for advice! who knows what you've got under the weeds and brambles - i found a fruit cage plus a load of other fruit bushes, rhubarb, comfrey and globe artichokes!!

i would definitely recommend strimming it so you can see the ground first, that should make a huge psychological difference!

let us know how you get on

Jo

Les_Woof:
Thank you one and all for your replies.   ;)  

I am overwhelmed as to how many of you have given me advice and encouragement.... I can't wait until the weekend so I can get on the lottie and have a bash.  

Looks like I will have some hard work ahead of me....but as everyone keeps saying it will be so rewarding, what with nettle rashes, blisters, aching back and legs.....I really can't wait ::) ::)

Take care all.....and I'll keep you informed as to how things are going..

Les.

Palustris:
Have fun, but check out the Tetanus thread on these boards.
Eric

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version