Allotment Stuff > The Basics

storing produce

<< < (2/4) > >>

tim:
Luck of the draw? We have an AGA and it's a constant 65ish. And they seem to last through till May, at least.  And the sprouts are great in cooking?? = Tim

Hugh_Jones:
We never thought of that. Do you cook them separately, or just chop them up with the rest, Tim.

ina:
>>Peas and beans can be blanched before freezing, but they freeze and keep just as well, and retain their texture and taste better, if you simply freeze straight from the plant.<<

What about all this scientific stuff about some kind of process being stopped when blanched Hugh? It will save me a lot of work this season. After harvesting I can do without having to stand in a hot kitchen late in the evening to blanch kilo's of beans. Just top, break,pack and freeze the beans?  

The gardener:
The blanching (as I understand it) is to kill off certain 'enzymes' that can affect the keeping quality of the product.

From memory I think if you intend to store frozen produce for in excess of six months, you are recommended to 'blanch' them. This is not so important if storing for less time than this..

I'm afraid we don't do much blanching any more (if any) and don't appear to have any side affects. ( no comments from the stalls ;D )

In fact quite often each year I have to remove some of last years stock out to get the new years stock in, meaning that some of my stuff has been frozen for a full year..... unblanched,and it tastes OK.

ina:
Thanks Gardener.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version