Author Topic: Plastic Greenhouse - GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR! &*($(*&(*&)(*  (Read 8285 times)

springbok

• Hectare
Plastic Greenhouse - GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR! &*($(*&(*&)(*
« on: February 29, 2008, 18:07:53 »
Ok I am mad lol.

It was tied to the wall, weighed down with heavy stones... and guess what, about half an hour ago the winds took the lot!!.. its broken, the zips are now broken too... I could just cry  :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
Re: Plastic Greenhouse - GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR! &*($(*&(*&)(*
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2008, 18:14:50 »
sorry to hear that honey hugs  :o

posie

• Hectare
  • Slowly winning??
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2008, 18:34:08 »
Mine's not looking too healthy either so know how u feel.  someone on here was saying how they've used all the poles from their damaged one to construct fruit cages and bean wigwams, so there may be a use for whatever's left.  Chin up  ;)
What I lack in ability and experience, I make up for in sheer enthusiasm!!!

posie

• Hectare
  • Slowly winning??
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2008, 19:44:42 »
Mine has now sadly lost its fight for life.  Had to call my brother down to help me get plastic under control, then dismantle what was left of it in the dark!  Lost an apple tree, raspberry and 3 strawberries, so damage has been limited thank heavens.

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2008, 20:45:56 »
sorry to hear that posie !

Tora

• Hectare
  • Gravesend, Kent
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2008, 21:14:24 »
I had that too two years ago. My greenhouse was full of seedlings at the time and I actually cried. :'(
I haven't bothered replacing the cover. It's now used as a pot stand. ::) I'd love to have a proper glass green house!

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2008, 21:28:23 »
Wait until after the earthquake season has passed......... :-\

star

• Hectare
  • Northampton, sm greenhouse, heated propagator
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2008, 22:07:03 »
Aw SBL and Posie, I feel for you both. I bought a B&Q  poly and alluminium one from someone on the forum. We only managed to get half of it 'glazed', and its not screwed down yet. Its now sitting outside tied up with rope to anything that doesnt move untill we can finish building it.

Its trying its best to escape though :-\ :-\
I was born with nothing and have most of it left.

Crystalmoon

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2008, 22:43:21 »
Hi there Im new to Allotments 4 All
My plastic greenhouse is flapping around madly too :-\ am hoping it survives the night.
So sorry to here of the greenhouse casualties so far

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2008, 22:50:28 »
Hi cystalmoon,
hope your greenhouse survives.Mine went over the allotment hedge into the road and was rescued by someone in one of the neighbouring houses. :)

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2008, 23:59:04 »
Errrrmm, I remember this happening last year. I put bricks on the bottom shelf and tied strong string round like a parcel (both ways) and it survived. Worth a go?
Smile, it confuses people.

posie

• Hectare
  • Slowly winning??
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2008, 09:11:25 »
Mine was tied down and weighted with everything I could find, but sadly it didn't work, so I'm going to use the poles for the fruit cage and the plastic I'm going to cut up and use as a diy cold frame over some old timber I've got.  Did have a bit of cry over the patio apple tree last night, but think I've managed to salvage some of the strawberries.  :)  Am now going to repair my fence which was also damaged last night.  Don't you just love the great British weather lol

hopeful vegigrower

• Not So New ...
  • Welcome to my world...
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2008, 16:20:01 »
Mine has survived the winds, thankfully.  It is standing against a wall in the garden and OH has put some pipe clips (the sort that are used for copper piping) into the wall which are just the right size to clip the frame onto.  Just have to be careful not to rip the plastic covering when you clip it on.  Seems to have held it pretty steady so far.  :)

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2008, 18:28:04 »
I have lost my polytunnel cover... the door frame had rotted at the base and the wind got in and threw it over the roof... it is now lying down the outside and there is a huge gash in the polytunnel and 1/4 of the cover lying down... I'll get at it with the tape when the wind drops but I'll need anew cover for the season...  :'(

springbok

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2008, 18:31:19 »
I have lost a pane in my greenhouse too... smashed to smithereens, only got done by glaziers a week ago :( :( :(

The plastic one was tied up against a wall, with weights... but it still dissapeared and smashed to bits.
 :'(

Norfolk n Proud

• Half Acre
  • From humble beginnings...
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2008, 18:40:06 »
Sorry to hear about your greenhouse Springbokgirlie, i had a lucky escape coz it was blowing like crazy here in Norfolk, and nextdoor lost a couple of fence panels,but my glass greenhouse escaped unscathed, maybe it's well sheltered? Looking on the bright side of things, there are still some more plastic greenhouse's going cheap in Woolies, and other DIY stores, if you have a bit of spare cash!! :) :)
Thas a rummun !!

Fluffnco

• Half Acre
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2008, 20:24:58 »
i had one of those mini greenhouses on my patio...ended up in the pond on it's side and it's still there as we're forecast for more high winds tonight....I really need a proper greenhouse on my lottie  ::) ;D

swee'pea

Weed-Digga

• Half Acre
  • Slough, BERKS
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2008, 20:41:34 »
We had 2 panes of the polycarbonate blown out of the greenhouse door, and the perspex panel that was in the window has sailed over the fence into the school field and broken in 2!! The polycarbonate panels were OK, just did an emergency duct tape repair job and taped a sheet of thick polythene around the window. Hope it all holds for tonight. Didn't plan on going down the lottie tomorrow as it's Mother's day and we're taking the 2 Mums out for lunch. Will have to pop down there afterwards to make sure all is OK.

Weed-Digga
If it's Rosie's allotment - how come Muggins here does so much digging?

wheelabo

• Not So New ...
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2008, 20:48:52 »
Oh no.  Well I bought mine from Morrisons last week and was soooo pleased.  It blew down and broke yesterday so I phoned them up and took it back today.  I even forgot to take the receipt with me and they still gave me my money back!!!  It might be worth a try.  Going to have a look on freecycle to see if I can get a 'real' one.  :)

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2008, 21:37:45 »
Mine was smashed to smitherines last year so I won't be putting my new one up just yet, mind you it was in July when it blew down last year.  ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal