Author Topic: May be a bit early but oh well...  (Read 2536 times)

Chris Graham

• Hectare
  • Stirling, Scotland
    • Backyard
May be a bit early but oh well...
« on: April 12, 2008, 11:29:05 »
Had to move some Sungolds out to the greenhouse as I needed the space on the windowsill to grow more.

Might convert the window in the garage as an additional growing space, doesn't get frosty and is South facing.

....but look at how good these potatoes are doing.  Grew them in the free black buckets last year and they grew very well.

heres another wee pic of the plot, peas and potatoes.

Astronomy, Veggies & Beer

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
Re: May be a bit early but oh well...
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2008, 18:11:52 »
Boasting again!!  Ours are about 3"!!

I know you're westish up there, but I would cover them with fleece at night? I've lost a whole row in May!

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2008, 19:10:34 »
Nothing wrong with being a bit early providing you have a back up. One thing we cant anticipate is the weather, you put some stuff in early and you get good weather you have cracked it on the other hand if it goes against you and you have a seconed lot of plants i dont think you have lost a great deal, just created a bit extra work thats all
Nothing ventured nothing gained.
When you wake up on a morning say "good morning world" and be grateful

DAVY

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2008, 19:17:03 »
I did not suggest 'wrong'. Just cover & hope?

And 'early' - a week or two earlier??

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2008, 19:37:04 »
I did not suggest 'wrong'. Just cover & hope?

And 'early' - a week or two earlier??
TIM sorry, nothing was directed at your post i was trying to point out to Chris if you dont try you have gained nothing
When you wake up on a morning say "good morning world" and be grateful

DAVY

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2008, 00:59:51 »
Chris, do you leave your toms in the grow bags all season?

It never occurred to me to use the unheated garage window. Hmmm, wonder if things would freeze solid...plus not sure how my husband would appreciate plants overflowing his garage as well as the house....
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2008, 11:11:11 »
NO problem, Davy - not meant to be snappy.

I'm the slow one - but then things get ahead quicker.

Chris Graham

• Hectare
  • Stirling, Scotland
    • Backyard
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2008, 11:48:01 »
Chris, do you leave your toms in the grow bags all season?

They were on the kitchen windowsill and I just transplanted them into the growbags.

I haven't tried growbags in my greenhouse before as last year I grew them in those free black buckets. It worked well but I always thought it made them start off too high from the floor not leaving much growing room (if you see what I mean).  Growbags are lower down.

My greenhouse isn't very tall as I didn't buy the base for it, just plonked it on the ground ;)

Yeah I shall leave them in for the whole season.

One thing to remember though, give the growbag a good shake first, its amazing how compact they can get.

I have a fleece tent setup to also cover them if the weather turns. Just hope its not going to be like last year, great April (like just now) and terrible from then onwards.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2008, 13:42:37 »
heres another wee pic of the plot, peas and potatoes.

I haven't even planted or sown mine yet!! ::)

Might get them in next week!

A thought struck me when I saw your growbags of another way to use them and it is this;

Why not grow them as you are doing your potatoes (same family) i.e. in bucket shaped containers!

To do this; before opening the grow bag hold it with both hands at the middle of the bag and let an equal amount of compost trickle to either side of the fold then cut the bag in half.

This effectively makes a bucket shape so all you have to do then is cut a few holes in the bottom (end of bag) roll down the surplus plastic and this stiffens the rim of the bag. Then plant your plants as you have done.

A few advantages of doing it this way is;

The bags take up less space so you could have probably got 5-6 plants in the same space.

The plants have a deeper root run.

If you find you uncover the top roots (the feeding roots) when watering, you can unfurl the rim and add a bit more compost. This is similar to earthing up potatoes so you get an bigger root system leading to better plants leading to a better crop.

As I said it is just a thought, a bit late in the day for you, now that you have planted out, but it is food for thought for next year, or for those people reading this who have not yet got around to planting theirs yet!

Chris Graham

• Hectare
  • Stirling, Scotland
    • Backyard
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2008, 13:54:04 »
Thanks TeeGee, I remember Tim doing that a few years ago (actually I think he still does)

I was thinking about it, but really wanted the plants to be lower down, thats why I left the grow bags as they are.

Its a good idea, lets see how I get on this year. 

I also wanted to keep the amount of plants to a max of 10 in the greenhouse as its quite a small one so 4 on each side and 2 at the end.  Mainly growing Sungolds this year as they were amazing.

Also growing Jelly Bean and Sweet Million.

Going to try outside Gardeners Delight too, next to a South Facing wall thats sheltered.

Cheers for the info.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal