Author Topic: Plastic Greenhouse - GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR! &*($(*&(*&)(*  (Read 8288 times)

posie

• Hectare
  • Slowly winning??
Re: Plastic Greenhouse - GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR! &*($(*&(*&)(*
« Reply #40 on: March 15, 2008, 20:44:34 »
Well I bought a 3 tier one today which I'm hoping won't be too bad if we have bad weather again, but I have a question (probably a stupid one!).  I've almost run out of room in it, before I dash off to get another one, could I maybe stack the propagators up? Or would that block out the light too much.  They're the bog standard ones with plastic lids (non-heated).   ;D
What I lack in ability and experience, I make up for in sheer enthusiasm!!!

wolflike

• Not So New ...
  • My cat hiding
    • Wolflike
« Reply #41 on: March 21, 2008, 18:45:28 »
Hi Posie
I have limited space in my greenhouse and I had to stack two of the plastic propagators on top of each other and they all germinated.

I too had a plastic greenhouse which only lasted 6 months before it ripped to shreds. I still have all the staging for it in my home made greenhouse, works great. I used the top of it over a small section of garden with netting over it to stop my cats getting to the lettuce and radishes.

The best thing about growing your own is knowing that somebody didn't get chain ganged into picking it!

Blogging away at www.wolflike.co.uk

greentomatoes

• Not So New ...
  • Happy Gardener
« Reply #42 on: March 22, 2008, 19:25:52 »
I have lost a pane in my greenhouse too... smashed to smithereens, only got done by glaziers a week ago :( :( :(

The plastic one was tied up against a wall, with weights... but it still dissapeared and smashed to bits.
 :'(

So sad when that happens, the same happened to my friend last year she had tomato plants growing nicely when the bad winds torn it to bits plans too.

>:(

aromatic

• Half Acre
  • Lavender flowers yield abundant nectar
« Reply #43 on: March 23, 2008, 00:56:31 »
 :o  I had one of those types of greenhouses about three years ago and my late dog bless his heart took an instant dislike to it and managed to get a grip on the door that was flapping in the breeze at the time (my daughter was in the greenhouse when the incident took place) and once Bruno had a hold he just kept on pulling.... needless to say one minute I had a plastic type greenhouse, the next the whole thing was ripped and pulled to the ground!!! I was shocked and upset and yet at the same time the whole incident was extremely funny!!! and so out of character for Bruno that I could not be angry with him... his dislike for it was most intense and I never bothered to replace it..... My daughter and son decided a few months later for my birthday to chip together and buy me a glass greenhouse which has being a fantastic gift and their kindness and thoughfulness did make me cry.... tears of happiness!!

God made rainy days so gardeners could get the housework done.  ~Author Unknown

Love aromatic xxx

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #44 on: March 23, 2008, 01:00:29 »
Dogs can be so funny,my little westie hates us to open and close the blinds.
She barks at them and jumps up at our legs.We have to try to remember to lock her out of the room when we open or close them. :)

aromatic

• Half Acre
  • Lavender flowers yield abundant nectar
« Reply #45 on: March 23, 2008, 03:19:46 »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D Your westie sounds delightful!! Its quite endearing all their little quirks.... Bruno is sadly with us no more..... but we do now have our Border Collie who we call Basil... now Basil hates anyone sneezing.... if anyone in the house sneezes then he goes and hides..... we have no idea why he should but guess he just does not like the sneezing sound??? We all find ourselves trying to get into another room when we want to sneeze, just so we do not upset him!!

“Do you know how helpless you feel if you have a full cup of coffee in your hand and you start to sneeze?”
God made rainy days so gardeners could get the housework done.  ~Author Unknown

Love aromatic xxx

posie

• Hectare
  • Slowly winning??
« Reply #46 on: March 23, 2008, 07:40:15 »
Hi Posie
I have limited space in my greenhouse and I had to stack two of the plastic propagators on top of each other and they all germinated.

I did actually end up getting a 4 tier one from focus in the end (I'm very impressed, it's very sturdy and only £13.99), however due to my ever growing seed fetish, I'm about to run out of space in that one too!!! Somebody save me from myself!!!  In my defence, I'm growing my flowers from seed this year and I'm also growing some stuff for a sensory garden for autistic children too.  However, I need to be able to walk into a shop and walk out without buying more!!!   ;D ;D ;D ;D

On the subject of mad dogs, Hamish my rescue springer hates my chenille gloves, he savages me everytime he sees them, doesn't mind woolly ones or my gardening ones, just the chenille ones.  Mind you, he's not quite all there bless him!  ;D
What I lack in ability and experience, I make up for in sheer enthusiasm!!!

timiano

• Half Acre
    • The 21st Century Good Life
« Reply #47 on: April 09, 2008, 17:08:08 »
We've not got a greenhouse down or lotty, so we picked up a plastic one from Wickes the other day for £12. It's affixed to the wall with a screw and plug.

The drainpipe from the washing basin got in the way though, so I had to feed it through the greenhouse by cutting a hole in the sides, and a hole in one of the trays!!!

trinity

• Acre
« Reply #48 on: April 09, 2008, 20:47:44 »
MINE IS A SMALL ONE THAT LOOKS LIKE A SHELVING SYSTEM I GOT SOME PLASTIC GROUND PEGS FROM WILKINSONS (99P) AND SERCURED THE BOTTOM POLES DOWN WITH THESE SEEMS TO BE WORKING AT THE MOMENT HAS BEEN UP SINCE THE FIRST OF FEB YHOUGH IT IS IN TO CLAY SOIL AND I DONT THINH IT WOULD WORK IN LITE SANDY STUFF

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #49 on: April 13, 2008, 12:21:26 »
mines on the decking in the back garden and i have 2 chairs wedging it into place.

Timiano you might find that with the covers on your seed trays inside your greenhouse that the seeds will be over hot and dry out quickly ;)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal