Author Topic: Best yellow courgette  (Read 2354 times)

valentinelow

• Quarter Acre
    • 'One Man And His Dig' blog
Best yellow courgette
« on: February 12, 2008, 16:24:48 »
Does anyone have any opinions as to the best yellow courgette?
Last year we grew Soleil, but at least one of the plants provided fruit that was yellow heavily streaked with green. Not a good look... I am not sure why this should have happened. Was it a genetic freak? Or a hybrid reverting to type?
Anyway, as a result I am slightly reluctant to try them again.
Before that we grew Taxi, from Sarah Raven (which, bizarrely, came as a mixed packet with Defender, so you never knew what you were growing until it fruited). She does not do them any more, however.
Anyone have a favourite yellow one? And was my bad experience with the Soleil just a one-off?

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
Re: Best yellow courgette
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2008, 16:37:10 »

All zuchinni are types of  summer squash so going on that idea, my favourites and in this order are.

Yellow Crookneck  summer squash very buttery flavour my favourite
Sunburst Pattypan summer squash, very prolific  and tasty especially ,when small
Gold Rush if you want the regular zuchinni shape

XX Jeannine
« Last Edit: February 12, 2008, 16:40:28 by Jeannine »
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

froglets

• Hectare
  • "Chust sublime"
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2008, 17:18:22 »
We grew Orelia last year and really liked them - deffo growing lots again this year.  Nice flavour, best picked small & great for cooking.  They went into stews, curries, Thai, stir fry, you name it & kept some texture & good but mild flavour.  They grew well in raised manure bags and straight into the clay soil, didn't seem fussy.

Suttons do them & B&Q own brand have them too

from Suttons:

Courgette F1 Orelia Seeds 
Colourful and nutritious!
A true yellow courgette, producing delicious and attractive 12-18cm (5-7") fruits. Vigorous-growing and heavy-cropping.

£2.15 Code: 161344

Packet Content 10 seeds
CULTURE: Sow singly in pots April-May under glass at 20-25°C (69-78°F). Harvest July-October (12 weeks maturity). Pick often to ensure continuity.
HINTS: HEALTH BENEFITS: High in vitamins A, C and E. CULINARY TIPS: Leave skin on when cooking. Ideal for stir-fries and kebabs.

Cheers
is it in the sale?
(South Cheshire)

flowerlady

• Hectare
  • "Tug-o-Weeed!"
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2008, 17:37:20 »
How about Parador ....

An exceptionally heavy cropping, superior 'Gold Rush' type, produces shiny, yellow, cylindrical fruits with excellent taste, texture and quality.

;D ;D ;D
To everything there is a season and a time to every purpose under heaven: a time to be born and time to die: a time to plant, and a time to pluck up what is planted.     Ecclesiastes, 3:1-2

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2008, 20:08:21 »
Grew goldrush type two seasons ago and very prolific.Last season grew F'Orelia.They germinated well but failed to grow properly when planted out,however it was so wet,and we are on heavy clay.I think it was probally due to conditions. :-\

Suzanne

• Hectare
  • sun is shining
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2008, 22:02:31 »
I have grown Soleil and they were all yellow. I have something from Franchii which is a yellow courgette with very knobbly skin, which I will give a go this year as well - it's called something Rugosa (memory like a sieve  ::) these days and can't be bothered to go and look  ;D).

Having said that so far my favorites are sicilia bianca which is a white courgette and pattypans - mostly because they all have a slightly drier texture so i think a slightly better flavour when cooked. Although must say that most are picked young and used raw, finely sliced with vinagrette.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2008, 22:42:00 »
Just use "Gold Rush"
 :)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal