Author Topic: Two heads are better than one...shifting asparagus  (Read 1172 times)

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
Two heads are better than one...shifting asparagus
« on: February 11, 2008, 16:06:36 »
Hi, I dearly want to move my asparagus, it is in a 22 ft x5 ft raised bed 1 foot deep.

I want to move the bed actually as it is in the wrong place.

I cam move the timber, re build it, then fill it with new soil mix, what are the chances of successfully moving the plants. They have been planted for 4 years.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Trevor_D

• Hectare
  • north-west London
Re: Two heads are better than one...shifting asparagus
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2008, 16:20:02 »
I've never tried moving established asparagus crowns. How about leaving them in situ, but making a new bed (with new crowns) in your proposed new site. In two or three years, you'll be picking them, then you can try moving the first lot. If it works, you'll have double the amount of asparagus!

Only a thought....

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2008, 16:28:23 »
I moved an aparagus crown which had been growing for about 2 years in a friends allotment i took a large rootball and simply replanted the whole thing that was last year and now i have my first asparagus popping though the soil :) So i am sure its ok as long as you take as big a rootball as you can mange to limit root disterbance.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2008, 17:22:03 »
They all have to go if they are to be moved and it is a big bed, if I can't move them , they will have to stay, I am too old to start again  with new ones, and I can't stand the wait!!LOL

I can't do it with a root ball as they will all be interwined under the soil, there are al of of plants in there.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2008, 18:02:00 »
I think moving one crown is a lot easier than a bedful. I know that mine have intertwining roots, and they spread.  I wouldn't like to imagine what it's like under there  ??? ??? ???  Keeping the roots intact is the key I've heard, but if they're all mixed up ... ...
The Tuscan Beaneater

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2008, 18:14:37 »
perhapse this is the wrong time to move them as they will be producing spears soon.

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2008, 19:19:56 »
Mine have already produced a spear so i would be careful.

otto_nowak

• Quarter Acre
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2008, 19:28:56 »
i had to move a few four year old crowns last year... i still remember the aches the next day after trying to remove these monsters from the ground and i have to say it's one garden job i never want to repeat... 

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2008, 21:24:11 »
I pulled two tiny weenie ones today so I guess that is off for now, and  otto_nowak makes it all so clear, I guess I will think of that tomorrow LOL XX Jeannine

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal