Author Topic: Does anyone know what to do with figs?  (Read 2519 times)

TrailRat

• Half Acre
  • I like the feel of dirt in my teeth
Does anyone know what to do with figs?
« on: July 03, 2004, 11:35:16 »
Just been to the site where my future plot will be and chosen my plot. All the plots are massivly overgrown and one is so over grown that the brambles are 8 foot high. All the spare plots are bindweed ridden so no escaping that. So the plot I chose was two half plots, I'm renting both halfs. The first half is pretty clear with some crops on it but unsure wether they are crop or weed, but they're coming up anyway. The second half is bindweed ridden, so plenty of hard work. :D No livestock allowed so no chickens. :(  Bonfires are allowed as long as the wind is right and don't blow it in the direction of house that border the site on one side. Vandalisam is rare. The water source are spaced quite near to each plot, almost one tank for two plots. Council have offered to clear and rotavate the plot but I shall refuse as I have been told they just rotavate everything back into the soil including the bindweed. :o Lots of wild life, as we were walking over my future plot a fox darted out from underneath a pile of weeds. Lots of birds on site too but they seem to the helpful kind so I was told. Not sure what a helpful bird is in gardening. Hedgehogs have setup home on the over grown plots too and one plot holder even rents the plot slap bang in the middle of the site to keep the hedgehogs happy. He leaves it overgrown and the 'hogs nest in. So I'm content with my slice of England.

By this time your wondering the title of this thread.

Well the previous "tenant" left a very healthy fig tree and was wondering what to do with my first "harvest".

TrailRat
If it weren't for beer and sex than cycling would be the best thing in the world.

tig

• Half Acre
  • .....HI.....
Re:Does anyone know what to do with figs?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2004, 12:44:09 »
put them into fig rolls ,but how do they get the fig into fig rolls ;D :)
hi nick glad to hear youve got your plot now and
admire that you have decided to do all the hard graft yourself too, should make it all the more rewarding. nice too the way the other lottie holder keeps the plot wild for the wildlife. good luck to u

john .

budgiebreeder

• Hectare
  • West Yorkshire.
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2004, 12:51:34 »
Glad that you've got your plot .Take it a bit at a time Nick.Figs yes i knew someone who grew them even up here.Seem to remember they have two crops growing at once.This years and next.
Earth fills her lap with treasures of her own.

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2004, 17:29:50 »
Figs?-eat them raw,maybe with a bit of home grown melon and a few thin slices of prosciutto(buy the latter unless you are very keen-it`s possible to do your own but only for the mad ones amongst us ;D).

They should ripen outside where you are given a good summer.

Stephan

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2004, 17:38:06 »
OK Cleo spill!! How do I make my own prosciutto? I LOVE the stuff! (though my arteries probably don't!) DP
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2004, 17:16:53 »
Doris- don`t even think about it-it`s a labour of love.

Take a leg of pork from a good butcher,rub with a mix of salt and a little saltpetre(not easy to find now)every day for a week. Then bury in salt(a cold box is handy for this)for three to four weeks.

Then hang in a cool airy place for a year-well at least 8 months.

I have done it a couple of times but we have now turned the attic room into a bedroom. There are two huge problems though;

1-Both times the skin was like old army boots which made slicing a nighmare.

2-there is an awful lot of it.

Stephan

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2004, 17:23:36 »
Hehehehe Stephan! Maybe it is easier to get it from the deli! Especially as I have no cool place to hang it!
Thank you anyway! ;D
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

gavin

• Hectare
  • Good gardening!
    • Growing Vegetables on an Allotment in Leeds
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2004, 21:58:55 »
Mmmmm - a fresh French (-type) bread, Danish feta cheese, and fresh figs.  Nothing quite like a good breakfast in Egypt!

But to get figs?  All I had to do was nip down to the market!  Not much help - sorry :) !

All best - Gavin

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2004, 23:38:27 »
We had figs on our little baby fig tree and they were absolutely wonderful!  The difference in taste between fresh off the tree and shop brought was amazing.  My figs were like honey.  All I can say is, congrats on your new plots, and lucky you having figs to enjoy.  Eat them fresh and warm as they ripen, straight from the tree!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal