Author Topic: Inexpensive Christmas Present Ideas Wanted!  (Read 9717 times)

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
Re: Inexpensive Christmas Present Ideas Wanted!
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2007, 19:58:08 »
Some of the online photo sites do lovely albums and other gifts for you at amazing prices if your photos are digital. We did a lovely one for my m-i-law's 70th brthday. Have a look at Bonusprint for example;

http://www.bonusprint.co.uk/pages/photo_books_digital_prints.htm?level=2

christmas2007

« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2007, 18:36:31 »
I found this site for some Xmas Present Ideas, there is some cheap deals and stuff on there.

Please contact me for advertising rates !
 Blatant Advertising
« Last Edit: October 30, 2007, 22:26:30 by Admin aka Dan »

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2007, 22:24:36 »
give your name is this your site your advertising????

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2007, 09:20:06 »
think so, cam   :(

cambourne7

• Hectare
« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2007, 12:27:15 »
Hi

I found this link on the BBC, which looks at making stuff for Personalised Christmas hampers.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/christmas/essentials_presents.shtml#the_coffee_or_tea-lover's_hamper

Including

The coffee or tea-lover's hamper
Choose a variety of teas or coffees in small packets and wrap them up with a new teapot or a cafetière and perhaps some cups. Add some chocolate-covered coffee beans and homemade biscuits or biscotti.

James Martin's Homemade cranberry biscotti
Phil Vickery's Raisin biscotti
Gino D'Acampo's Amaretti biscuits

The chocolate-lover's hamper
Choose a selection of different good-quality chocolates, including anything from classic milk chocolate to innovative flavour combinations and interestingly shaped chocolates. Add some homemade chocolate cookies or muffins. You could also include a chocolate fondue set and special treats, such as shortbread and dried fruit, to dip into the melted chocolate.

Nigella Lawson's Intense chocolate cookies
Sue Lawrence's Christmas mini-muffins
Shortbread

The vegetarian hamper

Wrap up the veggie treats with a vegetarian cookbook or some seeds so they can grow their own vegetables

Choose an array of vegetarian delights such as artisan cheeses, selections of dried fruits and nuts, unusual pestos, jars of roasted vegetables, preserves and chutneys, plus some homemade oatcakes and pickled vegetables. Make sure to tell the recipient to store the hamper in a cool, dry place before opening. Wrap up the veggie treats with a vegetarian cookbook or some seeds so they can grow their own vegetables. If your recipient is an organic food-lover then make the hamper extra special by using all organic products and ingredients.

Pickled pears or peaches
Mrs Beeton's Pickled beetroot
Keith Floyd's Green tomato chutney
Lemon curd

The spice-lover's hamper
Display a range of Christmas-inspired spices such as cloves, cinnamon and nutmeg, in attractive spice jars. For an added touch, wrap the spices up with a spice rack or pestle and mortar. Include some homemade spiced biscuits, chutney or vanilla-infused sugar. You can include your own homemade mulled wine, resealed with a cork, and labelled with the recipient's name, for some Christmas cheer.

Antony Worrall Thompson's Spiced oat biscuits
Nigella Lawson's Christmas chutney
James Martin's Vanilla sugar
Mulled wine

The gluten-free hamper
For those with a gluten intolerance, surprise them with a range of gluten-free goodies. Include a selection of gluten-free cakes, biscuits and preserves. Try making some homemade delights, but keep in mind that some may only last for a few days. You could also add an inspiring gluten-free cookbook.

Darina Allen and Rosemary Kearney's Blueberry muffins
Darina Allen and Rosemary Kearney's Brownies
Michelle Berriedale-Johnson's Christmas pudding

The deli-lover's hamper
Choose a selection of artisan cheeses, jars of marinated vegetables and olives, cured sausages and good-quality flavoured olive oil. Make sure to tell the recipient to store the hamper in a cool, dry place before opening. To make it extra-special include a wooden board or attractive serving plate to display the deli treats. Include some homemade chutney and savoury biscuits.

Pinki Sharma's Pumpkin and apple chutney
Rick Stein's Parmesan biscuits
Katie and Giancarlo Caldesi's Preserved courgettes
Rick Stein's Piccalilli

The British speciality hamper
Choose a range of British delights, where possible sourcing local ingredients, including speciality cheese, homemade seasonal jams and chutneys and homemade festive drinks. Make sure to tell the recipient to store the hamper in a cool, dry place before opening.

Gerard Baker's Sloe gin
Bramble jelly
Mrs Beeton's Carrot jam
Simon Rimmer's Pumpkin pickle

The cheese-lover's hamper
Many cheeses come in small sizes which are ideal for this type of present. Choose a selection of four or five and partner them with some good chutneys, marmalades, pickled onions and unusual cheese biscuits. You could also add a wooden cheese board or a cheese knife. Don't forget to tell the recipient to store the hamper in a cool, dry place before opening.

Pickled onions
Eliza Acton's Quince marmalade
Roxy Beaujolais's Onion marmalade
James Martin's Oatcakes

If this does not provide you with ideas for this year then you might want to book mark for next year :)

Cambourne7

Suzanne

• Hectare
  • sun is shining
« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2007, 12:59:42 »
We havve been having budget Christmas's for a while - deliberately to make the whole family think about what others might like rather than buying an expensive gift.

In previous years I have started windowsill herb collections for the cooks in the family from cuttings of sage, rosemary, thyme and also started some soft herbs off like basil (from seed pads). In little terracotta pots (bought cheaply), placed in a big enough terracotta trough and decorated - these look lovely on the kitchen windowsill. They do need a bit of planning though.

I also cheekily have got people some "experiences". For example for one of the younger members of the family who wanted to work with animals particularly exotics I got them a days work experience at a local Zoo. Just cost me the time to arrange. So in comparison with a "walking with wolves" experience costing around £60 then was good value.

Some of the better gifts I have received have been when people have thought about what my interests really are. I have gotten really old gardening books (pre 2nd world war) bought for pennies at jumble sales but brilliant reading.

cambourne7

• Hectare
« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2007, 13:19:40 »
Yes i think i will be having a simlar 'budget' christmas :)

Fortunalty what my hubbie really really wants is out of stock so he cant have it :)

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2007, 14:46:28 »
I alway get the OH a pair of slippers and a vibrator. Then if she does not like the slippers she can go and...... The rest of the answer you will find somewhere in the watershed.

cambourne7

• Hectare
« Reply #28 on: November 23, 2007, 15:06:07 »
oh dear ace, i would have though that you would have included batterys :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal