Author Topic: Went for an X-Ray yesterday -  (Read 974 times)

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
Went for an X-Ray yesterday -
« on: July 26, 2007, 15:32:04 »
- & the operator mentioned that they were hoping for a new machine but could not afford it.

Wondered how much each plate would cost - she did 4 of me. She was not sure, but thought about £80.  No wonder they can't get a new machine. I felt very guilty!

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
Re: Went for an X-Ray yesterday -
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2007, 15:42:45 »
Tim. Why would you feel guilty? I am sure it was necessary to take 4. and very often their expertise save things getting worse. Hope nothing serious,
Regards Lorna.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2007, 15:45:26 »
don't see why you would feel guilty, Tim, I had 8 taken last time, Ray reckons I'm radio-active by now, you must've needed the x rays  :)

moonbells

• Hectare
  • Growing up
    • Moonbells' allotment diary
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2007, 12:47:31 »
Plain X-ray machines aren't *that* expensive, as medical diagnostic equipment goes. You need a machine (I'd guess at £100K max) which needs to go in a shielded room, a radiographer to run it and a radiologist to read the scans, and secretaries to make appointments and type up the radiologists' reports and send them to GPs/consultants.

The biggies are MRI and PET/CT scanners. The basic scanner costs between 0.7 and 1.5 million pounds, then a hospital has to drop running costs on top of that, and building costs if it is a new installation.

Basic running costs require at least a pair of radiographers (neither can be inexperienced as it's a complex process to image people using one), secretarial support, a consultant radiologist for reporting the results, general overheads (heat, light, phones, letters etc) and probably a manager if there's more than one scanner.

Scanner overheads are things like maintenance contracts, for MRI: helium fills every few months, aircon servicing, machine upgrades and servicing. For PET/CT, again servicing, but also the cost of radioactive isotopes needed (a few hundred a pop).

Buildings aren't cheap either - MRI rooms need to be shielded against stray radio waves and must be on a solid concrete base (they are very heavy!). PET/CT rooms have to be shielded against radioactivity.

The Govt a few years ago had a scheme called 'New Opportunities Fund' which paid for a lot of scanners to give to local district general hospitals. And then the hospitals realised it was a very expensive gift: although they got the scanners, most of the time they had to pick up building and maintenance and operating costs themselves. And they couldn't afford it. So they mothballed the scanners!  ::) Others were paid for by the Lottery, but then ran into the same problem.

http://tinyurl.com/2hh89h
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/3606484.stm

And this is before you even think about *treatment* machines such as radiotherapy linacs. Or even the fact that such machines need to be replaced after 5-7 years and often aren't...

Oh for joined-up thinking!

Don't feel guilty about having plain X-rays Tim... actual costs of an MRI are several hundred.

moonbells (day job is in a place with four, soon to be five modern scanners, where the replacement is by an Appeal and the operating costs are paid for by scan revenues.)
Diary of my Chilterns lottie (NEW LOCATION!): http://www.moonbells.com/allotment/allotment.html

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2007, 19:31:01 »
I hope all is well Tim. I saved the NHS a fortune by eventually giving up cricket as I was breaking more fingers than I was taking wickets and they were mine  :-[ ;D

debster

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2007, 23:06:58 »
all the overheads incurred by necessary imaging for patients and they still only run 9 to 5 monday to friday in all but emergency situations. as a nurse i have had many patients who are in hospital over the whole weekend waiting for a scan which the docs are 99% certain will be normal then discharged monday or tuesday how much for an in patient stay these days?Tim they dont x ray unless they need to so dont feel guilty besides someone who gets as much fresh air and excercise as you do and eats well is doing everything possible to keep healthy

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2007, 08:07:25 »
Fascinating reading.

Yes - £100,000 was the figure she quoted &, being a 'cottage hospital' - about the only one left hereabouts - that was out of the question.

No - nothing serious - just a very painful shoulder for the last 4 months.

Had an MRI a decade ago - No2 Daughter came too (Nurse) & sat in the 'office'. As each slice came up on the screen she could see all the damage I had done to my lungs in 50 years of smoking! I had given that up ten years before.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2007, 08:40:16 by tim »

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal