Author Topic: Chili preserve ideas  (Read 5714 times)

Biscombe

• Hectare
  • Spanish Gardening In Orgiva
Chili preserve ideas
« on: July 18, 2007, 22:46:55 »
The more the merrier please!! Ideas on pickles, relish, sauce and anything that can be preserved.

I only tried and tested recipe I have to offer is Thai sweet chili sauce, I'll try and fish it if you want me to post it.

Thanks in advance

Biscombe

• Hectare
Re: Chili preserve ideas
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2007, 22:52:10 »
Found it!

Thai Sweet Chilli Sauce

Ingredients
2 ounces fresh red chilies, roughly chopped (remove seeds if less heat is desired)
3/4 cup sugar
1 cup white vinegar
4 ounces sultanas, chopped (white raisins)
1-2 clove garlic, finely chopped
2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh ginger
1/2-1 teaspoon salt (to taste)
Method
Place chilies in a food processor with half the vinegar and process until the chilies are finely chopped.
Do not be concerned if the chili seeds remain whole.
Combine the chili and vinegar mixture with the remaining vinegar, and all other ingredients, in a small stainless steel saucepan (take care adding the salt- you can always add more later if you wish).
Stir over low heat until sugar dissolves, bring to the boil briefly, then reduce temperature to allow the mixture to simmer gently until the chilies and sultanas are soft, about 15 to 20 minutes.
When cool, puree until almost smooth.
Pour into a suitably sized sterilised bottle and seal.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2007, 22:53:43 »
My chilli jelly

The recipe has no measurements.

A sack full of apples.  I use whatever I have from the trees on my allotment, one is an eater, one a cooker and I mix.  When I have needed to make more out of apple season, I pick up whatever apples are available on the cheap counter in the supermarket.

A handfull of chillis, as many as you like to make it as hot as you like.

Chop up the apples, skins, pips the lot and put in a huge pan.  Add water, just enough to cover the fruit and cook for 30 or 40 minutes until you have a pan of apple pulp.  If worried about the set, then I add a lemon or 2, just cut in half and chucked in to the apples.  It also keeps the apple pulp slightly clearer rather than it discolouring.  You can also bung a couple of good hot chillis in with this mush to cook, again, just cut in half.  The resulting liquid will be infused and warming, but watch your eyes and lips, if using scotch bonnets for example, it will BURN!

I then pour this pulp firstly through a course seive, then the course liquid goes through a jelly bag or muslin.  It is up to you if you want to give the bag a squeeze - it depends how clear you want it.  I am impatient and squeeze.  I do try to do this first stage in the afternoon so I can leave the bag to drip overnight.

I use one pound of sugar for every pint of liquid.  Add the liquid back into a huge pan and bring to a rolling boil, take it off the heat and stir in the sugar stirring until it is all dissolved.  Now add the chillis.  You can chop them, mince them, leave them chunky, it is up to you.  I leave the seeds in as I want it powerful.  The heat is up to you.  You can always test a little towards the end of cooking and if you want it hotter, then you can add some more.  With the chillis in I now bring it back to a rolling boil, stick the themometer in and begin to stir and watch it like a hawk until it reaches setting point.  Once there I bottle immediately into sterile warm jars and seal them.  You can poke a couple of whole chillis in for effect if you like.  The chillis will all float to the top, unless you have put in hundreds, so after an hour or 2 I give each jar a shake to encorporate the chillis throughout.  I keep doing this until they stay put in the jelly.  You should have a clear pinkish coloured jelly speckled with chilli flesh.  It looks great if you use all different colour chillis.

Biscombe

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2007, 08:54:37 »
Cheers EJ! Resent buying apples though with a garden full of veg!! no apple trees  :'( we also see how long we can go without buying fruit or veg, been ages now!!! but when we succumb i will be giving your fab recipie a go  ;D

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2007, 20:27:39 »
This is a recipe for pickled chillies from a Jamie Oliver cookbook:-

PICKLED CHILLIES

Pickled chillies are absolutely superb.  They are brilliant because they can just sit in the fridge waiting to be used.   I particularly like to use them in stir-frying or in broths or to eat them just as they are with some cheese and bread.

600g/1lb 5oz medium green chillies
15 black peppercorns
5 bas leaves
3 tablespoons coriander seeds
5 teaspoons salt
6 heaped tablespoons caster sugar
1 litre/1¾ pints white wine vinegar or rice vinegar

For this recipe you must use perfect green chillies without any blemishes (you can use red chillies, but they will be slightly hotter).

Carefully score from the stalk end to the tip on one side only and remove the seeds (use the handle of a teaspoon for this).  Pour boiling water over the chillies, let them sit for 5 minutes, then drain.  This will get rid of most of the seeds left behind.

Next put the black peppercorns, bay leaves, coriander, chillies and salt into a large jar, or other airtight container.  Put the sugar and the vinegar into a pan and heat until the sugar is fully dissolved.  When this is quite hot, but not boiling, pour it into the jar with the chillies.  Allow I to cool down and then put the lid on.

Put in the fridge and leave for a minimum of two weeks before using.  They will keep in the fridge for at least four months.

We have kept them in the fridge for longer than four months.

valmarg

Biscombe

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2007, 09:02:36 »
Cheers valmarg I'l try that!

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2007, 10:55:37 »
My chilli jelly

I can strongly recommend the chilly jelly. Never even made jam before, but last year tried EJ's recipe and it was great. Family fought over it!

Biscombe

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2007, 11:16:00 »
Thats done it! I'm off to BUY apples!  ;)

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2007, 22:29:56 »
Emma - what is the setting temperature please. I only have an American candy thermometer which gives temperatures from  0-200C (or 100-400F). There is a chart for deep fat frying or candies and syrups - but not jams or jellies - grrrr! - so I'd appreciate your advice please.

I have a large bag of frozen sliced apples and will have to use those up before buying any  :)!.

Tricia

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal