Photo Gallery > Fun Photos

Checking gif

<< < (3/3)

Gardengirl:
I thought of growing a buddliah, but don't they grow rather large?  Would I be able to grow one in a container perhaps to keep the size down.  I'm not sure of what other plants attract the butterflies, any suggestions anyone??

Jesse:
Mmmmm, sounds like that's what I need (Buddliah) but where can I squeeze it in. Do they mind partial shade? don't imagine they do like it.

eileen:
I had a butterfly bush for years and found that if I cut it back severely in the autumn it never grew too big. Just a pity I had to move house and leave it behind.  :'( :'(
Now I find that lilacs are just as good for attracting butterflies and come in dwarf forms as well as the standard sized tree ones.
I also plant out loads of wild flower seeds each year which the bees as well as the butterflies seems to enjoy. Lavendar is also great for attracting them as are my scented roses and brooms. My cottoneaster also attracts lots of bees too when in flower.
There's bound to be far more plants than I've mentioned but these are just a few of the ones I have that I know for sure attract the insects I want.

I must admit to not having nearly as many butterflies as I've had in past years. So far only, Torties, cabbage whites, orange tips, peacocks and red admirals. I seem to get more varieties round about the end of July/beginning of August than at any other time of year but don't know why.

Thanks for the advice BB - I'll use it the next time I feel like at change.  :D

Jess my BB didn't seem to mind partial shade at all just as long as it had enough light to encourage it to flower.

Eileen.

Gardengirl:
I have most of the plants you mention in my garden Eileen, but still not a great many butterflies :(  Maybe as you say, as the summer goes on the numbers may increase with a bit of luck, but I think sadly they are certainly in decline  :(

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version