Author Topic: yippie !!  (Read 5403 times)

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
yippie !!
« on: July 10, 2007, 20:29:31 »
Hi Guys,

Having missed 2 ebay auctions this weekend for greenhouses i was a little downharted.

Just offered a fellow plot holder some of the 5-6kg of Nicola i have just harvested from one row. And he told me hes going and would i like his greenhouse.

Woopie!!

I just need to level a peice of land move the greenhouse about 60ft to my plot and put it back up with some concreted in angle iron to hold it down from the high winds!!

I am so excited!!

Cambourne7

Chris Graham

• Hectare
  • Stirling, Scotland
    • Backyard
Re: yippie !!
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2007, 20:40:03 »
Thats great news!!!

Astronomy, Veggies & Beer

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2007, 20:53:22 »
Lucky you!

cambourne7

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2007, 23:09:14 »
Thanks Chris & Caroline.

:-)

cambourne7

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2007, 15:18:28 »
I was wondering how i protect the greenhouse from stones being thrown?

As i plan to put the shed against 2 fence panels it means that there is an opportunity for kids to pelt it as they have done on other greenhouses.

Also where would be the best place to get replacement glass??? And What glass is the best to get??

prink13

• Hectare
  • Sleeping the day away!
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2007, 16:03:07 »
Congratulations! - isn't it nice getting something for free!!!!

Kathi
Kathi :-)

northener

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2007, 16:03:48 »
Shoot them with an air rifle that normally keeps them away. I get mine from local hardware shop, your better with 4mm thick if it does get hit, it'll bounce off.Only kidding about the airrifle. Oh and nice one lucky you.

cambourne7

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2007, 16:11:19 »
Thanks guys, i do need to get some glass as some of the bits were broken in the last breakin. And i will probably break at least one in moving the greenhouse.

Yes its great to get something for free and i feel very quilty to take it, but i am sure that will wear off ! I offered him some money and he said no so i gave him a bag of my freshly dug spuds for his dinner :)

norfolklass

• Hectare
  • Norwich - a fine city
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2007, 16:13:56 »
many congrats cambourne, am quite envious!
my neighbour has two greehouses but they're now full of thistles – apparently it's the same every year ::)

good luck in getting it onto your plot, and don't feel guilty about it either.
you should feel virtuous: reduce, reuse and recycle an' all that ;)

cambourne7

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2007, 16:19:34 »
yes i suppose :-)

I am heading up to the plot in a bit, i am going to paint with preservant some 2ft wide boards  which i am going to use to skirt around the bottom of my fencing to stop the weeds growing through. And it will help to raise the level of my plot at the bottom to give me a level area for the greenhouse.

My plot is on downwards slope so i need to raise it about 1/2 a foot on one side to make it level enough to errect it.

Then i need to decide if i leave the soil uncovered or put slabs in.

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2007, 19:09:56 »
We got given a greenhouse with some glass missing and we ordered some online from greenhouses direct. It was poly carbon though. We did use some of the plastic stuff that the previous owner had put in and at first I thought it looked a bit scruffy but to be honest because it s a bit scuffed and not perfectly clear the plants seem to like it. Tony has put some cane batons across the greenhouse roof with wire netting fastened on to it. So far this year we have not had any problems and we are within throwing distance from a fence. I'm sure I read a thread on here somewhere  where someone had put a wire barrier over the Gh. thats where we got the idea from. I know you will enjoy it whatever you decide. Dont forget the pics
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

cambourne7

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2007, 20:02:08 »
thanks shirlton plenty for me to mull over :-)

MrsKP

• Hectare
  • Sunny Glasgow
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2007, 22:36:55 »
here's my experience with glass Cam.

http://www.allotments4all.co.uk/smf/index.php/topic,29139.0.html

oh and well done you.

;D
There's something happening every day  @ http://kaypeesplot.blogspot.com/ & http://kaypeeslottie.blogspot.com/

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2007, 22:46:05 »
Good news Cam. I am sure you will have great fun in the greenhouse, nice place to b e when the rain comes.
Lorna

cambourne7

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2007, 23:26:09 »
thanks guys.

I have swapped sunday dinner and some shelf space in Feb for some elbow greese to help get the greenhouse moved to the plot and put up :-) I have also secured some free angle iron to hold the greenhouse in place, any tips on how i cut it?

When the place that is dlivering my wood calls tomorrow i will ask them to bring 2 bags of postcreate with them :)

I have been having a look at it today and there are 2 large paving slabs that i can take which means that i can plant down 2 sides and the back. I have some shelving i can use ( plant below and shelving above ).

What this means is that as i build up the level under the greenhouse i can add manure to the right places and then compost which will give me ideal planting conditions when the greenhouse is in place.
I have been thinking that building the level up would be easier then digging the area out of the heavy clay and i cant miss the opportunity to add quality manageable soil and manure.

I have 2 plants ( tomato currants from bbc gardeners world ) that i can move in to my greenhouse but i think i might be 2 late to plant anything else at this stage.

Any tips on anything i can still plant??

I can start the seeds off now for planting in 2-3 weeks time when the greenhouse is in place.

Cambourne7
(still feeling shuffed)

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2007, 09:29:50 »
My Tone say's you cut angle iron with a hacksaw. He once made bunk beds for the kids years ago when we were very hard up. He was a toolmaker. Build you anything if it was made of metal. Trouble is evrything he made was as strong as the bloomin forth bridge. The kids still take the pee out of him and his andy angle
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

SnooziSuzi

• Acre
  • ~ Su in Durham~
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2007, 09:46:28 »
Congrats on your greenhouse Cambourne!

When I got my gh a couple of sheets slipped and smashed so I went online and found www.greenhousewarehouse.co.uk and ordered 3 lots of poly carbon sheeting instead of glass.  it's been in for a few months now and hasn't started to dull or anything.  When I ordered, Greenhouse Warehouse had their own website, but now it looks as if they trade through evilBay.  2' x 2' x 3mm polycarbonate sheets selling at 6.75 + £6.50 p&p  (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/3mm-ACRYLIC-GREENHOUSE-GLASS-24-x-24-610-x-610mm_W0QQitemZ140136408652QQihZ004QQcategoryZ42153QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem).  Maybe other A4A'ers know of a less costly option that won't break?

B&Q (www.diy.com) sell full packs of replacement glass, but it's pricey - from memory it's around £100 for a 6x4 set of sheets, but they are cut to the right shapes and sizes for you.

As for stopping kids chucking stones, unfortunately you can't.  it's like aphids.  you'll always get them and they are pains in the butts but you could always try squirting the kids with soapy water!  ;D
SnooziSuzi
Acting my shoe size, not my age!

emmy1978

• Hectare
  • It's good to be in my gardening shoes again!
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2007, 09:59:26 »
Yay Cam, well done you! See, those ebay misses were fate, imagine if you'd got one and then got offered free one.... ;D
Don't throw paper away. There is no away.

cambourne7

• Hectare
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2007, 14:44:36 »
emmy1978 - your right there altough the one i was bidding on was six sided so cute rather than practical :-)

Shirlton - Great news i will dig the hacksaw out :-) i have salvaged loads of angle iron so i have penty to cement in each corner. Thanks andy angle for me.

SnooziSuzi - It was only after i read some other posts that i realised that i have 6 sheets of polycarbonate sheeting from previous scavaging :-) So i think i would like to replace 2 of the broken panes (the ones visiable to the fencing) with the poycarbonate stuff and then get some glass for the rest of it.

allaboutliverpool

• Hectare
  • allaboutliverpool.com
    • My Allotment in Liverpool
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2007, 23:05:17 »
It is dreadful to worry about vandalism, I decided the answer was to build cheap, and made moveable wood/plastic units on my raised beds.

I would love a proper one like yours, good luck.

So far so good.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal