Author Topic: The state of my Scottish tomatoes ;)  (Read 2362 times)

Chris Graham

• Hectare
  • Stirling, Scotland
    • Backyard
The state of my Scottish tomatoes ;)
« on: July 08, 2007, 21:08:34 »
Still seem quite small.

- leassons learnt, sow later and plant out later  ;)

But anyway here are some photos.

Ferline

Greenhouse - Sungold, Alicante & Black Cherry

Astronomy, Veggies & Beer

pye

• Half Acre
  • Little plot of London clay
Re: The state of my Scottish tomatoes ;)
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2007, 21:34:12 »
If it's any consolation Chris you're still way ahead of me.  :)

I've got lots of little green toms on my tumblers, but the cordons are still only 2ft tall and just developing their second trusses of flowers ::)

And I'm in the balmy (ha ha!) south east.

(I sowed mid-April, BTW)
You been goofin' with the bees?

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2007, 23:00:55 »
Yup, ahead of me to and I am in arid Essex!

Wicker

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2007, 23:29:46 »
More advanced than my outside toms (only Sungold outside) and about the same as those indoors - here in Edinburgh.  Just waiting for that long hot summer ...........
Equality isn't everyone being the same, equality is recognising that being different is normal.

MrsKP

• Hectare
  • Sunny Glasgow
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2007, 13:04:18 »
i'm definitely holding off for a few more weeks next year and cutting down on plants.

far to eager and greedy this year and I don't think that's helped the plants at all.

later, and less is more approach, to give them the attention they deserve.

My marmandes are showing the most fruit.  closer inspection of the pic on the plot blot has revealed about half a dozen fruit on that plant.  very strange seeing as that's one of the more ignored plants !
There's something happening every day  @ http://kaypeesplot.blogspot.com/ & http://kaypeeslottie.blogspot.com/

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2007, 14:47:51 »
My East Europeans (Latah and Black Russian) seem the quickest off the mark.

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2007, 17:48:15 »
Later - but not much less, KP?

MrsKP

• Hectare
  • Sunny Glasgow
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2007, 19:09:43 »
a more manageable less tim.  my head is spinning with it all again this year (much like last year).

At least next season, I'll have the lottie and will have done the preparation and planning in advance of the season.  It was all a bit of a last minute panic this year. 

i've overcrowded the toms and haven't had the time to spend nuturing them which i think is why they're ignoring me. 

The legumes will move to the lottie and make room for the fruit bushes in the ground rather than pots.  The two toms I threw into the ground very late on (due to running out of black buckets, are by far the healthiest looking toms I've got.  None of this rampant leggy stuff in the g/houses.  So I'll dedicate an outdoor bed to a few next year, but a wee bit earlier .......
There's something happening every day  @ http://kaypeesplot.blogspot.com/ & http://kaypeeslottie.blogspot.com/

Wicker

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2007, 22:08:20 »
More advanced than my outside toms (only Sungold outside) and about the same as those indoors - here in Edinburgh.  Just waiting for that long hot summer ...........

Well it got a whole lot hotter then I hoped - vandals visited out site and our shed got burned to the ground early hours of Friday and my Sungold were in pots in front of the shed they were incinerated.........

Still can't get my head round it - but it is just a shed/contents we have lost and not our home as is happening in the flooded areas down south.

P.S. I did get one early ripe tom and it was delicious 
Equality isn't everyone being the same, equality is recognising that being different is normal.

ruud

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2007, 22:42:56 »
I am ahead with my outside toms,already ate some.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal