Author Topic: absolute begineer  (Read 2601 times)

TrailRat

• Half Acre
  • I like the feel of dirt in my teeth
absolute begineer
« on: June 11, 2004, 16:50:58 »
I have been to see my local council about aquiring an allotment but before I start I was wondering about if their was anything I should know. The closest I come to being green fingered is growing windowsill herbs at school. My "cash crop" I'm hoping to grow are apples, but before that I want to start on fruit and veg. I also want to go organic and am looking for advice on that. Is there any restriction on what you can grow on an allotment? Any advice, links and comments etc would be appriecated.

yours

TrailRat
If it weren't for beer and sex than cycling would be the best thing in the world.

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
Re:absolute begineer
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2004, 16:59:32 »
The first step for any 'newby' in the allotment game is to get one!
When you get over this first hurdle, check back here with details of what your plot is like. Chances are it will be overgrown and you will have quite a bit of work to do before you consider what you're going to grow.
Good luck in your efforts, but first get the best plot you can get hold of in terms of location, condition, water access, neighbouring plots and security. People on here will give you all the help they can. Welcome to a great 'growing' site, Trailrat.
Hope to see you back soon.
PS: With regard to filling an allotment with apple trees, I doubt you will get permission for that on a rented site. Trees are (almost) forever. An odd tree might be OK but how would you fancy being giving a plot full of trees when all you wanted to do was grow veg?
« Last Edit: June 11, 2004, 17:02:22 by kenkew »

The gardener

• Acre
  • In gardening-Effort in generally equals effort out
    • The Gardeners Almanac
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2004, 17:05:09 »
We were all there at one time Trailrat,so welcome to A4all.
Perhaps if you firstly browse through the following site you might getsome idea of what it is all about. After that you can come back to all of us to dot the eyes and cross the T's.

For example;There is Gavin Eileen and me with our crosses and Tim with his T, and quite a few of us appear quite 'dotty' from time to time ;D

http://www.nsalg.demon.co.uk/
« Last Edit: June 11, 2004, 17:06:59 by The gardener »

The Gardener

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2004, 22:56:16 »
Welcome Trailrat.  Just wanted to add on the apple tree point, on our first allotment trees were not allowed at all.  Our current plot is on an old priory orchard, so comes with trees!  Different sites have different rules and regulations so before you can really plan your cash crop, you need to get a plot and find out what goes.  As Ken said, if you can be picky, try to get one with good access to water, not overshadowed by trees, good security, and not to weedy!  Wishful thinking I think that is.

Good luck getting your plot, and come back and tell us all about it.

gavin

• Hectare
  • Good gardening!
    • Growing Vegetables on an Allotment in Leeds
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2004, 00:19:56 »
Hi Trailrat - welcome!

If you want to browse a few links, there are a few Internet Links in the News thread - here http://www.allotments4all.co.uk/yabbse/index.php?board=12;action=display;threadid=866

All the best - Gavin

Muddy_Boots

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2004, 00:36:29 »
If there are restrictions for trees on your site, how about a cordon system of mini trees?  These are now proven and produce reasonably good crops, cetrainly as much as you might require for home use and you can produce them on quite low heights!

I would suggest googling for something like 'cordon apples' or cultivation of apples for hedging'.  Cerrainly, have have seen it done, so must be info somewhere!  Best of luck  :)

Sorry, if I had been replying during the early part of the day, would have checked for you.  Apologies!
« Last Edit: June 12, 2004, 00:37:50 by Muddy_Boots »
Muddy Boots

Jesse

• Hectare
    • News2Share
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2004, 08:18:23 »
If I was going to grow apples on an allotment I would buy the dwarf variety and grow them in pots as cordons (you do need a large size pot for this). I have seen them grown in pots and they produce a good amount of apples considering. The advantage of pots is that you can change your mind about where you want them situated and if for some reason you decided to relocate your allotment you would be able to take them with you. In my experience apple trees are an expensive investment, especially if you are planning to grow many and are not something you would want to leave behind.

I am probably biased but I can recommend Discovery, they are available on dwarf rootstock (I have an espalier on dwarf rootstock although it doesn't look much like an espalier anymore! and a standard tree). They are good fruiters (in most years except this year for me) and the apples are lovely - sweet and juicy. I have had my trees for 7 years now and have experienced no disease that affects the apples apart from the occasional wasp eating them. The disadvantage - I believe they don't keep as well as some others but I wouldn't know, we eat them too quickly.  ;D
Green fingers are the extension of a verdant heart - Russell Page

http://www.news2share.co.uk

Ceri

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2004, 09:08:35 »
our site rules basically state we can only plant annual fruit/veg so asparagus, strawberries, trees etc. are out.

While blind eyes are turned to strawberries, redcurrant bushes and the like, I think trees would be a huge no no.  Would there not be an issue of overshading your own plot, or far worse, your neighbour's plot years down the line?

I love the idea of apple cordons in pots - that wouldn't break our rules - thanks Jesseveve

TrailRat

• Half Acre
  • I like the feel of dirt in my teeth
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2004, 11:46:58 »
Not really worried as to how long they apples last because come harvest time they're gonna be pulped and cidered. Hey, apart from plenty of fresh air, exercise and fun I got to "squeeze a little" pleasure from my plot. I have taken your apple breeds to heart and researching their potential for cider, but I will need crab apples for their tannin as this helps preserve and ferement the apples.
If it weren't for beer and sex than cycling would be the best thing in the world.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal