Author Topic: 'Leggy Growth'  (Read 1306 times)

TonyM

• Not So New ...
'Leggy Growth'
« on: April 10, 2007, 16:36:42 »
Hi all, I am already beginning to see the results of some indoor planting after only a couple of weeks.

My question is to do with the recent growth spurt. I have some good example of Sweetcorn and Courgettes but they seem to be quite tall already and described as Leggy by a fellow plot holder after discussing the issue.

Is this a light issue as per an earlier post or is it just too warm and cosy indoors?

Am thinking of moving them outside already to a PVC greenhouse thing to see if that checks the growth back a bit.

Any advice?

Thanks
TonyM

AlanP

• Half Acre
  • Willy Nelson
    • http://www.freewebs.com/alanparkin/index.htm
Re: 'Leggy Growth'
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2007, 23:16:31 »
To warm and not enough light will make for leggy plants, think it might be a good idea to move them to the greenhouse, just watch out for any frost as I think you are a bit early with that type of plant
Just one more polytunnel, just one more chicken coop.
Just one more allotment.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2007, 23:24:44 »
I have sweetcorn and courgettes in my greenhouse, but it does have an electric fan heater which keeps the house frost free.  I would definately get them in the greenhouse, but keep a close eye on the weather as AlanP says.  Keep fleece, or sheets of newspaper handy to cover up, or just bring the plants in at night if it is going to be frosty.

OliveOil

• Hectare
  • Lincs
    • Phoenix Traders Forum
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2007, 23:31:11 »
Yep warm and not enough light.

Think its a bit early for sweetcorn!  Try a different area... I moved my seed trays from down stairs dining and kitchen to upstairs office room and the difference in seedlings is amazing.

i find pvc greenhouse good for seedlings... plants are harder in pvc though esp as the weather get warmer 0 they just bake

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2007, 10:12:26 »
I think this is far too early for corn,this is one veggie that planting early won't help give you earlier corn, in fact it can have the opposite effect, three weeks at the very  most  in a pot and it needs to be in the ground otherwise its internal clock is  disrupted. You can plant the older varieties and pot for longer but so few people grow them now.

I don't plant mine till May, early or mid depending on the weather unless weather is really good and I take a chance on an early planting.

I would move the corn from the house to the greenhouse, it will slow it down a bit which  is a good thing right now,

I will plant some corn this week ready to go out if the weather is OK in May  but  I will plant a second batch in Mid May as a back up if it turns cold suddenly and it can't go out. It sounds like a waste but usually if I do this I grow both, only rarely do I plant two though.The weather seems good enough to have a go this year so I will.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2007, 20:21:46 »
oops, sowed my sweetcorn yesterday in loorolls, but in my cold greenhouse so maybe they will be slow enough to be ok.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal