Author Topic: somethings got to go in the greenhouse but what  (Read 1416 times)

glow777

• Hectare
  • up in the hills in Buxton
somethings got to go in the greenhouse but what
« on: April 11, 2007, 09:02:27 »
Seriously running out of window space so some things will have to go to the greenhouses on the lottie.

problem is its still cold there with temps getting close to freezing (but just staying above at the moment)

So what plants from the "plant out after last frost" are going to be least affected by the cold?

from the following:-
sunflowers
tomatoes x many flavours
cucumbers
peppers
aubs
sweetcorn
melon
squahes
chillis
courgettes
marrow
dahlias
cosmos

etc

some of the above havent been sown yet, but its getting close to sowing time and hey'll have to be started indoors

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
Re: somethings got to go in the greenhouse but what
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2007, 09:47:40 »
All my large  squash have been moved to the lottie greenhouse,about a week ago and are doing fine here in Hull.

I have turned off the heat to my home greenhouse which has the other stuff in, melons,peppers etc, but I am prepared  turn that on again if need be, and I have noticed they have slowed down,

It is always a juggling act I think,

Xx Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2007, 10:05:16 »
Know exactly what you mean Glow. Our dining room table, upstairs bedroom table, all the window sills are just about reaching saturation point now, and we need to get things out in the greenhouse, though it is unheated. Some of the tomatoes are looking quite leggy so they have gone out and mixed cornflowers and sweet peas are out there too, but I need to free some more space so I can sow some more seeds.  It is a bit of a risk in case the nights get too cold, but needs must.  So I am going for a big reshuffle today. Just going to use my own innitiative and put out what looks sturdy, but I don't think our sweet corn is ready or courgettes and haven't sown my squash yet.  Good luck with your plantlings. busy_lizzie   
live your days not count your years

allaboutliverpool

• Hectare
  • allaboutliverpool.com
    • My Allotment in Liverpool
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2007, 10:14:31 »
I moved most of my stuff to the allotment frame last week, but I am ready with fleece if cold is forcast (last nights MINIMUM temperature in my garden last night was 11.8!

The only things to suffer appear to be the cucumber seedlings which look shell-shocked. It is not a problem as I can sow more in my newly, nearly empty greenhouse.

http://www.allaboutliverpool.com/allaboutallotments1_homepage.html

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2007, 10:59:01 »
I'm going to have to start moving stuff out to the mini-greenhouses next week. Fortunately it's getting sufficiently late for any frosts to be the sort that won't affect anything under cover; last year was a col spring, and I moved stuff out in mid-April. Nothing died, but the problem wwas that some stuff didn't grow, and peppers and aubergines in particular never recovered. So those are staying in till mid-May this year. Toms were fine, as were squashes in the mini-greenhouses. Plants under cloches suffered a lot worse, but I've bought an extra mini-greenhouse this time.

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2007, 20:04:43 »
I moved my tomatoes, peppers and annual flowers out to the unheated greenhouse on Monday, just kept the aubergines in the house as I think they are more fussy.My sunflowers are in a coldframe.

mc55

• Hectare
  • Bernard at the cinema ! (Sheffield, S Yorks)
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2007, 20:37:22 »
just checked my records and it snowed this time last year - its a lot warmer this season.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2007, 20:53:09 »
Try it from our side... we are propagating for the plant sale, just pricked out 40 Capsicums and 60 more tomatoes.. 36 Aubergines and so on...
Not even started the April sowings...
 8)

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2007, 21:07:36 »
I know how you feel, saddad, we're growing lots of flowers for our sale, first bank holiday in may..pricked out 100 asters last week, don't think they'll be big enough for it but we've got loads that are ready now , don't seem to have time to do ours  :)

dandelion

• Hectare
    • An Vrombaut
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2007, 21:20:03 »
I have moved my dahlias out onto the allotment. I'm in London, but the site is very open and a bit of a f frost pocket, so this is a risky strategy, but I thought I'd try it anyway. I'm expecting flowers by the end of May if it works 8).

MrsKP

• Hectare
  • Sunny Glasgow
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2007, 21:52:00 »
i had to pot up some of the more leggy toms today and had to put 5 in the g/h.      i'm sick with worry even though they've a fleece over them.

:-\

There's something happening every day  @ http://kaypeesplot.blogspot.com/ & http://kaypeeslottie.blogspot.com/

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal