Author Topic: Is there still time for sweet potatoes?  (Read 1232 times)

CityChick

• Acre
Is there still time for sweet potatoes?
« on: April 10, 2007, 21:52:24 »
I've found a couple of sweet potatoes with tiny shoots on them :D  Is there still time to pot them up (in trays?) to grow slips to plant out, or is it too late now?

allaboutliverpool

• Hectare
  • allaboutliverpool.com
    • My Allotment in Liverpool
Re: Is there still time for sweet potatoes?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2007, 21:55:57 »
I hope so because I am going to Tesco's tomorrow to get some!

http://www.allaboutliverpool.com/allaboutallotments1_homepage.html

CityChick

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2007, 22:01:41 »
Oh goodie ;D (For some reason I thought everyone else had started theirs a lot earlier!)

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2007, 22:41:55 »
Not even ordered mine yet... and I pay for them rather than play with slips...
can still be far too cold here...
 ::)

CityChick

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2007, 22:52:08 »
Well I didn't plan to grow them, but I just can't bring myself to eat them now they've started growing...   ::)

Just wasn't sure how long it would take tiny 1/4" shoots to get to the planting out and trying to grow stage...  guess I'll find out soon enough ;D

Jitterbug

• Hectare
  • Dance as if no one is watching...
    • Leighton Lottie
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2007, 10:07:51 »
Hi there

I have been battling to get slips to grow on mine.  Have second one in water (first one got mushy and had to be disposed of) and also now got two of the NZ kind in samp compost in greenhouse.  Nothing yet but I am still keeping my fingers crossed.  Maybe I could do a swop later on if no success.  Really want this to work as I absolutley adore them.

Jitterbug
If you can't be a good example -- then you'll just have to be a horrible warning....

CityChick

• Acre
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2007, 10:38:04 »
Sure Jitterbug, you can have first refusal on the spares. I've got 3 tubers (Kumara?) with several tiny shoots on each 8)  Complete accident thought, but it seems to have worked.... leaving them in the plastic bag at the back of the cupboard :-[ ;D

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2007, 11:06:20 »
My opinion, I don't know but.... I thought about doing this earlier, I did once grow slips in water but at the wrong time so I didn't try to plant them.

About three weeks ago I decided to have a go and bought some.

Looked on the net, saw the water method, and saw the peat method ,I chose the latter. I have just had a poke in the earth and the one I dug up is covered in roots about 3 inches long.

I bought a little bag at Tesco's which is all they had, tubers were small, when I looked in my fridge I found 2 large ones I had bought for the kitchen the previous week and forgotten about. I planted them all,it will be interesting to see if there is a difference.

Anyway they are coming up.

Plastic clear tub of  barely damp potting soil, tuber buried about 4 inches down on their sides, clear plastic lid on and they went in the greenhouse.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2007, 12:20:22 »

..... tuber buried about 4 inches down on their sides .....
XX Jeannine

Hi Jeannine.

I'm having a go this year and, in the unlikely event that all goes to plan, curious why you planted them on their sides even though slips come out one end and roots the other?

Barnowl

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2007, 18:21:02 »
Because I didn't have a clue which way they went and they fit the box better that way,hows that for honesty. Should I turn then round please ??? Help.

Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2007, 19:03:18 »
don't think they've got an up or down..they're swollen roots , not related to potatoes so it doesn't matter which way up you put them  :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal