Author Topic: are waiting lists that bad now? (Guardian today)  (Read 12110 times)

John_Pearce

• Not So New ...
  • Grow, grow, grow
Re: are waiting lists that bad now? (Guardian today)
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2007, 17:40:11 »
Just had a note from my local council... One site in SW London has 6 (six) plots on it but has 173 people on the waiting list  ??? .  Is this the only allotment site with a working goldmine on it or something?

Zippy Seale

• Half Acre
  • Laughing all the way to the plot
    • The Cherry Tree Plot
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2007, 17:58:15 »
Our allotment had 40 % unused, and we encouraged the council to clear the plots a bit,  now there is a waiting list of 10, so from the worse to one of the best in the city in 3 months.  They also announced that they are opening up plots that was contaminated with lead.  took 4 yrs to clean the ground but i suppose demand has mad it worth while.

Out of the new tennents that have spent a lot of money on sheds, little chocken wire fencing, etc,  I wonder how many will be there in 3 yrs.  that is going to be interesting.
Mind you I am renting out the dvd of the whole series 'the allotment'  to tehm at a fiver a week...lol
not bad return on a xmas prezzie...:D
goes towards the rent of my plots
hee hee hee
they say it wouldn't grow.....ha

The Cherry Tree Plot

Art of Sowing

djbrenton

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2007, 23:31:31 »
I don't know if it varies around the country but the lease on our allotments doesn't mention having to live in the council area. Odd when the council give discounts (OAP, UB40  etc) that you aren't required to live within the boundary.

coznbob

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2007, 14:44:00 »
Posted previously that allotment was half empty, there has been a massive surve and now nearly full!

Guess it is getting fashionable now, at least there will be less weeds!
Smile at your enemies.

It makes them wonder what you are up to.

Trixiebelle

• Hectare
  • You looking at me? Huh?
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2007, 16:40:46 »
Weeds ARE yobs Cozn  ;D
The Devil Invented Dandelions!

Trixiebelle

• Hectare
  • You looking at me? Huh?
« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2007, 17:06:00 »
Actually, I think I might have a bit of a rant about this subject (waiting lists ... not weeds  ;) )

Having been the secretary of our Association for nearly 2 years and responsible for renting them out and compiling waiting lists etc. I was extremely disheartened toward the end and decided to give it up.

I experienced the 'Allotments are the New Black' brigade (harsh label I know!) that consisted of young couples and teams of 'chums' thinking it would be a great idea to take on an allotment because they'd seen it on TV etc. And to be fair, some of them had seen the advertising I'd put up in local shops etc.

I soon built up a 'waiting list' and got nearly 100% occupancy (which was good for the accounts) but I saw so many people wasting the allotment space available because they didn't have the knowledge or the time to do any work at all on them.

(Many applicants saw the allotments as 'somewhere to go in summer' because gardens are a bit sparse in this area - mostly back yards. All very well and good, I had no objection to people 'using' the allotments for recreation/pleasure but one of the 'rules' is about cultivation, and I VERY strict about this)

Then began the lengthy process of cultivation notices and the inevitable 'row' about giving up their plot because they'd paid the rent for a whole year etc.

The sad thing was, some people on the waiting list were genuinely knowledgeable about the task ahead of them and willing to cultivate at least PART of their land, but because of the 'trendy' aspect and the fairness of the 'next on the waiting list' system, some plots just got worse and worse weed-wise and were less likely to be let out.

I got very fed up about the whole thing.

I suppose I sound very 'purist' about this issue, but it genuinely upset me to see potential gowing space going to waste. And in addition, non-cultivation just gives councils more leverage to sell the land off to property developers.

It's also hard to tell who is going to make a go of an allotment and who isn't, despite asking subtle questions like "Have you got any experience at all about gardening" or "Have you anyone who could help you clear the plot?" etc. The Secretary who was in charge when I took over my 1st plot 4 yrs ago admitted to me that when he saw me (a woman, 5 month old baby in tow and a 600sq lottie overgrown and derelict) he thought I wouldn't last 5 minutes.

4 yrs and 3 (clean and productive) allotments on, he has to admit he was wrong  ::)

Obviously the movement towards people being made aware of/taking on allotments can only be a good thing and I wouldn't deny anyone the chance. But the waiting list issue is a tricky fish.

The Devil Invented Dandelions!

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2007, 19:38:03 »
Then began the lengthy process of cultivation notices and the inevitable 'row' about giving up their plot because they'd paid the rent for a whole year etc.

It's also hard to tell who is going to make a go of an allotment and who isn't,

Obviously the movement towards people being made aware of/taking on allotments can only be a good thing and I wouldn't deny anyone the chance. But the waiting list issue is a tricky fish.
On our site - you sign for a 3 month probationary period prior to an annual one. If no effort is seen to be made on the plot as for its itended use during this period - they dont get the tennancy and we move on to the next on the list. Seems to work well.
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

coznbob

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2007, 20:00:28 »
Trouble is that it is very hard to decide who will make a go of it and who won't. We too could be classed as trying to be trendy ( right age bracket and all that), but as my aching back testifies, we have been giving it a good go.

Glad we signed up last year though as don't think we would have got 2 plots this year, think they were just pleased to get the money!

Not sure if our site even has a comittee!
Smile at your enemies.

It makes them wonder what you are up to.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2007, 20:36:37 »
It makes me so sad to read this topic, there is a huga allotment at the top of my road and dsepit the council offering free rent for a year and building trendy storage facilities it still is empty apart from about 4 owners.

5 Minutes drive away which is where we are it is well maintained and completely full.

When we looked for a lottie 6 years ago we got one the same day, and was advised to go for the site we are on. There was lots of choice. 3 years ago requested a second and found there was a waiting list, we were number 7. The same summer the old chap next to us fell ill  shortly after planting  to help him primarily we tended his lottie  and gardened it for him so he could get his harvest , meanwhile we moved up the list, when we were at the top he handed in his notice and we were offered it same day and we paid him for the greenhouse and shed. We still take him veggies.

I am sad because we happened to be lucky both times, but the derelict one is just sitting there. I think folks are nervous to take it because it has few tenants,  real shame as it is the only open land in a  jungle of new homes and it won't be long before  I fear  the council sell it.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

machman5

• Half Acre
  • South Essex
« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2007, 21:04:30 »
I know I am repeating myself (I said this all on a link last year) but, just a warning to people on council waiting lists for plots. :-\

I was on one for 2 years or so and finally got so fed up waiting, I rang the council to ask where I was on the list.  Surprise surprise, I was next!   

This was in July and, according to the lovely lady on the phone, I should hear about one in the next week or so.   :D
Three weeks later, I rang them back.  This time I was told "What a shame you didn't ring earlier, I have just given one to somebody else"!  >:(
WHY! I was next on the list! 

The young man didn't have a clue why I was annoyed but said I could have it if she refused it.  Lo and behold, I got a call an hour later to say I could have it after all. ::)

We have since taken control from the council and let the plots out ourself on a Self-Management scheme.  The 'old blokes' (commitee ;)) are much more efficient at letting the plots and claw back any space they can from people who can't cope (usually only for a year until they catch up).  This means there are often 1/2 or 1/4 plots available for one of two seasons while you wait for your own plot. 

So, ranting over with, I would say to any one on a list, nag the council to death!  That way, you won't get overlooked and who knows, the 'someone else' who almost got my plot might have got the offer by nagging? :o

Good luck Pigeonseed
Donna.
I smile because I have no idea whats going on!!

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #30 on: April 24, 2007, 12:59:54 »
I know it's annoying but lots of people who waste their allotments have good intentions but little time. Allotments don't fit well with the rest of their lives. 

should we say 'that's their problem' and chuck them off? Maybe we should - I feel like that sometimes, seeing as I work full time, have a small baby to look after, but i make time for the allotment.

But the allotment movement is something bigger than just a hobby - if some people don't like collecting stamps or listening to r&b who cares? Allotments are more important than that. Theyre about escaping from consumerism, being active, achieving something from your own work and creativity instead of existing through shopping.

Is there any creative way that allotment gardening can be more accessible? Or is it just unavoidable that lots of people won't manage it?

budgester

• Not So New ...
    • Budgester.homeip.net
« Reply #31 on: April 24, 2007, 13:18:44 »
If it wasn't for the lazyness of my council I would have probably been thrown of my plot, got allocated it in Sept 2005, 1 month later father in law fell I'll and we werent able to do anything until July 2006, by which point it seems best to wait till the next spring, now this year my 10 pole is about 3/4s cleared and planted. And I truly have got the allotment bug.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #32 on: April 24, 2007, 13:43:42 »
glad you're back in the swing of it, budgester, welcome to the site  :)

LesH

• Half Acre
« Reply #33 on: April 24, 2007, 14:28:14 »
   There are 4.000 people on the waiting lists in London alone. Three London councils don't have any allotments at all. There are 35.000 people on the waiting lists country wide.

wolflike

• Not So New ...
  • My cat hiding
    • Wolflike
« Reply #34 on: April 24, 2007, 21:12:57 »
I know there are waiting lists in my area but have not tried to get a lottie due to the lack of time I have at the moment.

All my veg is grown in my back garden. I have a 30ft by 20ft garden which I have split with screening so that I can still use it for garden type things. I can go and look after my veg when I can and my partner (although she doesn't enjoy it) can water/weed/tend it when I am not able.

If I had more time on my hands I would love to take up a lottie but don't think it is right as I would not be able to tend it correctly.

My father runs an allotment society in Hunstanton and is always on it(mum was always complaining, now she joins him) he is always getting requests for allotments but has to turn them down.

There is bound to be a new influx of people trying to get lotties after watching THE BIG DIG on uktv gardens!!
 ;)
The best thing about growing your own is knowing that somebody didn't get chain ganged into picking it!

Blogging away at www.wolflike.co.uk

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #35 on: April 24, 2007, 23:21:17 »
Sunnydale, your nearest lotties, council off seven fields has about 60% vacant plots, if you get the bug I can give you the site secs number or you can come on our list... about 6 when I last looked!

clondalkingardener

• Not So New ...
« Reply #36 on: April 28, 2007, 13:43:25 »
There is a waiting list for our site too it has grown in the past year. London is the exception to the rule that the council has to have allotments due to lack of land in London. In Dublin you have to live in the council area where the allotments are to apply for one. There are exceptions though if you had a plot on the site they closed down last year you got one of the new ones before the rest were allocated.

bupster

• Hectare
    • Plot Holes
« Reply #37 on: April 29, 2007, 23:05:34 »
When I first looked for an allotment in Cambridge there was a three and a half year waiting list for council sites, but the allotment society sites all had vacancies. That was two years ago - my site now has an eight person waiting list. Which is as annoying as all hell, as now I want a second plot....
For myself I am an optimist - it does not seem to be much use being anything else.

http://www.plotholes.blogspot.com

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #38 on: April 29, 2007, 23:27:57 »
When I first looked for an allotment in Cambridge there was a three and a half year waiting list for council sites, but the allotment society sites all had vacancies. That was two years ago - my site now has an eight person waiting list. Which is as annoying as all hell, as now I want a second plot....

Put your OH on the waiting list..... unless its one per household. I would if I had more time to manage 2.
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

JimmyJames

• Half Acre
  • Portsmouth, Hants
« Reply #39 on: May 03, 2007, 15:46:04 »
I have been having quite a frustrating time with waiting lists too.

To my knowledge I have been on the list for about two years,  but last time I called the council I was told I had only been on the list since January 2006. 
I have called them a number of times to chivvy them along (assuming chivvy is a word...) and have had mixed messages.
In the Spring of 2006 I was told that I was 5th on the list, but when I last called in March 2007, I was told I was 15th on the list!
I have been assured that the council have 'formalised' the way they handle renting and evicting from plots, and that I will hear from them when one is available.  I was also assured that there is no way you can go down the list, so I have to accept that I just received duff info in the past.

They said they send out letters in April asking people to re-pay the rent, and mentioned something about handling inactive plots also.  I was told to wait until the end of May and maybe call them again.

There are 3 sites down a road near my flat which have a shared list that I am on,  but frustratingly in the north of the city there is a much larger site which (at the time of my application) had vacancies.
I decided to go on the list for the sites near me.  I want the plot to be somewhere I can walk or ride my bike to, and somewhere I can pop to after work.  If I had to face a 10 minute drive along busy roads to get there, I really dont think I would appreciate the whole allotment experience half as much. (plus I wouldnt be able to drink beer - or Gardening Fuel as my Dad used to call it!)

I signed up for this site to get tips etc, and to share my experiences, but at the moment it serves to frustrate me!! Especially as Spring is well and truly upon us.  I see it as another year that I wont be getting my fork dirty.

At least I have my south facing windows full of spring growth!

One other point I should make - Whilst reading this thread I noticed from a few of the posts a certian cynicism about people getting plots because they are suddenly 'fashoinable'.  Bear in mind that a lot of people who are getting plots now have been on the list for a long time - certainly since before the days that Simon Mayo first graced our screens with his nice jolly face!
Being a young(ish) guy, I would hate to think that when I do finally get a plot I will have to work as hard at proving my dedication and worth, as I may have to at preparing the soil!
Just a comment - and not a dig (hehe) at anyone in particular.

If theres anyone from the Locksway Road sites in Portsmouth, I would appreciate a plot holders view on the state of affairs.

Bye for now,
Hope to get to know you prorpely when I have hundreds of stupid questions to ask you all!
http://www.hatchingaplot.blogspot.com/   (seemed like a good idea,  but sadly not updated for many moons!)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal