Author Topic: Easter weekend - what are you doing?  (Read 3833 times)

timelady

• Half Acre
    • Artwork of Tina Mammoser
Re: Easter weekend - what are you doing?
« Reply #40 on: April 08, 2007, 09:28:38 »
Oh Busby, but what if your allotment is your fun and relaxing? (in a twisted sort of way) :) It's one of the few times I get to escape from work, since I work at home - by forcing myself to go out into the fresh air and dig. And what I do there hardly qualifies as 'work'. ;)

Well, my plan was scuppered anyway. I was planning allotment from 6-8 yesterday (had to paint all day, two commissions to finish) but forgot about Doctor Who, so had to stay in! A friend called me last night to ask if I wanted to do mountain biking today, whooohooo! Her kids are at their father's so she's on her own and we might have some trails to ourselves I think. So I'll dig a bit tomorrow instead.

Tina.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #41 on: April 08, 2007, 09:30:20 »
At least I get spared the singing! I had a call from one of the other stewards yesterday, our scheduled preacher is ill, and could I take the service. That's three extras I've had to take on in two months.

emmy1978

• Hectare
  • It's good to be in my gardening shoes again!
« Reply #42 on: April 08, 2007, 12:19:38 »
bit late, but happily have had fab easter break. OH was off from fri and will be till mon, so helps with the girls. My dad took the kids to Monkey World on Thurs so spent most the day at lottie. Planted spuds, carrits, onions, sowed rockit, early purple sproinkin ( as 5 year old calls it) and cleared out shed....spiders as big as my hand, OH more scared than me though, big wuss.
Easter egg hunt at my friends yesterday for kids so got to poke around her garden, accumulating seeds and promises of cuttings in return for the sweetcorns i gave her, drinking tea and gassing. Lovely. OH has taken girls to sandy park on clifftop so i get to prep lunch (done) and pootle about. Busy doing nothing, and i hope all of you who have the time off are busy with same and all of you who have to work get to chill out this week instead!!  8)
Don't throw paper away. There is no away.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #43 on: April 08, 2007, 13:18:36 »
I remember in Scotland that inns  were only allowed to sell to travellers, so everyone went to the next village for a pint.

I remember it well!!

As you rightly put it there was a license for travellers but not locals.

The ruling was; You had to have travelled at least three miles from home, you were supposed to be travelling further afield i.e. on leaving the Hotel/Inn ( pubs didn't have a license) you were supposed to be continuing your journey not travelling home.

Plus you had to sign the visitors book with your name where you were from and to where you were travelling to.

Typical names in the book were; Mickey Mouse from X travelling to Hollywood.

So as you see it was of stupid rules that were rarely policed (a bit like some of the laws in place today ::) )

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #44 on: April 08, 2007, 13:46:16 »
Got back from holiday yesterday so am spending most of today doing washing (so much for not working!) but have managed to get out in the garden, and not just to peg out the clothes! My new compost bin finally arrived while we were away so transferred stuff from old bin to new and found quite a lot of decent compost at the bottom. Am avoiding going to the allotment until I'm feeling less tired as, judging by how much growth my garden plants have put on this week, it will be knee high in weeds and grass! Nicest sight when we got back was my amelanchier flowering for the first time- lovely!(sorry, not an edile plant!)

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #45 on: April 08, 2007, 21:47:01 »
 Tee Gee I seem to remember you had to order food as well, crisps sold well on Sundays XX
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

allaboutliverpool

• Hectare
  • allaboutliverpool.com
    • My Allotment in Liverpool
« Reply #46 on: April 09, 2007, 22:26:06 »
What a variety of replies!

I am upset that the weather forcast was wrong. Admittedly there was no rain but it has been so cold that my plans for a gardening wekend were ruined. However you all be relieved to know that last week in Nice, until we returned on Friday evening, the weather was exactly the same and sweaters were the order of the day.

At least I coulkd start a blog!

http://allaboutliverpool.com/blog.html

http://www.allaboutliverpool.com/allaboutallotments1_homepage.html

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #47 on: April 10, 2007, 00:19:52 »
Just got back from a long weekend away in the caravan so no gardening has been done at all. Hoping to get some done later this week but time is short. Never enough hours in the day.
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal