Author Topic: Okra - off to a flying start....  (Read 9791 times)

daisymay

• Hectare
  • Bedfordshire
Okra - off to a flying start....
« on: February 27, 2007, 14:50:37 »
Hi,

many moons ago a group of us talked about growing okra this year. Has every one else started yet too, or am I ridiculously keen as usual?

Packet said Jan - March for sowing, with a germination time of 7 - 14 days. I planted 6 seeds and all 6 germinated in 6 days!  :)

I put them all in one big pot with a shower cap over to act as a propogator and put them on a sunny window ledge.

Wish I could say the same for the peppers I planted at the same time, not a sign of life as yet.  ???

Garjan

• Acre
Re: Okra - off to a flying start....
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2007, 15:20:41 »
Hi Daisymay

My okra germinated also very quickly: 16 out of 16 in a week!
I put them in a transparant plastic container with a lid (it came with grapes in it), kept it humid and on a window sill. They are now two weeks old and about 5 cm tall.
Next week I will put them in separate pots. Hopefully they will not be too leggy before planting them out in May (perhaps sooner with this ridiculously warm winter).

Germination of my sweet peppers is as slow as the okra was quick. Sowed them on the same day, and got now six small seedlings. Out of 4 x 14 seeds. Put some extra in.
My chillis however are doing great: 4 seedlings out of 4 seeds in two weeks! Same day, same place, same protection, same medium. ???

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2007, 20:48:22 »
I have sown some-`Pure Luck` from Suffolk Herbs and an unknown variety kindly sent by a member here.

I`m hanging back for bets on who gets a decent crop

Biscombe

• Hectare
  • Spanish Gardening In Orgiva
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2007, 21:03:28 »
I planted a few back in January, all doing well!

Okra Mammoth
Okra Cow Horn
Okra Clemson Spinless
Okra Silver Queen

dtw

• Hectare
  • What grows, You decide!
    • Classic & Cheesy TV adverts and other funny stuff
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2007, 22:24:32 »
I didn't know there were loads of varieties.

I haven't got around to sowing many seeds yet.

But I am going to grow Okra, I love them.  :D

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2007, 20:50:49 »
I have just plated one called Bowling Red, I have never had to grow it before,always had a friend that supplid me so know nothing at all about it except this ones grows as tall as runner beans I believe(not sure) Help would be appreciated XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Biscombe

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2007, 21:16:50 »
WOW!! As tall as runner beans! If you fancy swapping some seeds Jeannine let me know!! I´m an okra fan, my OH loves them but I´m not overly keen, but the plants are stunnng! Sown the above but the only one I grew last year was mammoth, great plant, took ages to get going, but when it did the flowers were beautiful and the harvest was great!! So instead of one variety it´s 4 this year!!!!

Biscombe

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2007, 21:19:29 »
Good luck Daisymay, You planted them earlier enough, they need a long growing season but I´m sure you´ll be ok, just you wait till they start flowering!!

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2007, 21:32:13 »
Hi Biscombe you are welcome to a few seeds, I did say I am not sure about the height thing so if you want to tap the name on the web and have a read first if they are what you want I will get them to you...but please will you explain to me how the dickens to grow them once they sprout. XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2007, 21:38:16 »
Sorry, I got the seeds from RARESEEDS.com ) Baker creek) they say,7-8' tall,deep red stems,great tasting pods,tender long and thin. XX Jeannine

Biscombe

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2007, 07:34:23 »
Sounds great! out of the varieties I´m growing none of them are red. What would you like in return? Is there anything you are short of?

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2007, 21:10:05 »
No, I will grab you later if you mention anything I feel I cant live without is that OK XX Jeannine

Biscombe

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2007, 21:16:31 »
Wondeful Jeannine! But please don´t forget I owe you a return swap!
PS anyone out there want some of my save okra mammoth? Got loads and would like to share..........

daisymay

• Hectare
  • Bedfordshire
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2007, 09:08:14 »
So looks like the race is on then. I thought I was being keen, but some of you are way ahead of me!

can't wait for the flowers now - I had no idea they were going to be so spectacular.

Ours are Clemson Spineless too

(no news on the peppers - no sign of life at all!)

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2007, 11:18:51 »
I`ll cook a gumbo for anyone who gets a decent crop :)-and I can cook a bit-(terms and conditions apply,subject to status)

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2007, 11:46:47 »
Can Okra be transplanted outdoors once frost has passed or does it need to be in a greenhouse?  I would be interested to hear where you have all grown yours.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2007, 11:48:59 »
Checked this am in the airing cupboard and my okra is just breaking the surface,and only planted last Sunday.1st, Lesson I have learned, Hard to germinate...NOT.

? Do I grow 2 plants  like I might with  a pepper or 20 like  I would  with a runner bean, how many okra does one plant give???? Help

XX Jeannine

Biscombe

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2007, 12:19:08 »
I had 5 plants last year and couldn´t pick em fast enough, over a long period too!! My advice is pick em very young!

Garjan

• Acre
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2007, 13:01:37 »
Hi Biscombe
Did you grow them in a greenhouse?
I grew mine outdoors without protection. An despite the heatwave, my 5 plants produced about 8 fruits. ???
Where did I go wrong?

Biscombe

• Hectare
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2007, 13:04:28 »
Living in Spain has advantages!! started them very early :) I would be tempted to stick em in the greenhouse, then plant em out mid summer
« Last Edit: March 02, 2007, 13:05:59 by Biscombe »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal