Author Topic: Okra - off to a flying start....  (Read 9794 times)

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
Re: Okra - off to a flying start....
« Reply #40 on: May 15, 2007, 18:14:22 »
mc55-it can be done-the flowers are to die for and I have even had the odd few okra-but not this year.-Was it Sisyphus who shoved a stone up a hill only to have it roll down again?

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #41 on: May 15, 2007, 19:07:45 »
Cleo I haven't forgot the offer you made if anyone managed to grow it..cooked by you personally I believe XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

cleo

• Hectare
« Reply #42 on: May 15, 2007, 20:28:58 »
Jeaninne-a Gentleman is only as good as his word-you grow a decent crop and my kitchen and the resident cheff are yours.

Must go now as I only came up to shut down while Jen finishes the stew I turned neck of lamb into something special ;D

daxzen

• Half Acre
  • this is isaac he is my allotment troll
« Reply #43 on: May 16, 2007, 17:19:13 »
i'd love to grow okra

any ideas wher i can get some seed

lin

• Half Acre
« Reply #44 on: May 17, 2007, 01:11:36 »
This is so interesting, my friend Arthur gave me a packet of okra today and said "try these"... I have only ever eaten them in curries but will give anything a try. Anyway, got back in the house and noticed the expiry date on the seeds was 1998!! Have planted some in pots but not holding out much hope, will nurse them tenderly and see what happens.

Arthur has a big cardboard box with seeds going back years... every now and then he takes something new out, and it grows... well, some of them do... he still has some seed mix he used for fishing 30 years ago... I told him there's no chance they will grow... but I reckon he is going to try some in a pot... or is that pot in a pot... on the packet is says "hemp mix"! Oooer missus! Mind you, he is 88, so if he gets it to grow, think he will get away with it!
Lin

daisymay

• Hectare
  • Bedfordshire
« Reply #45 on: May 17, 2007, 09:57:20 »
I got 5 to a reasonable size.... decided to risk 3 in the greenhouse, they are still going but are sulking and not really doing much, starting to look a bit sorry this week as the weather has changed.

Update.... the 3 in the greenhouse went to the big compost bin in the sky yesterday! 2 inside are doing OK still... slow but still alive, might even have what could be a flower coming??!!

cleo

• Hectare
« Reply #46 on: May 17, 2007, 11:43:18 »
That`s brilliant ;D-the flowers really are something to see.

Lin-hemp seed was/is? a classic fishing bait so I think Arthur  might get away with it ;). It could be worse-I seldom go fishing now but a couple of years back I got my stuff out again only to find a piece of blue cheese that had been around for longer than is reasonable

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #47 on: May 17, 2007, 16:10:22 »
Don't give up on the old seeds, I do know Okra should to be fresh seed  like parsnips but most seeds will germinate ok if fairly old, I germinated some 1988 squash this year andwas amazed that \i got more than 50%. XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

daisymay

• Hectare
  • Bedfordshire
« Reply #48 on: June 18, 2007, 15:08:03 »
Don't dust off your best curry recipe just yet Cleo...... but my 2 plants are still growing.. one of them is even trying to grow a new leaf!

They are now in the greenhouse. I potted them on a few weeks ago and their roots were pretty unimpressive but they are hanging on in there....

How is everyone else doing?

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #49 on: June 18, 2007, 15:20:38 »
Hey Daisy, well done you.I am still there with you darlin' .

Mine have picked up again, don't get me wrong they are not real big but they have a funny little thingy on them. It looks like a tiny pointed pepper about 3/4inch long, Can't be an Okra they are too small and we haven't seen a flower but it is there, and they are awake again.It might just be a leaf.

I still have the six so apart from the two that I broke I haven't actually lost one since I sowed them. Oh don't be boasting now, you will feel even dafter when they pop off.

The back up lot  planted weeks later have three leaves now , I am not holding my breath but they aint croaked yet.

Cleo, you have 2 very determined  folks here.

Of course we could both feel very embarrassed any day now and Cleo will be putting his pan away.

Come on,where is everyone else!!!!!

XX Jeannine

sally_cinnamon

• Acre
  • "A posse ad esse" - From possibility to actuality
    • Got a new website - still not finished!!
« Reply #50 on: June 18, 2007, 16:50:09 »
I've also got three (very) little okra plants and the leaves have turned white!  Anyone else experienced this?
 :)
Thank you to all who donated to the Moonlight Half Marathon Walk in aid of St Catherine's Hospice - my mum and I raised just over £300!!!    ............     Thanks!  :-)

daisymay

• Hectare
  • Bedfordshire
« Reply #51 on: June 18, 2007, 16:52:54 »
they are not real big but they have a funny little thingy on them. It looks like a tiny pointed pepper about 3/4inch long,

Yep.. got that too was not sure how to explain it.. has been there for about 2 months now!

Sally - sorry to bear bad news but a couple of mine turned white before they went to the big compost bin in the sky..

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #52 on: June 18, 2007, 17:19:15 »
Oh Sally it's like being in a ruddy obstacle race, silly things!!

Don't chuck em though maybe it is the way they go, mine looked a bit pale at one point but not white.

Can you bring them inside and warm them up a bit.

Hang in there.

Daisy, I hope someone can tell us what thsi thingy is.

XX Jeannine

markfield rover

• Hectare
« Reply #53 on: June 18, 2007, 18:38:29 »
My 3 are only 8 inches tall, do not look too dead each has one of those bud things so all in all
I think Cleo can sleep easy. Okra a la sauce moneymaker will have to wait.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #54 on: June 18, 2007, 18:52:37 »
Oh come on now, they aint dead,they may have spurt and grow overnight,lets stay positive here gals, we have  a challenge from Cleo, no dissention in the ranks.

Are there only 4 of us left!!!

and no pearls of wisdom from Cleo re these updates yet.

By the way Cleo, I owe you some tomato seeds, you left Barnsdale before I had a chance to get a real chat.

XX Jeannine

Garjan

• Acre
« Reply #55 on: June 18, 2007, 20:00:20 »
Yes Jeannine, there are only four of you left. :'(
Last week I discovered that the slugs (I think) have found my okra. They were not doing well and the slugs just gave them their mercy nibble.
It's too late to pop in some new seeds, ísn't it?

The four of you keep up the good work and enjoy the flowers.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #56 on: June 18, 2007, 20:18:30 »
I really don't know if it too late, I would think so, I got so fed up when I thought my first lot had had it I sowed what was left of the packet ,now I have another big batch,there was only 1 didn't germinate in a full propgating tray ,I will post you some if you think they may make it. let me know, can't hurt, well not us anyway LOL

flossie

• Hectare
  • Lincoln
« Reply #57 on: June 18, 2007, 21:36:38 »
I have just found this thread and am willing to contribute any okra that my one little plant might produce to the Cleo kitchen challenge.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #58 on: June 18, 2007, 22:26:08 »
Well I am down to 3 plants.  Why do they just stop dead?  My aubergines are looking better this year than ever before.....my chillis and peppers have been in flower for weeks and my melons  ::) are growing strongly.  So why, oh why, are okra so hard to grow? 

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #59 on: June 18, 2007, 22:35:51 »
Well we are 5 again. Emma they love heat, real heat , but we are soldiering on here,I have some back ups for you all if they start to pop off. XX Jeannine

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal