Author Topic: Okra - off to a flying start....  (Read 9795 times)

Garjan

• Acre
Re: Okra - off to a flying start....
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2007, 13:15:15 »
Now I know what I'm doing wrong!

But the heatwave in the Netherlands made the temperatures rise to an average of 37C, just a little lower during the nights. Spain will have comparable temperatures.
Is the difference in the number of really warm days during the growing period?

Biscombe

• Hectare
  • Spanish Gardening In Orgiva
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2007, 18:53:23 »
Here a pic of my okra (peppers at the back) enjoying some time outside the greenhouse!!

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2007, 19:18:28 »
I demand a level playing field  ;D  Who ever can grow okra well in the UK wins me to cook them(terms and conditions apply)

mikey

• Acre
  • Head Gardener
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2007, 20:48:51 »
Hi all,

just been on web to research 'Okra' found Plants of Distinction at

http://www.podseeds.co.uk/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_Okra_253.html

Red Burgundy @ £1.50 for 100 seeds
and
Star of David @ £1.45 for 100 seeds

my question for you guys .... how do you cook Okra and what does it taste like

thanks

Mikey
North Willingham, Lincolnshire (20 miles North East of Lincoln)  HASL: 55m

Biscombe

• Hectare
« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2007, 21:12:12 »
In curry It´s delicious!! when you pick it young you can eat it raw on salads

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2007, 22:46:54 »
Well I sure can't cope with Spain but I will have a ruddy good go at growing a few. Do I prune etc,is the warmth needed about the same as peppers,I truly have not got a clue XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Biscombe

• Hectare
« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2007, 07:14:59 »
Yep! they okra like to be warm, they dont need pruning, the leaves are sparse really...........

daisymay

• Hectare
  • Bedfordshire
« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2007, 10:53:00 »
think I spoke too soon. Mine have their first leaves and were looking good, but have started to go a bit yellow and sickly looking. No sign of second leaves. I had removed the lid of the propogator (well, actually the shower cap, but that sounded better!) was I too keen?

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2007, 10:57:06 »
Keep on asking questions , I am sharing your answers,I am a week behind you and learning as they grow on this one. Good Luck XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Biscombe

• Hectare
« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2007, 12:43:07 »
This is my second year of growing okra and have found that sometimes the first leaves can look a bit sorry for themselves! hang in there Daisy!

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2007, 12:56:51 »
What does it taste like? You're joking? More a mouth feel?

Sophie Grigson has an anti-slime method.

But yes - in curries is where they belong. Or, of course, for them over there, Succotash or Gumbo?

cleo

• Hectare
« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2007, 13:36:17 »
What does it taste like? You're joking? More a mouth feel?

Sophie Grigson has an anti-slime method.

Tim -what would be an oyster without it`s `slime`? I think okra is one of those things one cannot be neutral about-shame I can neither get decent ones here nor grow them properly

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #32 on: March 04, 2007, 15:35:14 »
These things are growing like weeds,I will have to pot them on in a much quicker than I anticipated,is this normal? XX Jeannine

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #33 on: April 29, 2007, 22:08:48 »
So come on then, progress report.  Here are mine before potting on today.  Star of David is the variety.  I shall be keeping them in the greenhouse.  Fourteen plants in all.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #34 on: April 29, 2007, 22:26:44 »
Well mine were  a couple of leaves further on than yours then they stopped, about a month ago just stopped , nothing during April, no growth at all, today I noticed they seemed to have started again. Mine are red and the type that grow 8 feet so I am not holding my breath here, but  they seem to be moving again . Yours look very  healthy. I am told that they do suddenly stop and often just croak so it will be interesting to see how we all get on. Growing from seed  is a first for me thoughXX Jeannine

cleo

• Hectare
« Reply #35 on: April 30, 2007, 11:51:57 »
For those old enough to remember Captain Pugwash---"Tom the cabin boy smiled and said nothing"

cleo

• Hectare
« Reply #36 on: May 15, 2007, 15:40:35 »
Looks like I am bowing out for this year-three got to about 6inches before pegging out and the fourth is very sulky :(

daisymay

• Hectare
  • Bedfordshire
« Reply #37 on: May 15, 2007, 16:17:25 »
I got 5 to a reasonable size.... decided to risk 3 in the greenhouse, they are still going but are sulking and not really doing much, starting to look a bit sorry this week as the weather has changed.

The 2 still inside are probably about 2 sets of leaves on from EJ's... but have not done anything now for about a month either..... not sure what I am meant to do? Should I perhaps feed them or something radical like that??

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #38 on: May 15, 2007, 17:32:54 »
Well I had eight, I have now got six,but they didn't die, I snapped the stems when transplanting them. They look very healthy but seem to have stopped again,they are about 10 inches tall. They are in my melon house  in grow bags, potted on finally on Sunday. Watch this space!!! I guess it is about now that they croak. XX Jeannine

mc55

• Hectare
  • Bernard at the cinema ! (Sheffield, S Yorks)
« Reply #39 on: May 15, 2007, 17:39:30 »
now I was starting to regret not joining in, then I read this

Looks like I am bowing out for this year-three got to about 6inches before pegging out and the fourth is very sulky :(

and I have a nice big smile on my face again, knowing it's a HOPELESS cause !!!!  Do adore them though.  If anyone manages to get them to flower please post a picture - mine was in bud for months and then suddenly no flower  ::)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal