Author Topic: Guilt...  (Read 3664 times)

timelady

• Half Acre
    • Artwork of Tina Mammoser
Guilt...
« on: January 26, 2007, 20:36:44 »
Well, I've been feeling really guilty about neglecting my plot since around New Year! :( But now that it's light a bit later I can resume a schedule - it's much easier for me to hop over at 3pm and work for an hour than to try and do an hour in the mornings.

Today a friend drove me over with skip-acquired goodies: 10 paving slabs (for my shed base), about 20 concrete roof tiles (to make paths), 2 bags o' free building sand (shed again), and 3 big ceramic bird baths to put on the ground for birds, frogs, whatever. :) My plastic tarps were all over the place from the winds a couple weeks ago yet my completely exposed tools were all still there, looking shiny. (or somewhat shiny ;))

So all is still well. My garlic is growing like mad though, only put in on xmas eve. I don't know if it's supposed to be or not so won't worry I guess. Has anyone else neglected their patch at least as long? Please make me feel better. ;D

Tina.

dandelion

• Hectare
    • An Vrombaut
Re: Guilt...
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2007, 21:05:29 »
Tina, I think everyone's plot looks a bit of a mess at this time of the year! I'm sure yours will look fantastic in a few months time  :D!
« Last Edit: January 26, 2007, 21:36:21 by dandelion »

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2007, 21:26:27 »
Tina I hope you take things easy. You have  been (still going?) through a rough patch.(no pun intended!!) Do hope you are feeling better.
Lorna

timelady

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2007, 09:13:47 »
Yeah, things are going better at least, thanks. Just gotta drag myself though the remainder of January I think! Some daylight at long last seems to be helping. :) I hadn't had a hit of depression in many many years but at least I saw it for what it was.

Well, next week hopefully I can start hacking a path through the bramble to the top of my patch so I have somewhere to put the shed. Nice thing is the friend who helped me yesterday is the one who first went to see the allotment when I was considering it, so she's the one who can really see how much has been done. :)

Tina.

dandelion

• Hectare
    • An Vrombaut
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2007, 09:44:25 »
I hope today's sunny weather cheers you up Tina!

All the best
dandelion

flossie

• Hectare
  • Lincoln
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2007, 10:35:25 »
Hi Tina

Thinking of you as it is grey again this morning.  We need more sun 8)

Mine poor plot gets really neglected at this time of year too.  Only managed to get one bulb of garlic in and that was last w/e.  Still loads of clearing/ digging to do.

Would be great to see some pictures when you get all your skip goodies in place

Blue Bird

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2007, 11:03:11 »
Hi Tina
think we are all in the same boat what with the weather and every thing - hoping to get down later today once the sun comes out
sure you will be fine and once you have got your shed sorted well hey there will be no stopping you!!

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2007, 12:00:35 »
Lovely sunny day here Tina hope you get on top of things don't go mad thou. ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

timelady

• Half Acre
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2007, 14:36:06 »
Turned out to be a nice day here too, so I'm painting away!

Hoping to build the shed quite soon so I have somewhere dry to have tea, and I'm setting up my french easel there permanently so I can draw and paint beans and garlic (which is all I'm growing so far!). But just try organising a shed-building with a group of various artists for when they all have the same day free. Some days it would be nice to know a bunch of accountants or something who work 9-5 Monday to Friday. ;) We might burn down some of the bramble too, if we ever manage to get ourselves sorted. A neighbour a few plots over actually has 3 full plots and has cleared it all remarkably quickly on his own by burning it (controlled, in small bits of course). Quite impressive.

Well, gotta go put some purple on a canvas...
Tina.

bennettsleg

• Hectare
  • hertford, herts. 2 windowsills, no greenhouse
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2007, 17:27:48 »
Shouldn't worry about the guilt;  I left mine for 6 weeks over xmas/new year and this is the 2nd weekend back on the plot.  May have to be it for a while as my back's just gone again! :-\

louise stella

• Hectare
  • We're half way there Mum!!!!!
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2007, 19:14:09 »
I think it'll help when we can actually plant something!!!  Once we see something growing it will feel that we have winter on the run!

Louise
Grow yer bugger grow!

LauraB

• Half Acre
  • West Bromwich
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2007, 19:43:19 »
I think a lot os people have neglected their plots lately. The weather has been really unencouraging for starters.

All you need is one sunny day to potter about and wash the guilt away  :)

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2007, 21:08:00 »
I've had a string of viruses, culminating in a bad dose of flu, and i hevan't had a chance to do more than a fraction of what I'd hoped. It'll soon pass, don't worry about it.

timelady

• Half Acre
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2007, 22:00:03 »
Oh shame Robert! Hope you're feeling better now. I got away lucky regarding flu so far this winter (knock on wood).

I figure I'll start in February. ;D I don't feel so bad if I'm not alone being a bad allotmenteer (is that the right word?)

Tina.

louise stella

• Hectare
  • We're half way there Mum!!!!!
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2007, 22:15:29 »
Well I planted some onion sets today and the soil was lovely to rake - just right!

A factory has just been sold next to the lottie - and  they had put a load of pallets out for us !!! - yippeee! - i'm going back tomorrow for two more!

I also planted some daffodil bulbs.........they were given to me as they had not been planted, so I just dug a trench and bunged em in!! all 10 kgs of them!  God only knows if they'll grow!!

Louise
Grow yer bugger grow!

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2007, 23:04:49 »
They should grow, it's a tossup whether they'll flower. I've put loads of late, cheap ones in the lane outside my plot; so far I get very few flowers. Hopefully time will sort that out.

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2007, 16:39:25 »
hey Tina, Think of it as letting the plot have a rest before all the hard work that it's got to do.lol Th spring will be here before you know it love then we will all feel like doing a bit more. We were out yesterday putting the greenhouse up but today has been too cold for me. Managed to dry the washing though.
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2007, 17:40:15 »
Shirl, that mountain of horse muck still there?

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2007, 08:45:09 »
Well erm. It's keeping the weeds down ain't it. We hope to get up to the new plot at the weekend,( mom willing) Have to get this greenhouse finished today and then tomorrow we have a fence to put back up at the half plot. Gee whizz I'm knackered before I start lol
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal