Author Topic: Manor Allotments Vs Olypmic Destruction  (Read 1478 times)

bennettsleg

• Hectare
  • hertford, herts. 2 windowsills, no greenhouse
Manor Allotments Vs Olypmic Destruction
« on: January 21, 2007, 15:32:44 »
You may or may not know that Manor Allotments are the 100 year old allotment site in East London that the Olympic Comittee has earmarked for destruction to become a footpath for the Olympic period.

I work in that area and always wondered where they were.  Driving to work last week there were signs showing where they were - made by the plot-holders, I think along the road I have driven down for the past three years. 

I am amazed that allotments would be able to exist in such a gawd-forsaken area - particularly in regard to the pollution from the passing traffic.  Knowing the area as I do (and how I loathe it) I also recognize that the allotments are doubtless the only verdant gem of tranqulity this industrial & run down area has.  To demolish it for the Olympics is a travesty. 

Surely one aspect of Britain is our reputation as gardeners.  Retaining the allotments would include/introduce an aspect of everyman Britian into a what is essentially a massive corporate event. However I'm sure the corporates of the Olympic bid only see a shanty town occupying expensive land.

You can sign a petition on the No. 10 Downing St website here:
http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/manorgardens/
Please note that you will have to click on an automated email that you are sent after signing.  This is to ensure your vote is valid.

Read about Manor Allotments here:
http://www.gamesmonitor.org.uk/search/node/manor+allotments

http://www.lifeisland.org/index.php?option=com_weblinks&Itemid=31

From having a read, it appears that the allotment has been offered a new site that is contaminated with asbestos & rubble from WW2, and the traveller's site (just down the road) have been earmarked to move to Hackney's Tree Nursery.

So the people who tend the earth with get untend-able earth and those that live on concrete & tarmac (remember: I drive past this site every day) will get tend-able land with a hope of growing something.

I dispair of this county and our useless, thoughtless, short-sighted, self-contradicting, brain-dead politicians.  Personally, I feel that the allotments were doomed without retreival once East London was earmarked for Olympic regeneration.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: Manor Allotments Vs Olypmic Destruction
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2007, 17:21:14 »
A lot of us have already signed up Bennettsleg... it is in one of the other areas but does no harm to keep bringing it up into the light!
 :)

bennettsleg

• Hectare
  • hertford, herts. 2 windowsills, no greenhouse
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2007, 18:04:18 »
oops - you know, I look and look, but am obviously not seeing!

micsmum

• Half Acre
  • Gottie Lottie Now!
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2007, 12:19:20 »
Bump! Signed by self and son aged 13 and an allotmenteer!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal