Produce > Non Edible Plants

Conservatory climber

(1/3) > >>

anna:
I've been repainting the roof timbers of the conservatory, and well, they're pretty ugly even after being made all shiny white (it's a 20 y old thing made out of fencing timber and double wall plastic stuff). Eventually, I'll win the lottery or something and get it rebuilt properly, but in the meantime it'll have to either be a climber or home made blinds.

I've been toying with the idea of a grape vine, but probably won;t be able to give it enough soil. And, well, it gets to 30 degrees C in there in summer, lowest temp in winter about 10. So, I could try out all kinds of exiting exotic stuff. One problem tho - I have hay fever  :-\ and I would be worried about lots of pollen coming into the house. Does anyone have any suggestions for things I could try?

Gardengirl:
If you don't want flowers Anna - how about trying a variegated ivy.  You can get some really pretty ones and I don't think they require much soil.  Just a large pot.  I grew one in a sunny corner of my lounge but had to get rid of it as it was taking over ::)  You could put some wires around the roof of your conservatory for it to cling on to.  Just a thought - hope it gives you some ideas :D :D

Mrs Ava:
hmmm....I currently only have 2 climbers in my conservatory, a grapevine in the biggest pot in the world ever, and a passion flower - no idea of type, it was a gift from a lady in Ireland.

I have attached a link to a seed site, the vine bit, not suggesting you buy seeds, but it provides some quite nice descirptions of vines and flowers to grow around your conservatory.  I see they list kiwi....hmmm..I have several outdoors, never thought of growing them in the conservatory!

http://www.nickys-nursery.co.uk/seeds/pages/vines.htm

Sorry, I haven't really been a great deal of help!

jethro:
Have you tried a banana plant? hardly flowers so should be good for the hayfever  ;D, but there again what do i know i don't have a conservatory but thought this might help?

Muddy_Boots:
Don't have any idea of pollen content but did u know u can grow pelargoniums as climbers in conservatory?  Saw some beauties in victorian heated greenhouse id dumfries/galloway some years ago.  Gardener there said they were all normal garden varieties ::)
When say pelargoniums mean what we call geraniums not posh ones :D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version