Author Topic: Changing tastes  (Read 10360 times)

moonbells

• Hectare
  • Growing up
    • Moonbells' allotment diary
Changing tastes
« on: December 14, 2005, 16:17:02 »
The one thing I find odd is how tastes change as you get older.

I wouldn't touch mushrooms till I hit puberty then they became a bit of an addiction (not not *that* kind of mushroom, you  'orrible lot!)

3 or 4 years ago I found blue cheese wasn't vile and pongy any more.

Recently I realised I didn't mind roasted parsnips any more and now rather like parsnip mash.

Anyone else find that they now like stuff they once hated?

moonbells

Diary of my Chilterns lottie (NEW LOCATION!): http://www.moonbells.com/allotment/allotment.html

katynewbie

• Hectare
  • Manchester
Re: Changing tastes
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2005, 17:09:35 »
 ;D

Ditto with the parsnips and blue cheeses!!

Also discovered that olives are delicious when I was in my 20's

However  :-[ Still cannot get my head round turnips of any kind......stupid, but there you go!!

Also, cos Mum used to put Xmas sprouts on in November I cannot abide them......love cabbage in all its forms so I do know its not logical!!

Plocket

• Hectare
  • Clematis Crystal Fountain
    • Plocket's Clematis Site
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2005, 17:22:47 »
Apparently your taste buds change every seven years!

I loathed onions as a kid, and adore them now but only cooked, I still don't like them raw. Olives are now divine!

I used to love mushrooms, bananas and tomatoes but have gone off them a bit - I will eat them though. I've only started to appreciate coffee in the last few years and have gone right off tea. I'm sure there's loads more but that's all I can think of at the moment!
The tree which moves some to tears of joy is in the eyes of others only a green thing which stands in the way... (William Blake)

Icyberjunkie

• Hectare
  • Doh..I got a slug farm,a flea beetle heaven..doh!
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2005, 17:27:37 »
Now enjoy chick peas and the like,  ditto on the cheese.  But ave never ever come around on butter beans...
Neil (The Young Ones) once said "You plant the seed, the seed grows, you harvest the seed....You plant the seed....."   if only it was that simple!!!

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2005, 17:42:47 »
Tis true.  I used to hate mushrooms til I got to 16 - same with marmalade.  Hated parnsips but now love em  :)

Never liked turnips but am going to give them a go and have some coming along nicely on the lotty.  Red in KG mag that a turnip hater could be converted by cooking them by sauting them in butter with red onion.  We'll see  :)
I came, I saw, I composted

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2005, 17:45:08 »
Loved everything, but as I have aged, now dislike pawpaw and mangoe.  Fine the taste, smell and texture of both quite offensive!  Have never like aniseed.....maybe  should give that a whirl to see if my tastes have changed.

undercarriage plan

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2005, 17:49:29 »
I was a very fussy eater as a kiddie, so my tastes have completely changed!! Love all veg now, still don't like blue cheese, cannot be in the same room as tinned tomato soup and my real eeeuuuuu food is a pineapple....have to leave the kitchen when OH cutting it up for kids! So my tastes have completely changed!

Svea

• Hectare
  • ...getting the hang of things...
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2005, 17:53:27 »
i disliked cauliflower - now love it
there are a few dislikes though which are entirely down to my mother cooking things to mush - still gingerly getting to  know leeks again, and still dont like the way my mother cooks aubergines, courgettes, leeks and quite a few other veg - she does make a nice sprout dish though - not boiled but slightly sweated in bacon fat, then little bit of water to steam them. super yummy.

who said you cant teach an old dog new tricks? ;D

edit: UC - i am with you on the blue cheese.  :-X
i offer to send you my moorish delightful pineapple chutney to convert you ;)
Gardening in SE17 since 2005 ;)

AikenDrum

• Acre
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2005, 18:02:04 »
I find that I'm starting to like women these days ..... well, just a little bit  .... but it's a start   :P
The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is the fact that it has never tried to contact us.

Plocket

• Hectare
  • Clematis Crystal Fountain
    • Plocket's Clematis Site
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2005, 18:07:07 »
OMG how did I forget to mention PINEAPPLE and CELERY? They were created by the Devil in my opinion, and if I just smell them it puts me off any food. Useful if I ever wanted to diet hey?
The tree which moves some to tears of joy is in the eyes of others only a green thing which stands in the way... (William Blake)

TULIP-23

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2005, 18:45:12 »
Earlier Liver  and Olives......hated them

Now Liver and Onion Gravy Hmmmmmmmm

Olives and FEta Cheese   Hmmmmmmmmmm
Sometimes its better to listen than to talk

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2005, 18:49:45 »
I don;t think I can actually say I have altered tastes, but I have learned to appreciate certain things, like long slow cooked stews ...

Derekthefox :D

Icyberjunkie

• Hectare
  • Doh..I got a slug farm,a flea beetle heaven..doh!
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2005, 18:50:36 »
Roll mop herrings!! Hated and now love but OH always does a runner soon as they appear haveing OD'd and then regurgitated them once while very drunk <snigger>.  That'll teach her....
Neil (The Young Ones) once said "You plant the seed, the seed grows, you harvest the seed....You plant the seed....."   if only it was that simple!!!

undercarriage plan

« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2005, 19:54:24 »
LOL@Aiken!! And with your OH on this one Icy....eeeeuuuuuu!!  Mine adores the darn things too ....And forgot my mum's homemade picalilly....it's the colour is just... :P

BAGGY

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2005, 20:05:57 »
I was the fussiest kid ever.  For years I lived on shredded wheat with hot milk, ready brek, cheesy mash and fish fingers despite my mum being a brilliant cook.  I have in the past few years 'discovered' blue cheese, green olives (dont like black), proper fish (not square and in breadcrumbs) and alcohol.  Still can't stomach ginger, marmalade, raddish and lamb - used to love mum's lamb stew.
Get with the beat Baggy

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2005, 21:05:12 »
I gew up loathing English cooking, and liking anything spicy. I haven't changed.

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2005, 21:51:48 »
Roll mop herrings!! Hated and now love but OH always does a runner soon as they appear haveing OD'd and then regurgitated them once while very drunk <snigger>.  That'll teach her....
When I was preggers that was my craving! ;D Now can't eat fish :'(  :'(  :'(  :'(
but yes tastes have changed, though I and OH will try most things, had venison fillet the other night and had to fight the kids  for it!!!!
Am hoping that oneday they will actually eat Mushrooms! I think alot of it has to do with texture.
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2005, 22:09:29 »
rollmop herrings! I adore them, have been tempted to do my own, but never got round to it ...

Derekthefox :D

daveandtara

• Acre
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2005, 22:39:32 »
i used to drink gallons of tea but went right off it when 1st pregnant (nearly 18 years ago)
never been able to drink it since!

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2005, 01:10:04 »
I went off milk years ago. I never could stand it raw, and had major problems every day with the horrible stuff they forced us to drink at school. I kept being told that I was ungrateful because 'the Queen paid for it'. What on earth did it have to do with that woman? Eventually they gave up. I still had it in tea though. Then one Christmas I forgot to buy any, went without, and discovered that I liked tea better without. The last time I had milk in anything was when I tried to drink some coffeee that had had a little put in by mistake. I could taste the repulsive stuff for the rest of the day.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal