Author Topic: Changing tastes  (Read 10358 times)

Mimi

• Hectare
  • Pretty in Pink
Re: Changing tastes
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2005, 09:25:10 »
My tastes have changes quite a bit over the years but more in what I prefer to eat than what I like or dislike.  Im one of the 'babyboomers'' so post war parents had had years of waste not, want not.  We were almost forcefed with stew when I was little (being the eldest of 5 kids folks just couldnt afford waste of anything)  Mum made stews with shine beef and to this day its the only thing that I loathe.I will try most things  and love to cook when there is a houseful. 
OH has had a major change with foods.  He loathed yoghurt and anything that looked or tasted like it.  Now after a couple of years on probiotic drinks ...........he adores the stuff.  Weird.  He is also reverting to a childhood dislike of veggies  :o  (who could loathe veggies) its beyond me.   He will now only eat peas.
Take time to stop and smell the flowers.

Annadl

• Half Acre
  • Anna from Downunder.
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2005, 09:38:50 »
My dad was from the north of Italy, mum from the south.  I ate EVERY combination they came up with.  But got really sick of tomatoes in the pasta sauces & beef and after the age of 30 couldn't stomach anything with tomato in!!

The only thing I can't stand is the smell of banana peel (very rarely eat it) and anything with grated coconut in it.  Yet I love fresh coconut but not the juice.

Nope, I think I am a rarity.  My tastes haven't changed at all.  Except since I have watched what I eat and tried to elliminate sugar & refined carbohydrates in my diet I can really taste the sugar in things I haven't eaten for a while, such as biscuits, cool drinks (taste like poison to me now), shop bought cereals & muesli bars, tomato sauce etc...  Everything tastes so sweet.

Gosh I shouldn't have answered this question ???  You've got me started!!!

Wish I had an allotment.  I love A4A.

dandelion

• Hectare
    • An Vrombaut
« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2005, 09:52:17 »
My tastes haven't really changed either. I like almost everything and always have. But then my parents would take feed me snails and frogs legs on holiday in France when I was 6! The only thing I'm not too keen on is raspberries. It's like eating perfume...

My youngest daughter's favourite food has been olives and pickles since she was a toddler. I can't leave a bowl of olives on the kitchen table ...she'll secretly eat them all ;D.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2005, 09:54:34 »
oooooooo, forgot about things like rollmops and pickles!  CAN"T STAND THEM!  Hate vinegar, UNLESS it is in my own homemade pickles or chutneys, or a little splash of GOOD balsamic in dressings or sauces.

Wouldn't eat whelks when I was a child, but loved winkles, but now don't mind whelks, altho would rather have a pint of winkles!  Used to like turbot, now cannot stand the taste, and yet, I love all other fish!!

robkb

• Hectare
  • SE London
« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2005, 09:54:46 »
Just recently I've had major conversions to custard and bread and butter pudding - hated them when I was a kid but now I love them both! Although being diabetic I probably shouldn't... :o

Cheers,
Rob ;)
"Only when the last tree has been cut down, and the last river has been poisoned, and the last fish has been caught, will we realise that we cannot eat money." - Cree Indian proverb.

terrace max

• Hectare
« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2005, 09:59:29 »
Imagine if allotments were banned - I don't think I could change back to supermarket 'fruit' and 'veg' all year  :P
I travelled to a mystical time zone
but I missed my bed
so I soon came home

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2005, 10:50:33 »
Too true TM.  I have managed without buying any carrots which I ran out of about August due to poor planning on my part  :(  Rather than buy them I've managed without, using celeriac, leeks, spuds and onions.  It grieves me now to have to buy supermarket tomatoes - although I do look for the tastiest  :)

Rob   Have you made bread and butter pudding with jam - you just spread the bread with butter and your favourite jam.  Lovely  :)
I came, I saw, I composted

katynewbie

• Hectare
  • Manchester
« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2005, 11:01:13 »
....Or bread and butter pudding with thick cut good marmalade spread on the bread. Gives it a bitter/sweet tang........slurp!!

;D

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2005, 11:03:23 »
Just realised, I don't drink tea now either, yet I used to live on the stuff...

Derekthefox :D

robkb

• Hectare
  • SE London
« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2005, 11:22:02 »
Rob   Have you made bread and butter pudding with jam - you just spread the bread with butter and your favourite jam.  Lovely  :)

That's the special low-sugar diabetic version is it Wardy? :o ;D Sounds delish though, must give it a try... and I saw a recipe somewhere the other day that had plums in it, just the picture made me drool... is it lunchtime yet?

Cheers,
Rob ;)
"Only when the last tree has been cut down, and the last river has been poisoned, and the last fish has been caught, will we realise that we cannot eat money." - Cree Indian proverb.

Carol

• Hectare
  • Scottish Borders, Berwickshire
« Reply #30 on: December 15, 2005, 14:06:59 »
I am an extremely boring eater and it should be 'what do i eat' because I haave a restricted diet due to absolutely rotten innards and fussy taste buds.  My diet has been gone over by a dietician and was told I do eat healthily.  I do not drink alcohol, tea or coffee.  So my drink is water as lots of you know!!!  I dont eat fish (cant stand it).  I eat chicken, beef, lamb, turkey.  I eat most vegetables except onions although I do flavour my stews with Onion and my soups.  I cant stand Pasta in any form.  Chinese, Indian or any foreign cooking.  I do not like cooked tomato or cheese.  My innards do not like Cauliflower, although I used to like it with a sauce.  I have started to like cooked Rice but not got round to eating it with aa meal.  So really I  eat to live and not the other way round like most folk.  Live to eat!!!!

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #31 on: December 15, 2005, 15:31:54 »
Gawd I envy you Carol  ;D  I live to eat ,and as I over indulge in all departments, the middle aged spread is well - spreading  ;D  I live on tea, coffee, alchohol, eat everything except turkey.  Don't get me wrong I adore turkey but I'm allergic to it and if I eat it I get carted off in an ambulance  ;D

So I wish I was a tee total fussy eater  ;D

Delilah

• Hectare
  • its OK to be slightly cracked!
« Reply #32 on: December 15, 2005, 17:03:35 »
Mince pies, chrissy cake and pud - only tried them again last year and love them now ;D

EJ - I loathe aniseed, got rip roaring drunk  :-[ on pernod and black when 17 and can,t even cope with the smell now!!

Have never eaten meat, got in loads of trouble when a child for not eating it (was always told to eat up my meat but not the veggies if I wasn't hungry, hows that for strange logic).  fIf I walk past a butchers shop and get a wiff of raw meat it turns my stomach...yuck!

Aiken -  ;D :D :)
If you don't make mistakes, you'll never make anything!

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #33 on: December 15, 2005, 17:56:52 »
I agree on the mince pies and fruit cake Delilah, but you forgot to mention the rhubarb wine ...

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #34 on: December 15, 2005, 18:04:10 »
I was once in a Pernod drinking competition - guess who won  ;D  Ridiculous carry on and I've never repeated the exercise  :-[

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #35 on: December 15, 2005, 19:55:56 »
Pernod arrrggghhhh!!!!!!

Delilah

• Hectare
« Reply #36 on: December 15, 2005, 20:17:35 »
, but you forgot to mention the rhubarb wine ...

and Brandy, just suddenly found a taste for a little tipple now and again ;D

and pepper, hated it as a child, now can't eat a meal without black pepper :)

I take it you won the pernod comp then Wardy - hope you weren't as ill as I was after my pernod session :(

undercarriage plan

« Reply #37 on: December 15, 2005, 20:36:30 »
Very curious, also had bad experience with pernod.....well think the experience was darn good, was the mornng after..... ::) and at 17, so same here, can't go near it....used to love it though....am smiling though,  cos what a blast!!!! ;D ;D ;D ;)

Delilah

• Hectare
« Reply #38 on: December 15, 2005, 20:41:39 »
We ve been through soooooooooooooo much together Lottie ;D

moonbells

• Hectare
  • Growing up
    • Moonbells' allotment diary
« Reply #39 on: December 15, 2005, 20:45:02 »
Pernod arrrggghhhh!!!!!!

Definitely me too!
I can't stand aniseed or liquorice - never could - and it sadly led to an embarrassing incident just after I was 18 and allowed to drink legally.  Chap in pub asked if he could buy me a drink and me having no idea what I liked, I said surprise me.

You can guess the rest.

Dunno who was more embarrassed.

Have to admit that when it comes to drinks I once had too much of and now can't touch, mine's Tequila.  Student friend had a bottle at a party one Sat night and asked me if I would like a tequila slammer (salt, lime etc). Two of those and a couple of glasses of wine were enough to give me the hangover from hell.  Still being ill at 6pm the following day...  but then again 2 glasses of wine still give me a hangover so I don't exactly have the world's greatest alcohol tolerance!

moonbells
Diary of my Chilterns lottie (NEW LOCATION!): http://www.moonbells.com/allotment/allotment.html

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal