Author Topic: Seed Catalogues  (Read 6582 times)

powerspade

Re: Seed Catalogues
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2005, 05:51:11 »
I`vs tried most of the seedsmen but the one`s that I have found to be the best are

J W Boyce
Bush Pasture
Fordham Ely Cambs C87 5JU
they supply in packets and larger quantities

also D T Brown

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2005, 11:18:42 »
I'm just finalising my King's order and drooling over the Plants of Distinction catalogue which arrived yesterday. I think I'll have to leave it till the New Year but they have some really interesting seeds if I can get them to grow. Podophyllums, which were OK last time I tried them (I had some but they were all stolen), Trilliums, which if I remember right take two years to germinate, and Chinese tree paeonies. I don't know where to start with those, yet.

plot51A

• Hectare
  • Norfolk - we do diff'rent!
« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2005, 07:41:51 »
Thanks for recommending Plants of Distinction. Their vegetable catalogue arrived yesterday - lovely, lovely ..........I feel another order coming on  ;D

Would never use just one company for my seeds as I really like trying different varieties. My current overall favourite is Seeds of Italy - but their range is limited.

ruudbarb

• Half Acre
  • Let's get dirty and dig up the spuds..........
« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2005, 11:12:53 »
I've not got that catalogue but I don't think I dare send for it  :(.     I was reading on text last night that Unwins had gone under and hundreds of staff had been laid off.

Phew, it wasn't the seed merchants but another company. 

.........just as seriious, it was the 'offy' chain..... :'(

Jockthebear.

• Not So New ...
« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2005, 19:44:13 »
I may be wrong but I don't think anybody mentioned D.T.Brown. Strikes me as a pretty good range at very reasonable prices- and I've examined them ALL! Have a look at their website.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2005, 20:07:36 »

the_snail

• Hectare
  • Be Kind to Slugs and Snails! :)
« Reply #26 on: December 23, 2005, 04:56:50 »
For a great winters read I suggest Chiltern Seeds it has a great variety of plants and flower seeds and some unusual veg. Its an adictive read. One night I started reading at 11pm in bed and next looked at the clock it was 3.35am  :o. I had to be up at 7am to get to college. Never forget that. I was shaterd the next day.

I have grown some nice perenial plants using chilterns seeds. I have grown yukkas and cordylines, also many bushes. I find growing things from seed you get alot better bushier plant, ok it may take alot longer to grow but you get what you wait for.

The_Snail
Be kind to slugs and snails!

philcooper

• Hectare
    • Hampshire Potato Day
« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2005, 19:59:22 »
There are loads of catalogues out there.

Kings printed catalogue has lots of good cultural advice. you can also get together and put in a group order to Kings and they will give you a good discount - up to 50%

Have a look at the veg page at http://www.plant-seed-mailorder.org.uk

Remember that Alan Romans is a "potato expert" not necessarily a veg expert

windygale

• Acre
  • http://spaces.msn.com/windyspot/
    • www.rushall.org.uk
« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2005, 20:29:25 »
hi all, dont worry to much, as i recieved my UNWINSDIRECT main catalogue 2006 yesterday ;D & all seeds are at 2004 prices good news
now looking for spring seeds and plants,
catch you all later
windy  :D ;)
my allotment
heaven

bupster

• Hectare
    • Plot Holes
« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2006, 14:31:47 »
Be careful with Seeds of Italy - the quantities are much higher than normal packets. I just stopped myself in time from ordering 10,000 spinach seeds for £3.99 :o
For myself I am an optimist - it does not seem to be much use being anything else.

http://www.plotholes.blogspot.com

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2006, 17:05:14 »
whew, that was a close one bupster ... my tightwad lottie neighbour swears by Franchi seeds, not only are quantities higher but he claims they have higher germination rates than the others too!   ;D

angle shades

• Hectare
  • Lincoln,Lincolnshire
« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2006, 17:17:18 »
Hello!

Try Wallis seed cat for flowers and veg, very cheap.I search Sarah Ravens cat for flowers for my cutting garden and then order them from Wallis seed and save pounds for the same seeds!

Veg are also cheap e.g. 1,500 little gem seeds for 36 p. You cant buy
a lettuce for that can you?
grow your own way

Looby Loo

• Half Acre
    • Louise Jayne photography
« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2006, 12:50:59 »
I found Seeds of Italy really helpful.  I asked a question and received a personal answer and also had a handwritten note in my speedily delivered order.

They probably all have lovely Italian accents too  :)

Merry Tiller

• Hectare
« Reply #33 on: January 12, 2006, 20:26:38 »
Can't recommend Tuckers highly enough, Alan Romans is great for the basics

bupster

• Hectare
    • Plot Holes
« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2006, 21:33:37 »
Real seeds from Vida Verde are lovely. Sent off for catalogue today - Got personal response from Kate who said she used to live on my road and the first seeds from the collection were grown on an allotment just up the way!  :)
For myself I am an optimist - it does not seem to be much use being anything else.

http://www.plotholes.blogspot.com

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal