Author Topic: Seed Catalogues  (Read 6577 times)

Ageing Rocker

• Not So New ...
Seed Catalogues
« on: December 10, 2005, 17:18:06 »
Greetings, fellow allotmenteers. May I be among the first to wish us all a happy and Productive New Year!!
Help please......
This will be my first full year and I have seen several mentions of seed catalogues on this site.
Being based in the SouthWest (Wilts/Somerset border) and so enjoying a relatively mild climate, and planning only to start withthe fundamentals (I only have a half plot for now) a) is it worth getting a catalogue and b) if so, which one would you recommend?
Thanks.   Ageing Rocker

flowerlady

• Hectare
  • "Tug-o-Weeed!"
Re: Seed Catalogues
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2005, 17:31:58 »
Hi there,

Re the catalogues, it's ALWAYS worth having a brouse!!  If you put seed catalogues into the search box you will find several threads.

If you don't find what you need I'll look mine out. 

How is the West Country, wet?  Spent many happy days in Somerset, Exmoor area.  Always remember the rain!!  ;D
To everything there is a season and a time to every purpose under heaven: a time to be born and time to die: a time to plant, and a time to pluck up what is planted.     Ecclesiastes, 3:1-2

Meg

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2005, 17:46:52 »
I like Wilkinson's oh so cheap. Netto's etc are the same to buy of course. But the magazines are quite cute to browse and dream.
Marigold

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2005, 18:51:44 »
As mentioned elsewhere, I get the majority of my seeds from Kings, ordered at significant discount through our allotment association ...

I have just received my order this morning, I have been so busy I have not even had time to open it yet !!!!

Derekthefox :D

sussexcliff

• Not So New ...
  • It's not shirt sleeve weather at the moment!
    • And I work (when I'm not at the allotment) at
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2005, 20:19:53 »
I'm beginning to think that there's all the information you might need actually available via the internet, so without the need for catalogues.

I find that for planting instructions use www.alanromans.co.uk and for the best online catalogue use www.dobies.co.uk. But Tucker's seeds website is solely to order their catalogue (though you can get a pdf ) and so far I think its the most comprehensive with 150 pages or so. (Our local allotment society has them as chosen supplier so I need a catalogue.)

The most exciting one for me is Plants of Distinction with 6 pages just of Peppers and 19 pages of tomatoes, wonderful, really amazing.

I am building up "My Own Gardeners Book" electronically so that I have the information readily to hand.
Just muddling along, trying various crops, styles etc, will repeat what works. Will try again what doesn't!!
Photo is of me ballet dancing or is it watering the strawberries?

Rose.mary

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2005, 20:32:35 »
I also have got my seeds from Kings today. 69 packets for £54. What joy!! ;D ;D ;D
This will be my 2nd year.

Rosemary

karrot

• Half Acre
  • It was a hard days digging!!
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2005, 11:49:01 »
OH MY GOD YOUR BRUCE WILLIS :o ;D

Ageing Rocker

• Not So New ...
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2005, 19:58:40 »
Good spot, Karrot......
many thanks to all who responded. There is clearly quite a variety of choice out there. I will be taking a look at all of your suggestions, and , Flowerlady, I will check the threads.The Gulf Stream is still very kind to us here and tends to dump on us on a rather frequent basis, but how else are you going to get fat spuds and onions. As we say,,,,,Tha's gurt gud, tha' is.
Thanks again to you all......

sandersj89

• Hectare
  • Who me?
    • My Allotment Blog
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2005, 12:05:25 »
I would have a look at Simpson, Seeds of Distinction, Alan Romans, HDRA, Kings.

If you want some one local try Tuckers Seeds, Asburton or Tamar Organics in Cornwall.

My normal first and second choice are Tuckers and HDRA.

Jerry
Caravan Holidays in Devon, come stay with us:

http://crablakefarm.co.uk/

I am now running a Blogg Site of my new Allotment:

http://sandersj89allotment.blogspot.com/

flower

• Half Acre
  • loves music almost as much as plants
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2005, 12:44:20 »
Theres another site in addition to some of the ones mentioned  found this one via my kitchen garden mag , its a nice site and quite cheap

www.beansandherbs.co.uk
i am an angel really honest  wink wink

chuff

• Half Acre
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2005, 21:09:28 »
Merry Christmas ageing rocker ;D I also live in in the south west and I'm also new to this, I have only ordered 1 catalogue so far from www.organiccatalogue.com which I'm really chuffed with, lots of seeds to choose from and little bits of information about each veg which comes in handy if you don't know what you want to grow or how to grow them ;D

daveandtara

• Acre
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2005, 21:46:40 »
we like 'the real seed' online catalogue by vivaverde (probably spelt that wrong) suggested by some kind soul on here  ;D
they sell non hybrids so you can collect your own seeds next season (which you can't always with F1 hybrids)
all their seeds are varieties that are likely to do well in Britain with the minimum of fuss.
ours arrived within four days of ordering
we love em!
Tara and Dave xx

plot51A

• Hectare
  • Norfolk - we do diff'rent!
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2005, 11:07:14 »
flower: Thanks for the link to beansandherbs, looks great as I am definitely a beanfreak. Must read my KG mag more carefully.

real food

• Acre
    • Growing Your Own fruit and Vegetables
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2005, 18:43:26 »
Anyone know why the alanromans site, mentioned earlier, is not operating?
See the quick guide to Growing, Storing, and the Healthy Cooking, of your own Fruit and Vegetables at www.growingyourown.info

Lady Cosmos

• Acre
  • Lady of the dunes
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2005, 19:02:34 »
the site is:
alanromans.com
it works fine for me ???

flower

• Half Acre
  • loves music almost as much as plants
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2005, 22:00:43 »
periwinkle you are welcome :) it doesn't mention how many seeds you get re the beans etc so i sent an e-mail , which was replied to very quickly( this was the reply as to how many seeds you get)

Thank you for your email enquiry.
With the beans, a lot depends on the variety. Our heirloom beans which are
rare might contain a minimum of 26 per pack. The climbing beans in the main
catalogue have about 36-50, and the dwarf varieties about 75. If customers
want more they order two packs.
The herb packets each contain plenty for one year's crop, and if they are
perennials there would be lots to give away or sell on.
Generally in the vegetable line, we put enough seed for one season's crop
for a large family.
We hope this helps

real food did you get the cookies not enabled etc  if so just do what i did and click on  a link at the side i.e  potatoes and then it works fine   
« Last Edit: December 13, 2005, 22:03:56 by flower »
i am an angel really honest  wink wink

ruudbarb

• Half Acre
  • Let's get dirty and dig up the spuds..........
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2005, 22:38:07 »
"a) is it worth getting a catalogue and b) if so, which one would you recommend?
Thanks.   Ageing Rocker"

It is always worth getting a catalogue, in fact get a few as usually they are free.  If left with only one to have, I'd go for Thompson & Morgan's as it is the most comprehensive and useful as a starting point.  All the main seed suppliers do on-line catalogues with wide ranging prices.  It is difficult to equate one against the other, especially with people like T & M who throw in 'free' packets of seed and charge a nominal sum for carriage.  Don't forget that 'carriage paid' has to be included in the seed costs somewhere.

The current [January 2006] issue of Gardener's World magazine has a very comprehensive 'Seed Buyers Bible' to suppliers with internet addresses for most of them. 

real food

• Acre
    • Growing Your Own fruit and Vegetables
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2005, 19:47:19 »
Anyone know why the alanromans site, mentioned earlier, is not operating?
I clicked on the web address given earlier in this thread, but it takes you to someone called easyspace, This domain has been reserved etc, etc.
This is the wrong web address!!!
I have found the correct one now having done a Google search. It is www.alanromans.com
The site confirms that it is run by the potato guy, who I met the other year at the Borders Potato day. It is well worth attending your nearest  potato day to buy a few tubers, and experiment with different varieties.
See the quick guide to Growing, Storing, and the Healthy Cooking, of your own Fruit and Vegetables at www.growingyourown.info

sussexcliff

• Not So New ...
  • It's not shirt sleeve weather at the moment!
    • And I work (when I'm not at the allotment) at
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2005, 19:57:57 »
Mea culpa, I'm sorry, I stated the wrong address for alanromans.

This type of error is precisely the reason why I set auto-hyperlinks; so that once I've got it right, it always works.

Again very sorry for the confusion.
Cliff
Just muddling along, trying various crops, styles etc, will repeat what works. Will try again what doesn't!!
Photo is of me ballet dancing or is it watering the strawberries?

vee

• Acre
  • Ashton-under-Lyne, near Manchester
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2005, 23:17:08 »
Oh dear! I've just done an order for onions and seeds to Dobie's and also King's. Hope I haven't made a mistake. Having said that my grandad always used to buy his seeds from Dobies years and years ago, so I feel as if I'm carrying on something of his. He used to have seedlings in the airing cupboard and under his bed and all over the house when I was young and wasn't in the least interested. He grew the most amazing double shirley poppies by saving the best seed each year - i  wish I had some of them now.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal