Author Topic: What a lark?  (Read 1373 times)

Sprout

• Acre
What a lark?
« on: January 12, 2006, 10:07:35 »
I've been given a packet of T&M Lark sweetcorn seeds.
Does anyone have any experience of growing/eating these? Any good? Worth growing?
Mansfield Woodhouse, Nottinghamshire

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
Re: What a lark?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2006, 10:49:09 »
I have not grown them myself, as I tend to stay with large growers packs of Kelvedon Glory (Kings), but the info via google is quite impressive  - I just typed lark sweetcorn into google and got lots of hits  ...

All I can say is lucky you ...

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2006, 11:34:48 »
Never tried them as I find T&M pricey to say the least-but as you were given them?

Tell you what-grow them and we will arrange a party for members nearby to taste test them-if sunny on the barbie,if raining in the polytunnel ;D

moonbells

• Hectare
  • Growing up
    • Moonbells' allotment diary
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2006, 12:54:55 »
I grew them last season and have them on the plan for this year too!

Very nice tasting, very sweet, almost exploded when I bit into them, they are that tender. Grew 1-2 cobs per plant. Liked them a lot better than the previous year's Ovation (only one cob per, sweet but has to be isolated).

Not as early as I've had before, though, and had to chit the seeds first as I seem to have had to do to everything this last May.  I think it was just too cold and damp to get large-seeded things growing well. But got a good crop eventually!

moonbells

Diary of my Chilterns lottie (NEW LOCATION!): http://www.moonbells.com/allotment/allotment.html

real food

• Acre
    • Growing Your Own fruit and Vegetables
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2006, 19:23:17 »
"Lark" is one of the best varieties of Sweetcorn, so sweet and tender. It is a midseason variety. "Swift" is the earlier twin variety, and also very good.
 However, take care over germination of these thin skinned varieties to prevent rot.
I now germinate the seeds, just covered by vermiculite, in individual cells and grow them on, to plant out after all danger of frost has passed. I get good crops, even this far north in Glasgow.
See the quick guide to Growing, Storing, and the Healthy Cooking, of your own Fruit and Vegetables at www.growingyourown.info

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal