Author Topic: Overweight tomato trusses  (Read 8088 times)

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
Overweight tomato trusses
« on: August 29, 2005, 22:28:53 »
Does anyone have any tips for supporting overladen tomato trusses, to stop them bending and breaking?

My 'Shirley's in particularl have gone mad with fruit this year and the fruit has become too heavy for the trusses to suport them. I have tried tying them up with twine but in many cases theres nothing strong enough to tie them too.

Advice please

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
Re: Overweight tomato trusses
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2005, 22:55:42 »
Save those pieces of nylon netting the supermarkets use to hold oranges and other fruits, cut them into baby hammocks put then under the trusses and tie them up to the main stem. :)

the wizards sleeve

• Not So New ...
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2005, 23:38:19 »
aye cracking bit of info that like

weedin project

• Acre
  • twig > leaf > flower > fruit > juice > WINE!!!
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2005, 23:42:06 »
Roy's got a point - netting is one way to support them, but I think tomatoes are too prolific for that.  Last year at West Dean Tomato Festival I bought a packet of plastic "truss supports" (but I have to confess I haven't used them this year), which might help.
The problem is probably exacerbated by wind movement - my San Marzanos in the greenhouse are hugely overladen and have just got on with it without any problem (yet); my other toms in the open have really suffered, especially in the wind and rain over the past week.  A sudden blast of blight hasn't helped them either :'(.  Next year I am going to get some serious support into my outdoor toms to see if it helps - sadly a bamboo cane and a bit of twine doesn't seem to be the answer :(.
"Given that these are probably the most powerful secateurs in the world, and could snip your growing tip clean off, tell me, plant, do you feel lucky?"

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2005, 23:55:45 »
Nice idea about the netting for the trusses. Now, if i could only find a way to stop the combined weight of ALL the trusses  pulling the whole plant over (despite bamboo canes and lots of twine), then i'll be laughing!

No seriously, any thing stronger than bamboo canes to be recomended anyone? I they just weren't quite enough this year.  ::) Better system to be had than individual staking perhaps?

weedin project

• Acre
  • twig > leaf > flower > fruit > juice > WINE!!!
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2005, 00:04:51 »
GC
as hinted in my earlier post, I'm looking at a more substantial support system next year - a framework made of copper water pipes soldered together is favourite.  My dear old dad is an ex-soldering lecturer (yes, it is a serious subject when you are trying to build satellites for the European Space Agency and you want their electrics to work!) and it's great that he's offered to help me out (whilst spending my inheritance :o).
It'll be expensive in pipe and joints, but it might be the answer.  I'm hoping for a frame I can shove into the ground and then bind the canes to.
"Given that these are probably the most powerful secateurs in the world, and could snip your growing tip clean off, tell me, plant, do you feel lucky?"

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2005, 00:07:24 »
No seriously, any thing stronger than bamboo canes to be recomended anyone? I they just weren't quite enough this year.  ::) Better system to be had than individual staking perhaps?

If you can't trust Bamboo to hold things up then your stumped ;D

http://www.phototour.minneapolis.mn.us/3316

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2005, 00:13:25 »

If you can't trust Bamboo to hold things up then your stumped ;D

http://www.phototour.minneapolis.mn.us/3316

Hmmm..... Interesting Roy. I really meant , what alternatives are there to individual staking in general, not to bamboo AS stakes. Particularly for inside aliuminium greenhouses. Thanks

Amazin

• Hectare
  • N W London
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2005, 00:32:45 »
Rather than individual vertical bamboo canes, what about an overlapping diagonal grouping in a trellis effect?
Lesson for life:
1. Breathe in     2. Breathe out     3. Repeat

tilts

• Acre
  • Boom Boom boom Boom Esso blue!
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2005, 01:46:04 »
I have seen tights used as hammocks, not only for tomatoes within a teepee type of frame (like some runner beans), but also for melons in a greenhouse. :)
Tread softly or you'll tread on my dreams.....Yeats

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2005, 06:37:21 »
You lucky people with all those tomatoes!!

bananagirl

• Half Acre
    • Bananagirl's Blog
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2005, 11:28:48 »
I tried making a framework thingy out of bamboo for my tomatoes last year, and just ended up with the whole lot toppling over. This year I have gone for individual stakes made from a broken up baby cot. Working a treat. Don't have so many plants this year though. Next year I may actually bang together a solid support system. At the lottie round the corner, they seem to favour the pipe work trellis. It's used for everything from beans to melons.
Nothing rhymes with orange...
http://downamongtheflowers.blogspot.com/

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2005, 13:51:29 »
Hmmm... Plenty of ideas there. Food for thought. Thanks

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal