Author Topic: bit quiet...  (Read 8799 times)

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
Re: bit quiet...
« Reply #40 on: August 12, 2005, 19:10:20 »
Thats ok Lottie, apology unnecessary. I am just still a bit twitchy, it will take a jug of sangria to sort that out I think. The passports are now well secured inside my personal bag, paper bags not needed, they give them out free on the ferry !  :D

undercarriage plan

« Reply #41 on: August 12, 2005, 19:33:35 »
OOOO you lucky thing!! Free paper bags!! Grab me some D! :-\ ; Lottie  ;D

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #42 on: August 12, 2005, 22:03:45 »
Too early to start celebrating yet but my not going on holiday again might be about to change.  My OH who worked on a coalface for yonks and who has a history of lung problems (spontaneous pneumothorax) etc has heard today he might be getting a one off payment of £1400

It worries me me though as you have to say you'll never ever come back at the  coal board and yet my son who is only 23 and never been near a pit has just had a spontaneous pneumorthorax and it's taken about a month for him to get to some kind of normality.  So who's to say problems won't recur.

Anyway the upshot is we might have £1400 we might not have otherwise have had so we're thinking of going to Cornwall and the Scilly Isles.  That is if we get the money any time soon  :)
I came, I saw, I composted

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #43 on: August 12, 2005, 22:29:58 »
fingers crossed  :)
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #44 on: August 12, 2005, 23:37:06 »
Wardy. My fingers are also crossed and my toes (might have to uncross toes now and again as I keep getting cramp!!) Best wishes and GOOD LUCK Lorna.

Icyberjunkie

• Hectare
  • Doh..I got a slug farm,a flea beetle heaven..doh!
« Reply #45 on: August 13, 2005, 01:55:53 »
BYEEEEEEEEE   I'm off today - tomorrow - whatever lol  See you all in a week with tales of how well my lottie has been looked after!  No not that lottie - my patch of earth lottie.

Talking of lottie look after her too - we're all leaving her with just Bob for company.  oh and some otter..... lolol at responses but couldn't resist.

BYeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee  {GG}  Iain
Neil (The Young Ones) once said "You plant the seed, the seed grows, you harvest the seed....You plant the seed....."   if only it was that simple!!!

undercarriage plan

« Reply #46 on: August 13, 2005, 10:02:01 »
HAd to mention Bob didn't you..sob :'(... ;D Have a great time Icy, tis OK, have Ploytunnel to get on with and I hope, mates here, Rosebud???? ;D Jcb to polish, otter training to get on with...all sorts!!!! And swing  (?) dancing to Glen Miller band at Blenheim tomorrow!!! Been practicing 2 step :-\ Lottie ;D

redimp

• Hectare
« Reply #47 on: August 13, 2005, 12:27:40 »
Considering the weather  :'( it is still very quiet on here.  Oh well I have an appointment at Meadow Lane at 3pm.

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #48 on: August 13, 2005, 12:55:32 »
Enjoy yourself at Notts today  :)   It will be quiet here too as OH is going to Chesterfield match - again!  Went Blackpool Saturday, then at home on Wednesday and now at home again.  I never see him  :)  It's a local derby today - playing Rotherham.    I was supposed to be at a barby this afto on the LOTTY and we've been planning it for over a week and now it's all off because of awful weather. We were going to be using all our produce too  :'(    So I'll be listening to the match on the radio but relaxing at home.  Should be cleaning up my B & B after guests have left but I can't be bothered.  I was up again at the crack of dawn cooking breakfast as my guests said they wanted full English so I have to be up an hour earlier than them to get me sausages on.   They came to brekky at 8.30 and only wanted bacon and scrambled egg!  I could have stayed in bed  ;D 

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #49 on: August 13, 2005, 14:18:15 »
rain reached us at 1.30pm today.. I had just finished removing a lot of ivy from garage side. boy was that a b.....er!! .I want to kill it off have got too much ivy round the garden and with the conifer hedge between me and Lorna I am finding it a little difficult to cope with all that trimming (in my old age).
Couple of kids went past on their cycles and looked at me in a most strange way, then I realized I had my sons spraying mask on probably thought funny old girl. :o
Last time I cleared ivy by pulling it away from the wall without a mask I had a job breathing.
Wardy sorry about your barby but hope you are making most of your rest.
Lorna.

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #50 on: August 14, 2005, 12:46:22 »
So much for my rest!  The barby went ahead as planned!  I didn't get the message til about 2.00 pm that it was still on,and it was starting at four, and not a thing prepared as I assumed it would be off.  They are a "never say die" bunch and a downpour didn't deter them  so they sent me off to the lotty to get red onions, cues, beans etc.  I got absolutely drowned but no time to shower as veggie kebabs etc to prepare.  For a laugh we made my old man a totally courgette kebab (he hates em)  ;D  We had a huge veggie spread (all lotty produced too) well, cept for sweetcorn which wasn't ready  :(  It cost me £1.85 per pack of two cobs  :o  AS all the "younger" folks  ;) had grown the veg the elderly ladies in our group made the puddings.  They were fab - all fruit jobs like rasp pavlovas etc.  My niece had four different puds  ;D  Lovely time had by alll even though the rain lashed down  :)

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #51 on: August 14, 2005, 13:10:14 »
I am so impressed Wardy! I love these 'never say die' events, they are so much fun and everyone remembers them afterwards. Not that I get involved in much myself, although I did do a couple of barbies for the technicians at work, during our summer break. Classed as team building . . .

redimp

• Hectare
« Reply #52 on: August 14, 2005, 13:28:21 »
Our top lottie bloke is very happy.  Every year he has tried to organise things and nobody has turned up.  This year, as seems typical thorughout the country, he has had an influx of keen newbies (me included).  Nowadays he organises a meeting and we turn up.  So he has organised a lottie get together and veggy show which we are all looking forward to.  He is having a much better year.

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #53 on: August 14, 2005, 17:07:44 »
That sounds promising RC.  If you get a strong team of folks on the lotties you get more done.  Our open day raised loads of dosh for the society - more than they've had for years.  Are they happy though?  Are they eck!  ;D

Our lotty barbie (although not on the lotty as planned due to rain) was a right success and I've never seen so much veggie inspired food.  I am a real pig but I can honestly say I only had one sausage and all the rest was veggie kebabs and salads etc.  Had far too much to drink though and have been paying for it all day.  I've had about 30 cups of tea   ;D 

undercarriage plan

« Reply #54 on: August 15, 2005, 08:42:25 »
Sounds wonderful, Wardy.  I'd love to get involved with something like that, but I have noone near my lottie for miles, it's on a piece of diused farmland!! Might throw myself a party, but worried I won't turn up!!! However on brighter note, have started bonfire construction for a big Guy fawkes party, like they used to have when I was a kid, miss those, hoping to get most of village there, by force if necessary!! Threaten them with a marrow...... Lottie  ;D

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #55 on: August 15, 2005, 09:11:56 »
I was on my own on the plots yesterday for a couple of hours just pottering about with no-one but the birds for company  :)  Picked a whopper of a squash which will be tonight's tea - either curry or soup  :)
I have one lotty neighbour who's great!  She's away though and the chap on the next plot is a squatting rent dodger so if he comes he just throws a few ashes about and leaves very quicky  :(  On the other side is a bungalow with the most vicious dog in the world (ate his fellow guard dog so rumour has it).  So that side of my lotty tends to get a bit neglected  ;D
I've got to find some room for the brassica collection I've ordered.  I've got a massive plot but it's mostly still black plastic with squashes romping all over it.  I'm going to use the space where me spuds have been but couch is coming through thick and fast worse luck  :(

undercarriage plan

« Reply #56 on: August 15, 2005, 13:36:24 »
I am very lucky, but I l know no other person who grow there own veg, let alone has a lottie.  Probably why I spend so much time on here!! OH likes eating them, kids like running around there, but the only knowledgeable local I know is my Dad, he was a farmer so we have very differing views!!! He knows how to grow 15 acres of spuds, but not quite the same, I feel!! My lottie freinds/advice/social veg bit is here....and in truth, I wouldn't have it any other way!!! Lottie  ;D

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #57 on: August 15, 2005, 13:56:27 »
It's funny innit that some folk think your mad to grow veg.  People have looked at me as if I'm an alien.  "Oh we get ours from the supermarket"  ;D
Fortunately my brother is lotty mad and I have made a real chum (bloke) through my lottying.  We wouldn't have become mates if not for our plots and now we go out socially and find we have loads of things in common.  I get on better with him than the old man  ;D  We are like kids though with our enthusiasm and he's had his lotty for years so I suppose he's passed that on to me.  We swop and share stuff plus he's a great cook and always has some delicious morsels for me.  His chilli stuffed pickled onions are fantastic  ;D  Our in bloom group are always messing about on the plots too so it's a real community with oldies, middle aged, young folks and kids.  It's great and we love to get together to eat, drink and be merry.  Any excuse to celebrate is seized on.  We have a couple of farmers on here who grow wheat and cabbages and the acres of cabbage provide food for all the caterpillars.  Keeps em away from ours so we co-exist happily  :)

undercarriage plan

« Reply #58 on: August 16, 2005, 11:54:05 »
I have a little stall outside the house where I sell excess if I'm out of freezer space, the veg sell really quickly and peeps love the taste of it.  Doesn't seem to occur to them to grow their own!!! I was surprised to learn that a neighbouring farmer has to spray every fortnight to keep blight of his spuds, didn't realize it was so regularly, so glad I grow my own.  Would hate my future Great grand children to have 2 heads cos of all the chemicals ingested now... :-\ Lottie

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #59 on: August 16, 2005, 20:14:39 »
Dont panic guys if you think I should be on holiday !
I am just posting this via an internet cafe in Spain - how sad is that?
I am regarded the same way, ie a bit of a strange one for wanting to grow vegetables. Fortunately I couldnt care tuppence . . .  :D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal