Produce > Edible Plants

starting sowing

(1/3) > >>

campanula:
well.i have sweet peppers, something nardello, which, according to the seed packets, should be started, with heat, in December!
Trouble is, i cannot quite bring myself to believe that it all starts again RIGHT NOW! Is anyone else about to start sowing for next year?
I did broad beans back in october and garlic and onion sets plus fruit but they didn't seem 'to count' as being part of next years crops - still warm and mild when sowed for a start.
So, should I start soaking my jiffies right now, this weekend. How exciting.
cheers suzy

tim:
With only a cold 'house, I can't start my peppers etc till late March, so cool it!! = Tim

PS But if you plan to have them in a warm home, then February?

Palustris:
December 21st for Onions.?

Mrs Ava:
I am always far to keen to get things started early, impatient or what!  But, I have found that later sowings do seem to catch up. Mind you, earlier sowings that have had to suffer a colder spell do seem to make tougher wee plants, or is that my wishful thinking and excuse for getting out there and sowing!   Even tho my greenhouse is heated, I shall be a little bit more patient this/next year and wait until February before I get things going.

tim:
- another quick thought - it's not just even warmth that they need, but , importantly, LIGHT (after emergence).

I think it's correct to say that chillies & aubs need the earliest treatment? But even putting out into the cold 'house in late April, I still get things knocked by frost. Keep forgetting  to 'fleece' them!

And EJ, do you heat yours right through the year? Or are you just 'frost free'? = Tim

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version