Produce > Edible Plants

garlic - again!

<< < (2/3) > >>

tim:
EJ - don't know - with no expertise, I haven't bothered with fert before, and am just giving them K this year for good measure. Question arises - if you would normally use a general fert before planting, and you plant now, should you add the extra K to that??

ruud - that's what I had come to believe, but 'my' grower says that, planted now, they grow on without a check, and are therefore happier!! Can but try!! = Tim

aquilegia:
Does this apply when it's only a month since you planted your garlic?

(dons dence mode) Is tomato feed potash?

tim:
1. This was my question - with a quick acting fert it seems a bit soon?  And applies more to the autumn planted cloves? I'll check back with the chap for next year. I've plagued him enough for one year!

2. In a way - tom food is high in K, but also has N & P in it. Chap reckons most garden soils are rich in nutrients, but a good dose of K (at least) is a good thing.  Tim

jammyd:
Hi all, I haven't got my garlic in yet  (busy building the raised beds)
How late can I leave it before I pop 'em in?

ta,
jams  8)

philcooper:
Jammyd,

The usual advice at this time of year is to start them off in pots (I've used the 7cm square little black ones) in a cold greenhouse or cool window ledge as they will sit around for quite a time doin not much if you plant now. They do prefer a long growing season.

On fertiliser, as potash is for fruiting, it seems a little early and as an organic gardener I would give them some Fish, Blood and Bone - come to think of it, I will (at least half of them to see if it makes any difference)

Phil

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version