Author Topic: Any one NOT suffered from tomato blight?  (Read 11831 times)

telboy

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
Any one NOT suffered from tomato blight?
« on: August 16, 2009, 22:07:00 »
I've had enough. Stopped main crop spuds 2 yrs. ago after 30 years of trouble free growing but to loose my toms. this year AGAIN was a step too far. There are no toms. growing anywhere in range!
P*ssed off & that's it!
>:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(
Eskimo Nel was a great Inuit.

grotbag

• Hectare
  • granddaughter(miya) in Christchurch,Dorset
Re: Any one NOT suffered from tomato blight?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2009, 22:21:24 »
sorry bout your loss but i seem ok down here (dorset),did suffer last year .

thifasmom

• Hectare
  • Growing my own, rocks!!! Maidstone, Kent.
    • Kella's Creative Wishes: Handmade Jewellery & Lots more.
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2009, 22:24:32 »
i think i have found some on my toms today but it seems quite localised on the variety ailsa craig. i've trimmed off the affected leaves we aren't due any wet weather till wednesday night so we'll see if the plant copes.

PS so sorry for your loss.

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2009, 22:37:27 »
Has anyone had success with the blight resistant tomatoes like FERLINE or LEGEND?

Duke
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

ceres

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2009, 23:01:02 »
i've had an odd leave or two but I use Bordeaux Mix.  A plot neighbour gave me some blight tolerant Fantasio F1 which have been the first to ripen and are untouched at the moment.  They look different to all the other varieties I'm growing - the foliage is more blue and the leaves are thicker and stronger.

muddylou

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2009, 23:13:55 »
My neighbour to the right and myself have lots of Tom plants which at the moment are going great guns. Two other plot holders only twenty yards away have had to dig up their Tomato plants through blight. We can only think that the prevailing winds are kind to us, but who knows what we'll find tomorrow. 

gardenqueen

• Acre
  • Love to garden.
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2009, 19:35:32 »
Just pulled up the last of my outdoor tomato plants today! I gave them a chance but to no avail! That's it now, not going to grow them again!  >:(

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2009, 19:38:30 »
Managed to avoid it last year with my outdoor plants yet a client who lives close to me got it badly on his indoor plants.

This year have so far lost 4 plants (all one variety - arrgh!) and the test have it to varying degrees. Thanks in part to good husbandry and Bordeaux mixture spraying, an still managing to get a crop off the surviving plants. That said that crop probavbly wont be eaten raw and will mostly go into soups, sauces and pickle. I have my indoor fruits (coming along nicely thanks) for that straight off the vine enjoyment!

Thank goodness the weather has changed (here at least). I dread to think what would have happened if the wet had continued much longer.

Ishard

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2009, 19:55:05 »
All my toms have gone for the second year running so I wont be growing them again.

Ive managed to top the spuds so I will have a main crop but Im not sure how well PFA have done as its so early for them.

Such is life eh?

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2009, 19:56:25 »
We don't grow outdoor toms anymore cos of the blight.
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

muddylou

• Half Acre
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2009, 20:10:57 »
My neighbour to the right and myself have lots of Tom plants which at the moment are going great guns. Two other plot holders only twenty yards away have had to dig up their Tomato plants through blight. We can only think that the prevailing winds are kind to us, but who knows what we'll find tomorrow. 

Spoke too soon, just had to pull my first one up, probably the ones beside it will have it by tomorrow. I have some growing in another area on the plot so fingers crossed for them.

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2009, 20:11:22 »
None here, but it's one of the few bonuses of only having a small garden surrounded by others who don't seem to bother to grow anything other than weeds.  In all the years I've been growing Toms I've only had blight once and I remember how disappointing it was.  I'm sorry so many of you are suffering.

G x
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

Eristic

• Hectare
  • NW London (Brent)
    • Down the Plot
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2009, 20:16:15 »
My site was clear until last week and is spreading slowly. I've defoliated my outdoor plants to try to get a few more fruit to ripen.

small

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2009, 20:49:47 »
I often wish I had an allotment rather than just a garden, mostly  for the company,  but not when blight crops up.  I don't suffer from it, there are virtually no other veg grown near me and no agriculture other than hayfields, I feel so lucky.  Sorry for all of you who have lost stuff, I've had onion rot this year and it's devastating to see food rotting despite all you can do.

landimad

• Hectare
  • Me wheels have gone again. Northants UK
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2009, 20:52:21 »
Well so far I have not been hit. But I will not count my chickens as there are others with it in the area. I will of course keep a close eye on them.

Got them back now to put some tread on them

Jeanbean

• Half Acre
  • Make the most of today....
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2009, 20:54:13 »
Had to remove 3 plants today. :( They were all Roma. Have some Golden Nugget and Alicante in a different area that seem unaffected. main crop Maris Piper and cara have it but haven't yet had time to remove the tops. How quickly should the tops be removed? Are all the potatoes likely to be no good? This is the first year of alootment growing. Other crops have bben very rewarding. Such a shame about these. :'(

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2009, 21:32:41 »
Two of my eight outdoor plants were binned two weeks ago. Then I removed affected leaves on a daily basis until three days ago. Since then no more leaves have been affected, although two stems appear to have an inch or so of blight on them - so I'm still at 'fingers crossed' stage and hoping...........

Tricia

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2009, 21:35:11 »
West Deeping is reporting all clear so far :)

aggie

• Half Acre
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2009, 21:45:47 »
Sorry about your toms Telboy. Mine seem OK but they are in the green house. No one else grows veg near me, i don't have an allotment just a garden. but really tyring to be self sufficient with veg this year. Have put in large raised beds.

SMP1704

• Hectare
  • Isleworth, Middlesex
    • Allotment Life
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2009, 22:06:35 »
(in a whisper, in case the tom fairy hears)  Not here, so far.  According to BlighWatch, there have only been 4 full Smith days since the start of July and none of them consecutive - so I have been talking sternly to the outdoor toms.  I did snip off a few dodgy looking leaves on Saturday.

A lottie neighbour who practically had a tomato farm, has had all of theirs wiped out - could that be because they were do densly planted??

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal